Bumpfire stocks in danger?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by edteach, Oct 5, 2017.

1. edteach

edteach Member

I see Ryan is saying he is open to banning BFS. This may happen. Now they are going for 7 to 8 hundred and rising in GB. My question is if the bill passes as DF wrote it ,It will ban people from owning anything that makes a trigger react faster. So most all trigger refinements. But what will happen to people who buy them before the ban? Will it make them illegal to own? I thought if you had something legally you could not take it away. Just wondering.

2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

if it makes it that far, it all depends on whether they make outright illegal, or whether they will require them to be registered and a tax stamp applied for to legally own them.

if they go the route of having them registered to be legal, i would think it would be very similar to what happened in 1986 with fully auto firearms being registered. anything that wasn't registered prior to the cut-off date, would therefor afterwards be illegal, regardless of how it's owner acquired it.

trust me, if they pass a law, making them illegal, they aren't going to concern themselves with how you acquired the bump stock. the fact that at the time you bought it, and they were legal, and they pass a new law making them illegal, yeah, they can take it from and give you free room and board courtesy of the federal government for a few years.

3. edteach

edteach Member

Well if they make them closed and under title 2 or class 3 to own them People who bought one would win. Especially if they wave the 200 dollar fee for the first register. They will go way up in price. I can see them selling for a grand or more.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Sucks that such a piece of junk can now fetch that much. Seems like the gun world beenie baby to me.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Greg_r, tomgodd, kfox75 and 4 others like this.
  5. edteach

edteach Member

the NRA just came out for more regulation. I think this is a death of the BFS sold as they were. I hope they at least let those that were sold be grandfathered in with some tax stamp. Even if its not transferable.

6. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Yup. Sacrificial lamb. Bad guys will find a way around that and it won't fix a thing. All emotional. But wouldn't miss them as I have zero interest in them. But then we get to the "first they came for the ..."

Cnon, Dallas53, locutus and 1 other person like this.
  7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I oppose outlawing them.

But having said that, I fail to see how anyone much over 10 years old would have any interest in them.

I've fired a helluva lot of automatic weapons and they're hard enough to control when specifically designed for suto fire.

BFS make accuracy impossible.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    tomgodd, Balota, kfox75 and 2 others like this.
  8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Have to agree with Loc on this.

I myself can find much more productive ways to waste ammo at a wholesale level, and wouldn't have bought one at the non-crackhead prices they were going for last week. fun gimick for those who live in non-NFA states. that's about it.

And yes, i have fired a few rifles with them in the past, back in NY. Also fired the real thing prior to moving to NY, while living in NC, both civilian owned, and at the range with dad while he was in the Corps.

I much prefer my happy switch on the receiver.

Now, the real question here is, how many of you have already contacted your reps in DC, to make your take on this known to them? I already did, earlier tonight. the other thing to keep in mind is, can it be done without trump signing off on it?

Remember that Reagan had to sign FOPA for the MGR shutdown to take affect, back in 1986, so, without a veto proof majority in both houses, chances are, this ain't gonna happen.

Now, to those of you who are not in this either way, as it is something you would never own, and I know more than a few will pop up, remember that the member posting this has no urge to own an AR, AK, .50 BMG, select fire weapon, and most anything else that is tacticool in nature, but I still choose to stand and fight for the rights of those who wish to own them, to legally do so. One day, they might even be the voices in YOUR corner, on this like not closing a silencer registry, so you might want to keep that in mind.

Also, now might be a real good time to get in touch with Mr. Brownell, the new President of the NRA, if you are a member, and ask him just what he is doing, as well as the fact that you helped put him in office, and you can help remove him from said office in the next election.

A fact he might want to keep in mind should he wish to stick around long enough to start making changes in the organization. The last guy wasn't exactly the best choice for the job, but we really don't need to swing that hard, as it could cost us a lot more rights than we can afford to lose.

Balota and Dallas53 like this.
  9. Beerbebud

Beerbebud New Member

If they classify bumpstock as machine guns like they did the original akins accelerator years ago they will be illegal to possess period because a machine gun has been illegal to manufacture since 1986 meaning the bumpstock were illegal the minute they were produced. You will have to surrender the stocks and they wont have to pass a law to do it i anticipate the ATF reinterpreting what it considers to be a single trigger pull to actually involve some type of motion of the finger and not being stationary on a stock like is required with the bump stocks.

10. Dallas53

exactly Mr. Kfox. if we compromise on this, where does it stop? where do the gun grabbers say that we as law abiding gun owners have sacrificed enough for the cause of preventing gun violence? truth is, they never will stop.

whether you feel the need to want one, or not is irrelevant. we need to say no more compromise. just remember, they also found Tannerite in his possession as well. how long before they decide to make that illegal as well?

we need to say stop condemning and blaming inanimate objects for what a lunatic does with them. blame the person, not the inanimate object they use for heinous deeds.

dwmiller, Balota and kfox75 like this.
  11. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of anything I can accomplish with a rubber band... that said, they bleed our gun rights dry, one sacrificial lamb at a time.
    At first it was a NEED for machine guns and silencers...
    The it was a NEED for 'assault weapons'...
    And then Columbine happened and it was a cry to just ban all guns...

Losing gun rights is step one towards living in a real prison planet.

Oh, and anyone thinking they aren't coming for the guns of cops needs to take a look at Europe.

12. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

As long as you have ignorant liberal minded representatives there will always be a demand to ban or eliminate any device capable of mayhem or destruction.
    They won't do anything about the actual perpetrators because they are their voter base.

dwmiller and Dallas53 like this.
  13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Kalifornistan is going through something similar. The state outlawed hi cap mags and ordered them confiscated with no compensation. Federal Judge stopped it saying it is a taking.

dwmiller, Dallas53 and Mosin like this.
  14. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

They don't call them "Progressives" for nothing... They will progressively take away our rights one step at a time - much like a frog in a pot of water gradually coming to a boil. At some point, we need to draw a line: before the heat gets turned on in the pot.

dwmiller, Dallas53 and Mosin like this.
  15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Whether I have any desire for a BFS or not, make no mistake.

The epitaph for gun ownership will be "Not swallowed whole by a whale, but nibbled to death by ducks". I hear the call for "compromise" by gun owners- but it only takes, never gives. The cry was to ban inexpensive small handguns- and is now to ban large powerful handguns.

The next bite will be that "sniper rifle" you have- Your model 70- in .308. Got a muzzle loader? Oh- but that powder can be used to make bombs- sorry. Do not ever think that the banners will ignore what is in your gun locker.

If you are a member of the NRA, let the President know what your feelings are. And your Congresscritter and Senators- State AND Federal. Be polite, literate and brief. If they have supported your rights in past, please thank them, and seek their continued support. If it takes more than 3 paragraphs and a half page, re-write it.

You cannot legislate in such as way to protect everyone and everything from evil, psychotic people. If you think this is a new behavior, I invite you to look up the Bath MI school massacre. 38 elementary school children were killed when their school was blown up by the Treasurer of the School Board. Never heard of it? Happened May 18th. Of 1927.

kfox75, Mosin, RJF22553 and 4 others like this.
  16. Dallas53

see it's always about compromise with those who wish to further restrict our gun rights, or to ban certain guns, or features or items pertaining to guns.

but where is the compromise? there hasn't ever been any. for there to be compromise, two sides would have to come together and agree to mutual give and take. but, always it's been about them taking, but never agreeing to giving anything in return. that isn't a compromise.

now, if they wanted to come to the table and lets say, wanted to reclassify bump stocks as items that would need to come under the NFA of 1934, and make them having to be registered and taxed like fully auto firearms, but were going to allow us to have the Hearing Protection Act in return, then that would be an acceptable compromise.

kfox75 and dwmiller like this.
  17. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

My take on this is its just another attempt to limit gun rights. The people behind this garbage can't be delt with, reasoned, or bargained with. They want all our rights recinded and will take them wholesale, or a piece at a time. The bump fire stock is not the issue, the loss of freedom is.

I will not bargain, i will fight and oppose this any way i can. I have contacted my congressman as a buisness owner in his district and registered my opposition. I have supported the NRA which is our voice in these matters. I will continue to do what it takes. I will not give up, because my enemies will not. Words to live by...

Dallas53 likes this.
  18. Greg_r

Greg_r Active Member

US citizens are protected from ex post facto law by the Constitution. In other words, you can't be charged with a crime for something you legally did but the law changed and now you legally can't. The courts have decreed that there can be actions taken, such as registration, after the fact so long as there are no consequences. Hence the reason that California was told they can't take the high capacity magazines as noted earlier. I expect there will be registration and no more manufactured, but don't think they will be taken away.

kfox75, Mosin, dwmiller and 1 other person like this.
  19. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

And the day we don't, how much freedom is lost at that point?

there are several countries out there with, what is in essence, a single party system. None of which are either free or thriving, as very large portions of said nations' population have no representation under their government.

Should that day come here, I can only hope that none of my loved ones, or theirs, or our future generations, are around to see it, as that would be a very bleak future.

It seems that far too many feel thast freedom should only extend to those that feel and act as they do, even as they cry to the heavens that all must be free.

The day that we no longer have those you feel are undesirable, America is DEAD, as is all it once stood for.

Even though I can't agree with what they want, what they push for, and could never support most of their efforts, I would give my last drop of blood, as well as my last breath, to defend their right to do so.

And that goes for each and every political party out there. no one, or group of many, will ever be 100% right, 100% of the time.

dwmiller and Dallas53 like this.