Bush master

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by deathkricket, Mar 19, 2011.

1. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Just picked up my first AR 15, its a bush master 5.56 with a M4 style upper. i do have one question, when i put on the free floating surefire quad rail the slip ring at the reciver wiggles a little, will that cause any problems with the riffle? other then the fact that the barrel looks like it had a very bad powder coat job i love it and cannot wait to get out this week and break it in.

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Congrats on your new SUR :)

As for the free float rail I doubt any wiggle from it will cause any serious harm. But I cold see having accuracy issues if you have a front sight or mount any optics to it. Any chance you could give us some pics?

I'm sure others will be along and may offer better help :eek:

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Are you talking about the Delta Ring?

[​IMG]

Is the delta ring factory installed? Check to see if its properly installed. It might be the entire thing, barrel nut and all, moving. Does your barrel have excessive play? It could be that the portion of the rail that fits inside the delta ring doesn't match up well causing the extra movement.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  4. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Yes its the delta ring, the way the surefire quad rail is made the bottom half hooks into the back and the top half of the rail system hooks into the front causing the top of the delta ring to lean forward and wiggle around a little bit, the rail system itsself does not move at all, just the ring. the first is with factory heat gaurd, the second is with the rail and the 3rd you can see how the delta ring leans forward at the top with the rail installed.

Attached Files:

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Looks like it could be crossthreaded...have you taken it apart to check the threads on the receiver and the ring itself?

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Somethings not fitting properly. It looks like the delta ring isnt seating properly. The top should snap all the way back.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yeah. You definitely have a misalignment with the Delta Ring and the Receiver or something inside isn't lining up correctly. I agree with mjkeat, that top part of the ring should snap all the way back flush.

8. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Thats what i figured to but the way the top rail installs it is not long enough snap into the back, when seated into the front ring that holds it on it is about a quater inch short of begining to reach the delta ring, according to the rail instructions thats how it supose to sit, instead of hooking in like the factory gaurd on the front and back, the surefire rail only hooks on the top front and the bottom back and wedges itself in with 2 screws. theres nothing wrong with the delta ring it is installed right and works the right way with the factory heat shield. below is a drawing of how it hooks in. according to the instructions its on right but i just cant see a $200 dollor rail being so sloppy unless it is supose to fit like that. the top and bottom rails are so short that to put them on i dont have to pull the delta ring back they just drop right on and the you drive 2 screws into the front to wedge them apart to the front and back yet they are the right ones for the rifle.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I wonder why they dont want possitive contact on all sides?

Whats the model#, and proper name for the Surefire rail you have?

10. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

surefire model M73, rail mount assembly,M4

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Deathkricket,

I could not tell from the picture. But the part of the Rail (The Bottom Rail) with the long tab sticking out goes on the bottom and faces the Bayonet Lug. You put the bottom on first "always". Then you put the top section on with the screws to the front by the Barrel Handguard Plate. They provide a small squeeze container of Blue Loctite. Put a drop of Blue on the Screws and just snug them! Do not over tighten them. The scissor action of the two pieces with the top going forward and the bottom being pushed back can actually bend the End Plate. Please advise! If your barrel nut is tight, Delta Ring is installed correctly and the Snap Ring is in place? Then it is just an adjustment on the Quad Rail.

12. Sniper03

Accuracy wedge

Deatkricket

You can get a Accuracy Wedge for the Bushmaster to tighten the upper and lower receiver play up. Although it is a little loose like most Bushmasters, it should not effect your accuracy any by it having a little play. But to tighten it up get one of the wedges. It goes down underneath the Take Down Pin and easy to install with no problem.

13. jesseingall

jesseingall New Member

this is somewhat related to the topic so ill post it here instead of a new thread. I just installed a YHM free float handguard and i tightened everything down but the handguard still wiggles a little. does that mean i have to tighten down the jam nut more? and if so what do you suggest I use? I have an armorers wrench but nothing on that will fit. should i use a flat head screw driver and a hammer to try to tighten it down? thanks

14. Sniper03

I am not sure of which one you are speaking of so I will start with their standard design YHM Free Float Quad Rails. They are in three pieces. The actual Quad Rail Tube, The Lock Ring and the Barrel Nut that is threaded and has holes in the front all the way through it so it can be torqued to specification. First of all is the Barrel Nut Torqued to a minimum of 35 ft. Lbs or more?
    If so the Lock Ring should be moved to the rear even with the back of the Barrel Nut. Then the actual Quad Rail should be screwed on. I also clean the threads on the Barrel Nut and inside the Quad Rail and add three or four dots of Blue Loctite on them before threading on the Quad Rail into it's final position. Screw the Quad Rail all the way back until it makes contact with the Lock Ring. Keep in mind you also need a bubble level or a fixture that will assure the Flat Top on the Receiver and the top Rail on the Quad Rail are level side to side with each other. You can use a large screwdriver to tighten the Lock Ring if you do not have a spanner wrench. But use caution not to damage it. And be sure the level does not change while you are doing it. No you do not want any movement at all and should not have any! Please let us know if we can be of additional assistance. The guys here on the FTF are very knowledgeable in this area. If it is of a different design please advise.

15. jesseingall

jesseingall New Member

Yes it is the free float diamond quad rail. ok so the jam nut(lock nut) should be tightened right up to the quad rail. the barrel nut isn't tight to the receiver because if it were tight to it the hole wouldn't align for the gas tube. should i just tighten it way down so the next hole is aligned? that may fix it but im not sure what to use to tighten the barrel nut down tight. thank you and I knew you guys would know what I was talking about.

16. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Thx for the advice sniper ill give it a try and let you know how it turns out.

17. jesseingall

jesseingall New Member

Ok well im kind of an idiot i realized. i had to tighten that barrel nut down so it'd align with the holes. i just didn't want to over tighten it and thats why i never really did it but I just watched some youtube videos about it. Luckily i had those pins on my armorers wrench to tighten it. took a lot of sweat but I got the holes aligned and it definitely wont be moving. thank you again guys.

18. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Sniper, i put it back on that way and it was still wedging the delta ring so, i ended up picking up a new mil spec one that has full contact for very very cheap so ill get rid of the surefire, it is kinda weird that it does not make full contact, anyway i just picked up a eotech baby halo and my front grip so now its complete. I am thinking of getting a young's match grade chrome bolt carrier group but that will come later.

Attached Files:

19. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Glad you got squared away.

For a battle/combat rifle like build a BCM or DD BCG might be an awesome addition.