Bullpup, anyone?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by usmcprofessional, Jul 15, 2011.

1. usmcprofessional

usmcprofessional New Member

Despite a past smeared my what seems to be nothing but built up public opinion, they have a bad rep. but to me it seems they are a under utilized weapon system.

I love short barreled weapons. but with that you get the draw back of range and of course uncle sam's men lookin in on you once you put 'buttstock' and 'under 16 inches' in the same sentence.

i found what could be my new love in the Keltec RFB. bullpup, revolutionary design, simple as hell, and the best part- its a .308. So far i havent found too bad of a review unless its from some AR lover being a douche. anybody have experiece with this piece, comments?

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Pics man, we need pics.

3. usmcprofessional

ask and thy shall recieve my friend
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. usmcprofessional

i like the OD green one. all black rifles stand out like a sore thumb in woodland ops

5. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Naaaaghh. I'll take an Aug any day.

Scubie:cool:

Attached Files:

• Augs.jpg
      Augs.jpg
      File size:
      40.3 KB
      Views:
  6. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got way more varieties of rifles that just AR15s but bullpus arent one of em. the reason i dont like bullpus rifle layout is the ergonomics are abysmal. its like whomever designed the first one had a study done of what is the best ergonomic layout for a rifle then did the exact opposite.

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

It's cool but I just can't get into them. I like rifles with a little more reach.

Can we expect a range report?

8. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I don't have any experience with that firearm or bullpup firearms, but I have a buddy of mine who does.

Here's the link to his youtube review of it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2j_fMRCrXA&feature=channel_video_title]‪Kel Tec RFB 308 Rifle‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

9. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

I owned a bullpup rifle for a bit. I was taken in with the cool looks and short barrel sticking out in front of me.
    The problem I ran into is a much SLOWER mag change out. I grew up on rifles where the mag is in front of your trigger finger. Mag changes meant, dropping empty and slammin in full. An easy fluid motion. When you go bullpup, that all changes. First, when you release the mag, it hangs up on your chest if you try to keep the weapon in place. Then when you try to load in another mag, you dont have the muscle memory to make it a fluid motion and end up bumping the top of the mag all around the mag well. Kinda like screwing for the first time drunk. Thats fine if you are at the range but not so good if you find yourself in a bad situation. Now, with practice and training you can get past that but it is just another thing to learn and get used to.
    As far as accuracy goes, I honestly dont think there was a big enough difference to even talk about. Keep in mind, the shortest barrel length I have ever owned is 16.5". I am SURE there is a noticable diff between say a 10 or 11" barrel and an 18" bullpup. I simply can not speak about that as I dont have any first hand knowledge.
    Overall, if you are looking for something with cool factor and have the oppertunity to practice, a bullpup will do well by you. If you are a long time shooter of other mag fed weapons (AR's, AK's, FAL's, M1A's etc) you may end up feeling like a left handed person trying to write an essay with your right hand.

10. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

I've never shot a bullpup, but I gotta say, they seem like the best design by far.

11. tierone

tierone New Member

Bullpup is a very revolutionary design that has a lot of advantages but a lot of disadvantages too. The main advantage is you can increase your barrel length but keep overall length the same. However having the receiver in the buttstock has some disadvantages. The weapon is awkward and sometimes back-heavy. You can't make the stock shorter or longer. Changing magazines is very hard and awkward too. You also can't use beta- c mags. Having all of this said I am still somewhat of a fan of bullpups.

12. usmcprofessional

like i said ive read up on it as much as one can. unlike others such as an AUG or P90 this one was designed with ergonomics in mind. It takes regular metric FAL mags and there is no rocking or tilting to release the mag or put on in so im not worried about mag changes. for me going under the arm for one seems more...logical i guess, i dont know i have a weird taste and feel, hence why ill pick an AK over any AR. but thats an argument for another thread.

im hoping this is the one rifle i will test that will satisfy my need for a long/short barreled rifle (see what i did there?) im not a fan of regular SBR's since you might as well have a damn uzi, but a rifle with an 18" barrel that will make it easier to take rooms and go house to house would be a dream come true.

s**t in one hand, wish in the other.

13. NativH

NativH New Member

I have a FA AUG and love it. Also have AR10 and AR15, FA Ruger AC556, and numerous bolt action rifles but the bullpup is just different/special enough to be a favorite. Effectively having three points of stabilization (shoulder, grip, front grip) certainly comes in handy for controlling it during firing. I just wish importing them hadn't become illegal in the mid 80's but that is water way under the bridge. Try finding parts for one. I just picked up a spare barrel for mine for almost $1400. Ouch.

14. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

grabby hands, grabby hands!!

15. NativH

NativH New Member

I'll bring it by when I get out your way. Just have a case of ammo ready.:D

16. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member

On the cover of Special Weapons for Military & Police Magazine August edition is a bull pup ak-74 made by Century Arms. It is one sick mudda.

17. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Sounds good.

18. subie-jeep

subie-jeep New Member

i had the sg works bullpup kit on my sks for a little while,it was fun to shoot but i changed it back because i love my other setup too much(original+tech sights+tapco mags).one of these days i'll pick up another sks to be the dedicated bullpup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I for one don't like the idea of an explosion going off under my chin. If you have a failure your going to lose half your face. I prefer a chamber out in front of my face.