Bulllet poof/knife body armour?

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by Keginth28, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Keginth28

Keginth28 New Member

I'm looking to get a few vest for me and my family, is there any type u have or know about that is cheap but worth it?? Never wear one!

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Just remember most bullet resistant vests are not knife proof. A couple of guys back at fort drum proved it one evening after drinking. 1 went to the hospital with a punctured lung the other got an article 15.

3. Car54

Car54 New Member

Yep, we nicknamed a guy "Ice Pick" because he wanted to show us his new vest. The pick went through it and stabbed him in the stomach. Good vests aren't cheap. You might find some used ones by inquiring on forums especially related to police work.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Bear in mind that NOTHING is bullet PROOF. If you doubt that, will take you to a tank gunnery range so you can see what the main gun on an Abrams can shoot THROUGH (hint- includes small hills)

Vests are rated for different threat levels- most are rated for pistol ammo, VERY few are rated for rifle ammo. Higher the level, higher the costs. When comparing vest, do not look at just the $$$, or you may be comparing a level 1 vest against a level 3.

Also bear in mind that body armor for LEOS is built differentlly than vest for the military- LEO rarely has to deal with artillery and grenade fragments.

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I know a couple guys who can attest to the abilities of SAPI plates.

You can purchase plates and vests rated for high velocity small arms. I believe i saw some level 4 stuff floating around.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm one of those. SAPIs are rated for 3 rounds of a particular cartridge (m240 round, what is that, 7.62x51?), and I know that they can stop up to six X39 rounds. I've personally had a three round burst stopped by mine (X39).

Also, as was mentioned, they are not really knife proof, however, they ARE harder to punch through than skin.

7. Keginth28

Keginth28 New Member

Yea that's diff want I didn't what to hear lol but thank u all!

8. PSmitty1

PSmitty1 New Member

If your looking for body armor for you and your family your best bet would be to get carriers that will fit them then purchase the ballistic panels panels to put in the carriers. Buying soft body armor like police wear under their uniforms wouldn' t be cost effective because they need to be fitted. Kids grow to fast so that would expensive. Stab vests are much different than ballistic vests. I' m not aware of any vests that do double duty bur they may be out there. I don't have any experience with military issued ballistic vests so I don't know what options might be available on that end.

9. woody63m

woody63m New Member

$20 says there grunts

10. Keginth28

Keginth28 New Member

I didn't think they have vest for both but it's always good to see if someone knows or not, but I'm going to by a bullet poof vest and maybe get a knife vest on the front and attach it. Ill send a pic as soon as it comes in.

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Can I ask what experience you have with body armor? A kevlar vest with SAPI plate probably weighs 20ish pounds if memory serves me. I've never researched stab vests but from what I've seen they look bulky and heavy. I'm curious as to what it would be like to stack them on top of each other.

12. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

Let me tell you brother, the IOTV vest that the military issued me is heavy and he plates that are in it is bulky. I doubt your family would want to wear this heavy, hot gear. Not to mention one large ceramic plate is $690.00 each. There is 2 large and 2 small in an IOTV.

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I still remember a gf tried putting on my IBA and kpod. She about fell over trying to walk.

14. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Check out the body amour those guys wore in the North Hollywood shoot-out in 1997 if you get a chance.

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

What are we looking for?

16. kaido

kaido New Member

I'm pretty sure those guy had kevlar vests and a few layers of normal cloths that had something (don't remember what) stitched into them? I do know for a fact that they had taken muscle relaxers.

17. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

I actually liked the IBA over the IOTV. It was lighter and you could maneuver it so as to put the m-4 in your shoulder pocket. These IOTV's have the 2 extra plates for the sides and you have to shoulder the weapon on the vest itself. Takes some getting use to.

18. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Body amour from throat to ankles. I'll see if I can post video on that ....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/Watch?v=SVeb_zZdliw&features=youtube[/ame]

19. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

:confused

You mean the vest isn't knife proof, right? The plates are coated ceramic which would easily stop a knife, the original ones were coated steel plates, but were too heavy. If you were wearing all the plates, front, back and both sides, you'd have basically a bullet and knife proof torso except the creases. The plates are rated for 7.62 and the vest is rated for 9mm point blank. Either one will put you on your butt if you take a round with the vest on. You are just more likely to get back up eventually (probably with a new set of broken ribs).

You should look into dragon armor though. They competed for the dod contract and would have won but they failed the intense heat test. In temps higher than like 140 the glue started to destabilize and the discs started to slide around. In the states that probably won't be an issue. It's basically a series of ceramic discs placed like scales that make the armor more flexible. It's rated the same as sapi except that as individual discs fail the rest of them are still good, so if the shots aren't all in the same place, you can take more of them. Also because of the overlap, you have less creases. I think the next dod contract will be a vest like this with better glue.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Pfev, you got me, I keep forgetting the telepathy doesn't work with you humans :)

I'm sure a SAPI plate will stop a knife easily, it would be like trying to stab concrete. But SAPIs are an insert, the standard ballistic vest that they are used with is not stab proof.