Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its been a while, Hi everyone. I'm thinking of getting involved at my local gun club in some Bullseye Shooting.
I need a good gun for this in .22lr.
I'm looking at the:
- Browning Buckmark Plus UDX ; Bull barrel(flat sides), blued w/ walnut or rosewood grips w/ fiber optic open front sight, rear adj. sight

- same gun in stainless but also with a 2 inch Picatinny rail in front of the rear adjustable sight ( I would be mounting a red dot to it)

- Ruger Mk III 22/45 Bull barrel

- I've looked at the Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory, but unless its the clear front runner, I don't care for the appearance of how the barrel attaches to the frame. It looks odd to me.

All have a 5.5 in. barrel and sell for 400.00, stainless is 500.00
I have the money for any of them.
I should add that my 65 yr. old eyes might benefit from a dot, and I can mount one on any of the Brownings, or Ruger here listed.
Thoughts on red dots? Helpful?
Suggestions and thoughts about the guns? Others I should consider in same or less price range?

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
I'm a Browning Buckmark fan myself, but lots of shooter's love the Ruger Mark series. I could never shoot any of the Luger style grip Ruger's, and have never tried any of the 22/45's.
I will say that the Browning is a lot easier to take down and clean than the Ruger. The latest generation is supposed to be easier, but it's still not as easy as a Buckmark.

The S&W Victory is a great pistol also, but it weighs a lot more unless you get the carbon fiber version.
The S&W Model 41 is the king of 22lr target pistols, but you can buy two Browning or Ruger's for what they cost any more.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I like the Buckmark and Ruger, preference toward Ruger target versions. However, I would not choose the Mark III. If an older gun is preferred then go with the Mark II, otherwise the Mark IV is quite simple to take down and the Mark IV Target or 22/45 Target are very accurate pistols. The 22/45 lite performs well also. The Mark II is a little more challenging to take down and reassemble, but really simple once you learn how. I have owned a number of Ruger Mark series pistols, even an original Standard Model (before they became a Mark series) and I have no difficulty at all field stripping, cleaning and reassembly.
I currently have two Mark IV pistols with one extra barrel/receiver which enables me to have several different configurations by simply swapping barrels. Mark IV Target with or without red dot sight, 22/45 lite with red dot, or 22/45 Target with or without red dot. And I own an old standard model too!
I tend to shoot better with the adjustable Target sights than with the red dot, but my wife likes the red dot. The red dots I am currently using work okay, but I am going to upgrade this year.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
Glad to hear Bullseye shooting's still around somewhere. My favorite was a High Standard Olympic in .22 short. Made rapid fire strings much easier. High Standard Victor and S&W 41's are now way out of my price range. Finding .22 match grade ammo?

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Aftermarket support for the Ruger is far and away better than any other.
But hey, just spend the money up front for one of Volquartsen's.
Aftermarket support is pretty much equal between stuff for a Ruger or Browning. There's a bunch of shooter's that shoot both brands.
I'd buy a Model 41 before I'd waste money on the Volquartsen. Not that the Volquartsen isn't a good pistol, but it isn't a S&W Model 41.

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Aftermarket support is pretty much equal between stuff for a Ruger or Browning. There's a bunch of shooter's that shoot both brands.
I'd buy a Model 41 before I'd waste money on the Volquartsen. Not that the Volquartsen isn't a good pistol, but it isn't a S&W Model 41.
I didn't realize they were in current production. I see now that they are.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
Yes sheriffjohn, at the NRA affiliated club I belong to in NE Ohio I believe they are allowed.
Is there nothing sacred ? When I looked at the previous post of the S&W Model 41 with the picatinny rail, elevated front sight, etc. from the Performance Shop I suspected the world's turned upside down. (from the British after their defeat by patriots). Oh woe is me. Long live stick shifts, cursive writing, and iron sights.

·
Administrator
26,944 Posts
Don't think you would go wrong with any of the 3 you listed. You could always sell a child and a kidney and get a Pardini.
Or they have a nice "Space Gun" up for auction right this minute over at Gunbroker......

Musical instrument Computer keyboard Musical instrument accessory Trigger Air gun

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, maybe if I sold our boat and new towing pickup truck. ;)

That IS a beautiful gun though...
Your picture is about as close as I'll probably ever get to one. :cool:

·
Administrator
26,944 Posts
Just to freak out the other shooters with Olympic grade pistols, I have been known to show up with one of these-

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

H&R Model 999. Price was reasonable, accuracy pretty surprising. Did not have to sell the children.

·
Supporting Member
13,505 Posts
I have two good Smi 22s
One is a Browning Buckmark and the other is a High Standard Model107 Military Match.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Machine gun Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

Reactions: Centerliner

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
Don't think you would go wrong with any of the 3 you listed. You could always sell a child and a kidney and get a Pardini.
Or they have a nice "Space Gun" up for auction right this minute over at Gunbroker......Mine was similar - different muzzle break, in .22 short. If you had a "Clark" Victor or anything by Gil Hebard you were out of excuses. Ear Muffs? No, you stuck .38 wadcutters in your ear holes.

View attachment 250782
Or they have a nice "Space Gun" up for auction right this minute over at Gunbroker......

View attachment 250782

·
Registered
167 Posts
I started with a Ruger MK I Target - 6 7/8 " tapered barrel (good).
Next was a Ruger MK I Target - 5 1/2" Bull Barrel (better)
Last was a S&W Model 41 with a tune up and trigger job by Clark Custom Guns (best)
If you are getting old in the eyes ...a red dot sight will make you competitive and keep you shooting .

I stopped shooting because I could no longer see the iron sights ...but a Millet SP-1 red dot (tube type sight) got me back in the game . The small compact red dot sights would be just the ticket to help you out !
Gary

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last was a S&W Model 41 with a tune up and trigger job by Clark Custom Guns (best)
If you are getting old in the eyes ...a red dot sight will make you competitive and keep you shooting .

I stopped shooting because I could no longer see the iron sights ...but a Millet SP-1 red dot (tube type sight) got me back in the game . The small compact red dot sights would be just the ticket to help you out !
Gary
Back in the late 60” and early 70” I use to shoot bullseye in the master class the two most popular Guns at that time were the S&W model 41 and the high standred supermatic trophy my choice was the the supermatic 107 trophy

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Gary
Thanks for this Gary, I appreciate your sharing this about red dots.
I'm expecting to buy a Browning Buckmark Plus and install the Browning Reflex red dot on it, if it doesn't already have one.
My hope is to get used to red dots in this way before installing them on my carry guns.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for this Gary, I appreciate your sharing this about red dots.
I'm expecting to buy a Browning Buckmark Plus and install the Browning Reflex red dot on it, if it doesn't already have one.
My hope is to get used to red dots in this way before installing them on my carry guns.
That's Awesome !
The red dot sights are extremely easy to get used to ! The first one I ever shot was on a Ruger MK II Standard , the dealer asked me " have you ever shot with one? " I said No " Just put the dot on what you want to hit and squeeze the trigger !" and man was he right... I bought that MK II and later learned Clark Custom Guns had mounted the red dot on it and done a trigger job ... that's why it was so easy to hit with ...a great trigger .
Your eyes don't have to fight the focus factor , use your distance vision the dot and target are both in perfect focus ... it's sweet !
Gary

1 - 20 of 20 Posts