Bums Squatting in Bank Repo House Across The Street

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by mrm14, Feb 11, 2011.

1. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

So about 3 months ago the neighbor across the street let his house go back to the bank and left. There was this one bum guy that had helped him load and move his stuiff to his new house (rental) over in Elk Grove. The guy that left, gave the bum guy permission to live in his backyard.

I didn't see much activity across the street in the beginning when the bum guy was living in the backyard in a tent, but about the last month theres a woman living there and about 10 other guys. These folks are local known street bums and have been run off alot of times over the years for stealing anything not nailed down in front or backyards here.

Now that the house has been vacant for so long they are living in the house now.

Just the last week or so the drunken drugged out freaks have been getting too bold around here and I feel soon one or more of them are going to be causing a serious problem for someone.

The elderly neighbor lady next to me passed away about a month ago and her family has been clearing out this house and have it listed for sale. People have been coming by to look at it but when they see whats up across the street they loose interest real quick to want to buy.

One of the son's of the lady that passed away has been harassed by these bums because when he comes by to check on the property he has had to run them out of the backyard several times.

This morning he went to the bank that is forclosing on the property to see what they could do about this bum infestation and they say their hands are tied as the house is still in foreclosure. The Sheriff has been called several times and even by myself about this and nothing seems to get done about this problem.

So today, while the bums were gone or asleep or whatever, I brought my bucket truck over here and disconnected the power drop off the transformer on the pole going to this house and while I was at it cut the aerial phone drop as well as the cable TV. The phone was off but the cable TV and the power was still going, that is until I cut it.

Next week, I know where the gas valve in the street is to turn off the gas to the meter of this house and I'll be truning it off then. Turning it off at the house would do nothing as the bums would probably turn it back on. Actually the woman that lives in the house next to them has turned off the water at the meter a couple of times and the bums have turned it back on.

That leaves the water. I think what I'll do is to turn off the water at the main then saw off the water pipe feeding the house and I bet that will finish off all the utilities to this house.

So other than the neighbors and myself continueing to call the Sheriff and the bank and considering what I've already done and will complete doing next week....... What else should I do or encourage the other nieghbors to do?

Any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  2. freefall

freefall New Member

Too bad the place doesn't get struck by lightening and burn down...

3. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Thats been discussed by a couple of my neighbors but I think that would be taking it a little bit too far. It is or was a nice house and this area is one of the better areas for houses in this small community.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Let's talk about it tomorrow when we hit the range.

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Land Mines and Claymores. ;)

6. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Anyway to locks on the water and gas lines to prevent usage?

We have a house that is either a bank foreclosure or the ownership issue, they (bank or HOA) boarded up the bottom windows and doors of the 2 story house.

7. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Turning off the gas in the street before the house meter and turning off the water main and cutting clean the pipe that feeds the house is the way to go. The bums wont be able to find it in the street nor do they have the tool for it and they wont be able to fix the water pipe that feeds the house without drawing attention from the water district. Especially if I or an instructed neighbor call the water district on them while they are trying to dig up the christy box to fix the cut pipe to the house.

Boarding up the windows I feel would hide whats going on inside the house as we can see them inside the house from across the street.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  8. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

fox urine? skunk smell? IDK

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

About ten skunks. Or go to the gander mtn and get a bunch of doe in estrus urin and put it on all their crap. Can't you bring action to the Cops and force them to get rid of them.

10. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Don't cut the pipe! Call the water department and they will come out and lock the meter. If the people cut the lock the police will be able to prosecute for destruction of property. If you cut the pipe, they can prosecute YOU!

11. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Sounds like you need to leave a trail of dollar bills and crack rocks that leads out of town.

But seriously, keep calling the sheriff and complaining, get your neighbors into it also. He will eventually get out there and do something, not because he cares about squatters, but to shut you up.

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

And your alderman, supervisor, whatever the local representative is. If everyone starts calling that person on a weekly basis, LE will likely take more action. No one likes being called by the people who control the purse strings.

13. Car54

Car54 New Member

Cutting off all the utilities is fine but you have to understand these people have been living on the streets with no utilities so it may not make a difference to them. They'll continue to use the toilets and then when full, spare rooms in the house. It will then become somewhat of an outhouse with sleeping areas.

You need to find out the bank that is doing the foreclosure and inform them of the problem. Let them know the house is being destroyed by these street people. The bank will have to file eviction papers in court to have the sheriff get them out.

I'm not a lawyer but I think once the owner gave permission to the one guy, it opened up a can of worms. I believe the only way to get rid of them is like I said above, for the bank to officially evict them.

Good luck.

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Until the bank completes the foreclosure, they have no legal standing to evict. It's actually a really nasty catch-22 in that respect. In fact that may have been the property owner's end-game all along. Unfortunately, it's doing much harm to the neighborhood.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

People living there with no utilities? Notify health dept. THEY can pull a Certificate of Occupancy faster than you can blink.

16. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

File a well documented complaint at your City Mayor, Manager, Council members, Police/Sheriff, etc. That should get the balls rolling. Do express your "safety" concerns and that you will hold them responsible should these squatters cause any problems.

I am glad our City Manager (Austin, TX) is required to respond to any complaints within a few days...though it is mostly abused by the few "squeaky wheels" who complaint about anything and everything.

The Public Health idea is an excellent one too.

Last option is the media...if they even care.

17. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Messing with property owned by the utility companies is not the way to go, as I am sure you know. You have already admitted in an open forum that you did so and plan to damage property that does not belong to you even further. You need to make the system work for you.

I would follow C3's advice (how could anyone ever doubt his advice on anything? The man is solid with everything) and get the Dept of Health involved. They can shut down any place with zero effort. Once they condemn the house and lock it down, board it up and all, the bank will not be happy. You offer the bank a penny per dollar on the house. Buy it and then raze it or flip it.

Of course, you are in Kali so the laws will most likely be in a huge favor of the bums.

18. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Just got home from the range and low and behold the Sac. County Sheriff was there. The two older bums ran off as they had warrants but the Sheriff couldn't do much more than take a report. They did say, however, that they really wanted these two folks who run off.

Aparently County Code Enforcement will be taking care of this as the house has no power, gas, or water. The neighbor lady turned off the water at the main again and had her son remove the handle so they couldn't turn it back on so easy. The Deputy made note that the house had no utilities. Health issue now. The Sheriff said to keep calling in to stack up the reports and these will be foreward to County Code Enforcement.

Knowing county code Enforcement out here, they will probably be by sometime next week and with any luck they will board the place up within two more weeks. Any costs incurred by the county to do this will be added to the property tax bill of this parcel and will have to be paid out of escrow when the property eventually sells.

So the neighbor lady will be calling at 7:00 PM, the neighbor next door will be calling at 8:00 PM, and I'll be calling at 9:00 PM tonight. Then the cycle will repeat starting at 10:00 PM. We'll repeat this cycle again tomorrow and as much as possible beyond that as suggested by the Deputy.

No Utility company property has been damaged as all work performed was within the scope of their standard practices. However, no work order has been issued to perform such services.

19. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

So when the health people look at the situation, and the utility companies let them know that no work order was put in for the cessation of service, then what? Service reconnected and...

The way I see it, you and your neighbors are guilty of discrimination and taking it upon yourselves decide who can live in your neighborhood and who can't. What gives you all the right to say who can and who can't live on a piece of property that you don't own?

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

What gives they bums the right to live there o property that is not there defrauding the utilities and causing unknown damage to the property?

Why don't they get an damn job like the rest of us. Sorry there are plenty of them out there. The bums are in the wrong to begin with what ever happens to them is their own fault.

Who pays for all the power, water, sewage they are stealing. That will all be passed down to the owner of other property in the area. Then they destroy the property causing the bank to lose money. Which gets passed on to it's customers.

The bums need to be gone.