Bump Fire

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by 25-5, Aug 27, 2012.

1. 25-5

25-5 New Member

At the range today I had a couple of bump fires with my M1A, not slam fires. I have got it mostly eliminated with practice. I guess it is common for those used to bolt actions. Anyway the RO told me that some do it it on purpose and even have competitions with that method. I am curious if anyone has heard of this trend.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Hear a lot about it with ARs and aks etc.

3. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Do you have a feather touch trigger setup?

4. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I use to when I could afford the ammo. Makes you dirt poor. Wear and tear on your gun is accellerated when you bump or fire full auto. If your range doesn't mind, it is fun until you realize how much money you have just blown in a matter of seconds. People have been bumping for at least 40 years that I know of. The trend increased in '86 with the Hughes amendment. It is a way to similate auto fire, but it isn't the real thing. Basically, you use the recoil of your firearm to rock the trigger back and forth across your finger, at a rate consistent with automatic fire, but a little slower than the cyclic rate, which is why you will hear some people complain it isn't auto fire.

5. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Thanks for the info. I was curious about it but don't intend to bump fire on purpose at a dollar a pop.

6. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Armalite even puts a notice on their website about AR 10's being prone to accidental bumpfire.

7. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

I love to bump fire. I do it with my Ak's mostly, but I love to do it with my m1a1. It simulates full auto fire, so it eats up ammo quickly. Sadly,.22s just don't have enough recoil to do it effectively, have fun!

8. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I can bump my AR from the shoulder.

I've done it with lots of guns

AR15
    mac11
    AK
    sub 2000
    Glock

Its pretty easy

9. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

I do it best with the old belt loop trick, but shoulder firing for me is sporadic. I can't really get more than 5 rounds out at a time, but it is still fun! I haven't tried with a handgun ever. Is it difficult?