Bulletproof Vests

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by TheRifleman, Oct 4, 2007.

1. TheRifleman

TheRifleman New Member

How much is a bulletproof vest anyway??

I always expected them to cost at least:confused: $1,000 for some reason

Can a less "advanced" one be made of chainmael + leather

2. Tilt

Tilt New Member

I've never priced them new, but you can find them used on Craigslist or ebay sometimes for a couple hunderd bucks. Also check out some of the gun shows

3. bkt

bkt New Member

There's no such thing. There are vests that may help you if you are shot with a pistol round.

Around $300 on up.

Mail and leather probably won't stop a bullet and may actually cause more trauma.

4. 1hole

1hole New Member

"TheRifleman - How much is a bulletproof vest anyway??

"There's no such thing. There are vests that may help you if you are shot with a pistol round."

Roger that! Stress the "may" help.

I routinely poke quarter inch holes in half inch steel plate with my .22-250. And a few teflon coated FMJ pistol bullets can penetrate some kevlar vests up close (the so called "cop-killer" bullet nonsense).

5. longshot

longshot New Member

Brand new a vest quality vest will run you between $300 to $700. Check out Galls.com or any other law enforcement supplier for ballistic ratings and the proper way to measure. If you intent to wear one for an extended period of time make sure you get one with the proper fit or it will be extremely uncomfortable.

6. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

You can now get a III-A vest with pockets for IV ceramic trauma plates. The combination of the two will protect you against all small arms rounds, including AP. The IV plate will protect against a 6 round burst of 7.62 NATO with no piercing of the trauma plate. It will also stop 1 shot from a large, high powered sniper rifle like the .300 Win Mag or .338 Lapua Mag.

7. aussierogue

aussierogue New Member

Dragonskin

I do not know if it's available to anyone but i would like to own this ;)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS0pSwdQfbY[/ame]

8. yoc

yoc New Member

Leather Bulletproof vests

You can find tham in Ebay in a good price and you can buy directly from a cheeper and a good one on Partner 2 Go dot com but probably there are some other stores. Anyway it must be less than $1000

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  9. metal408

metal408 New Member

dragon skin higher levels ( like Lv.5-Lv.7) is actually bulletproof, in the sense that the bullet wont penetrate far enough to actually contact skin, but the higher levels of dragon skin are classified and are not available for sale to the public.(Lv.7 is classified) Its bomb proof and bullet proof, but the levels of protection your looking for are only sold to military personal.
    Its like a bullet proof vest and chain mail put in one, where small circular plates are layed ontop of eachother in a sort of "chain mail" style arrangement making it more durable, and flexible allowing it to cover more of the lower torso than most vests.

here a link:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS0pSwdQfbY[/ame]

AND SINCE we're talking body armor check this out too:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPS2l5fQ55A&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  10. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

my brother just bought a nice II-A vest with trauma plate from a gun show for $500. It was new. It will stop many rounds, but is not bulletproof. It does provide extra protection, though.

11. DuckA

DuckA New Member

I wouldn't want to be shot at with a .338 Lapua with a car in front of me. Getting shot with one with a vest/ plate would be like getting punched by God.

12. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I saw a Kevlar face mask on Ebay for $600.

13. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Did you ever buy that bad boy? Was that thread here or over at JF?

14. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

It may keep you from dying, but your face will come out of the gun fight looking like a jigsaw puzzle...

15. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

Yeah, no one ever talks about blunt trauma. It's like being hit by a car. It can still kill you.

But no one ever talks about that.......... :confused:

16. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

if anone thinks ANYTHING IS "Bullet PROOF"- I humbly invite you to the National Training Center- Ft Irwin CA- over to the MI Abrams Main Gun Range- and see just what a DU round goes thru (hills, small mountains, etc) There are many things that are bullet RESISTANT- but NOTHING_ Including a SAFE is bullet proof- if you have a bullet that is hard and fast enough.

18. chopkick

chopkick New Member

Look man, just go to youtube and watch the ballistics test that was conducted at the Range Pistol Club in Fresno, Ca.
    Dragonskin is the best product by far. Anything Level 4 or higher requires a background check in order to purchase. Never heard of that being a requirement for anyone elses product.
    I used to work at the Range Pistol Club and I can tell you that everyone involved in the testing have impeccable reputations. They also carry a full Dragonskin product line (google the range pistol club).
    I have no idea who Dr. Frank is but if he spoke out against this outstanding product, he is, in my opinion in some liberal politicians back pocket.
    Sorry gorknoids!

19. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

And I would LOVE to watch alongside Dr. Frank as INDEPENDANT TESTERS put that inferior plate ceramic crap made by Interceptor in a head to head test with the Dragonskin, without the closed door, secret handshake, payoff under the table horsesh!t that went on in those trials.

Frankly, anyone that has followed the trials from the beginning would be inclined to agree that anyone involved with the "testing" sold out both their "integrity" and their "reputation". Otherwise, they wouldn't have made all the trials closed door, wouldn't have stopped the first trials halfway through and wouldn't have came up with "additional" requirements for future tests that included a length of time within an oil drum that was suspisciously close to the time that the Dragonskin platform was available.

Make it an even testing field and see which platform survives.

If you personally don't like it, that's fine, but get the facts straight before you go running it down in public.

JD