Bump Keys - Is Your Home "Easily" Accessible?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Dillinger, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Okay, I don't frequently pass along the litany of crap that hits my inbox from people who forward everything under the sun to me, but this one item actually got me "concerned" enough to do some investigating.

Key Bumping, or using a 999 key, is a process in which someone not authorized to have access to your residence uses a master style cut key ( for instance for Schlage ) and using a hammer "bumps" the tumblers of your deadbolt or other lock into place so the door, or padlock, can be opened. This "new" system of B & E was apparently discovered in 2005 - shows you how out of touch with the criminal element I am. :eek:

I got e-mailed a news story from down in So Cal where apparently this type of crime is on the rise as "Bump Keys" are now available on the internet.

Wondering if this was more hoax than truth, I checked Snopes, referenced above, and it's true. So, I called the local PD and this is what I was told ( paraphrased )

"While we haven't seen a larger than normal ( I almost laughed out loud at that - "normal" as in a status quo of increase ??) increase in home burglaries we have seen more home burglaries that do not show the typical signs of forced entry."

Okay, so do you think that is because Bump Keys & their methods are being used?

"That is a possibility, but we would not go on record as stating that is the root cause"

Okay, so I guess take that for what it's worth.

In any event, I thought I would pass it along merely because it was "alarming" how easy this particular tactic could be used to enter an otherwise secure residence. The guy on the news report used a bump key and the handle of a screw driver to "enter" the locked deadbolt apartment of a willing participant in about 10 seconds.

I had never heard of this before, so I am getting it out there for discussion / food for thought....

JD

2. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

Discussions with a few good locksmith friends of mine tend to say that this is absolute alarmist crap.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

*shrug* PM me your e-mail and I will send over the news report. Seemed pretty damn easy to me to be honest. If this nitwit news reporter can do it, I am sure someone else can too....

JD

4. Stuie

Stuie New Member

I have seen these reports for quiet a while. Before we bought our house 2 years ago. Haven't gotten around to getting bump proof locks as the ones that are a bit pricey as I recall.

I will search for but, there is a video where a locksmith told a 10-12 year old how to make it at some security fair and the kid did and opened a lock first attempt.

I don't recall since I catch very rarely. But I believe they used this technique on "It Takes a Thief" on Discovery Channel

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Some locks more prone to "bumping" or manipulation than others- worn, dry (no lube) and key cuts close to each other in length. Little spurt of dry lube in the cylinder makes them harder to bump. So does a Medco lock!:p No cuts on the edge of key, and you have to work at it to get a blank. A lock that the bolt binds on the latch plate is durn near impossible to bump. Me, I just install 2 deadbolts, leave one unlocked, so if you are trying to enter, you are unlocking one, locking the other. :rolleyes:

6. Bighead

Bighead New Member

An excellent reason to have a large, loud dog on the other side of the door, and to run an alarm system.

The goal isn't to make your house burglar-proof (likely impossible), just to make your neighbors house an easier target.

Sucks to hear the criminal trash have figured out another way to take advantage of the rest of us.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  7. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

I've seen the reports, and it works in so few commercially available locks in the US that it's not something that you really need to get worked up about.

If it really worries you, get an alarm installed.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I got 113lb German Sheppard that thinks anyone from outside his pack is meat & meant to be destroyed - I'm not to worried about what happens IF someone tries to get inside my place when I am not home. I am worried how much of my stuff will get destroyed in the resulting melee. :eek:

JD

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I got a 22.2# attack dog and 1, 20# cat 1, #17 cat 2, #9 cats. They are a crack team. The dog will lunge at you on cat will trip you wanting belly rubs, the 20# will then come over and unleash his velcoraptor claws on your face for scaring him, then the old cat will come over an breath in your face and cause you to go into convulsions because her mouth smells like a 10 day old dead skunk ass. By that time I am down stairs and shooting you.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

LOL - That sounds like one "F"'ed up way to go....

I am staying away from your place, even with an invitation...:p

JD

11. biff44

biff44 New Member

2005? Locksmiths have been opening key locks this way for many decades. At least since 1978 when I first saw it. You do not need a key though. There is a handheld device that you hold in one hand, and squeze the trigger. A tingler inserted in the lock jiggles the tumblers, while another part of the device tries to turn the cylinder. The pins (two pieces), one by one, evenually all jump to the point where the cylinder can turn. Then you just turn the cylinder with the body of the device.

Not sure I described it very well, but it only takes a locksmith around 30 seconds to pop a standard lock.

You want key lock security, you need something a lot more sophisticated, like a medco lock with angled pins.

This is just an automated way to do what theives do all the time when they "pick" a lock with two handheld tools, one to jiggle the pins, the other to apply turning pressure to the cylinder. That requires some skill, though. The first way anyone could pop a lock

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  12. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Get the Medeco V-lock...those things are tough!!

13. WDB

WDB New Member

I agree with having a good alarm system and a big dog. The two cat and a small dog plan isn't bad but then there is three animals to care for and all three need to be a bit disturbed to make it work.

I think I posted this on another thread here but a few weeks ago I let my Lab and Rot out into the back yard on a Saturday morning. A few minutes one of them was barking at the front door to get in. I let the dogs in then sent out to find the side gate was open on my 6' tall fence. I closed the gate and didn't think much about it. A few days latter the local PD went door to door letting us know that there had be a rash of break in's in the neighborhood. I told the officer that I found my gate open Saturday morning and he said "keep your eyes open". I told him I could do better as I have camera's that record motion and might have video of the the bad guys. Less than 30 minutes latter I was burning a CD for the offiicer of two guys climbing over my fence and then running away through the gate when the motion lights turned on. I didn't reconize the people and haven't heard if they were caught. The bad guys were at my home when me and my family were asleep and clearly didn't case the house as my dogs would have shreaded them if they came in, the alarm would have went off and I would be armed. In the end tyhe motion activated light scared them off and I expect it's true, let your neighbors house be an easier target.

I burnt several copies of the CD and wrote a quick list (big dog, security system, motion activated lights and motion activated cameras) and a "B" plan a loaded firearm that you are experienced with and ready to use. I gave those to my neighbors that I know. One of the neighbors seemed a little embarassed when I told him what I was giving him and told me his house had been hit while the kids were in school and he and his wife were at work. They threw a lawn chair through his sliding glass door and tore his house up taking easy carry items. I told him I didn't know he had been robbed and was sharring just how close I came to being robbed. This weekend I'm helping him install some motion lights and he is getting a security system installed. They can't have a dog because his wife is alergic and a firearm isn't something they will consider.

14. CodyWalkerJr

CodyWalkerJr New Member

friggin hilarious

15. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

That's a really good way to put it (for its accuracy): "Just make your neighbors easier targets."

Ah, that sucks. Reminds me of this picture (not that Im assuming they want to ban all guns):
    [​IMG]