Bullet Types

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Rifling82, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

What kind of bullets do you guys use and why? What’s the advantage and/or disadvantages of Lead/plated/FMJ/Hard cast/polymer coated?
    I’ve always used Berrys plated bullets but I’ve been thinking of getting some hard cast. What do I need to know?

2. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

I buy my bullets in bulk. I use Berry's & a lot of other brands. I haven't tried lead bullets yet. I hear they are prone to lead fowling in the bore if not done right.
    I have used polymer coated lead in some of my pistol loads without any problems. Remember you have to reduce the powder load with lead bullets from the jacketed loading info.

Rifling82 likes this.

3. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Depends on what I can find around here as I've accumulated lots of different stuff over the years. Casting more lead bullets involves casting, sizing, lubricating, finding the correct gas checks, and weighing. Factory lead bullets (mostly .357 and .45 acp) are much easier and I have thousands already. Most all lead bullets I shoot are pistol caliber and firing a few jacketed bullets cleans out the lead pretty well. Doesn't work as well for rifles where lead bullets even with gas checks can sometimes be a problem depending the caliber and specific rifle.

Rifling82 likes this.
  4. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Lead was always hard cast.
    Home brew.
    Pops has dozens of molds and a couple furnaces.
    Has a couple hundred pounds of lead yet to be processed.
    Used to shoot a lot, and sell em at gunshows.

Not anymore.
    There are thousands yet to be sized and lubed LOL.

I aint gonna burn em up.

Switched to jacketed a long while ago, but mostly hunt.
    Nosler, Remington and Hornady JHPs. .357, .44.
    Ball for .45 acp? I dunno wth they are, some bulk stuff pops has.

Used to sell reloading gear so did bulk.

sheriffjohn and Rifling82 like this.
  5. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Rifle is always jacketed.
    In .223 I run factory stuff for just plinking.
    Most hunting stuff is handload.
    But I have a couple hundred factory ammo of known decency stashed for each rifle.
    Dang those ammo cans cost a pretty penny to fill.
    Will cry when I find some premium stuff my rigs like LOL (have to buy more)
    Nosler and Hornady my bullets for reloading.

hairbear1 and Rifling82 like this.
  6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

This is just my personal preference, based on my own experience. But my "rule of thumb" is hard cast lead for cowboy guns only (revolvers)

Plated or jacketed for everything else.

SRK97, Trez, Oldoutlaw and 2 others like this.
  7. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I use hard lead for serious loads in guns .40 caliber and over. 10mm, .44 mag, .45-70.
    Punch a hole the size of your little finger straight through whatever you're shooting.

locutus and Rifling82 like this.
  8. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

I reload all my centre fires sooooo.................

In my 30/06AI I use Sierra GameKing 165gn SP's and 130gn Game Kings SP's in my .270.
    The REM 788 .222 I use Highland 50gn SP's while my son uses 55gn VMax's in his Stevens .223.
    In my Ruger M77 22/250AI I use Sierra 60-63gn SP and HP but have been testing a local bloke's made projectiles made out of copper in 36gn and they do group well in my 1:12 twist heavy barrel.

These have a small ball bearing in the nose of the pill and basically work the same as the old H-Mantel pills plus he has machined 2 driving bands into them like a howitzer shell. He also makes them in other bigger calibres as well and has had some very good reviews from blokes that have used them in Africa as well as here up to buffalo and scrub bulls.

These also seem to retain about 90% of their weight or better when recovered so it'll be interesting to see what they're like at 4100fps on a fox although the paddock pizza effect on soft skinned critters is supposedly very spectacular.

In my SMLE Mk3 No.1 .303 I use 180gn Sierra Pro Hunters.

In the 30/30 I use Speer 150gn Deep Curls or Flat nose SP's depending on what I can get and in the 45/70 I use Speer 350gn and 405gn SP's.
    In my BRNO .22 I use Highland 40gn HP's but these are getting harder to get so I bought some Winchester 36gn HP's to try.

sheriffjohn and Rifling82 like this.
  9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

About the only cast lead bullets I shoot are out of my 45 Long Colt's, 45 ACP's,and 300 gr Hunting bullets for my 44 Magnum.
    Everything else is either plated,or jacketed bullets.

sheriffjohn, locutus and Rifling82 like this.
  10. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Hairbear - Just curious. What does a run-of-the-mill SMLE cost over there ? In US dollars if that's possible. Thanks.

Rifling82 likes this.
  11. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes Sir! I do agree with you.

Rifling82 likes this.
  12. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, I’m considering lead for my revolvers, I was thinking I would save some money going from plated to lead but it doesn’t look like I would save a whole lot

locutus likes this.
  13. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

No, you have to cast them to save much.

Rifling82 likes this.
  14. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Xtreme for plated 9mm & 45
    Bayou Bullets for coated 44 & 45 C
    Precision for coated 9mm

Rifling82 likes this.
  15. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

Run of the mill SMLE depending on condition(let's say good condition) and provided it hasn't been hacked into a "sporter" and still in original condition but seen a fair bit of use with attendant scars and a good barrel will probably get somewhere $A500+ so given that the $US is worth $1.65 to the Australian $ that should give you a rough idea.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

My first "Smelly":D (Canadian made Longbranch No. 4 MK1*) was purchased at Walgreen's for USD $19.95. Condition was "excellent."

I still have it and still shoot it!:)

Rifling82 likes this.
  17. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Active Member

Bullets should primarily selected for the purpose intended.

Long range (rifle) target shooters should use bullets made for accuracy and low drag.
    For a (rifle) hunter, one should consider the range and size of game. (Solids for dangerous game and expanding for most North American game.) Accuracy is considerably less important than in target shooting.
    Handguns used for hunting or self defense should be reasonably accurate and designed to expend energy on the target.
    Practice or plinking ammunition is usually cheaper, but should hit to the same point of impact as the 'serious' loads.

RaySendero and Rifling82 like this.
  18. RaySendero

RaySendero Active Member

Yes, YES
    I build or customize each rifle for a specific purpose.
    Once I get the rifle concept started,
    I choose the bullet(s) specifically for that purpose,
    then start reload development.
    This process has worked well for me with only a one exception where early on I found that rifle didn't like that chosen bullet.

jigs-n-fixture and Rifling82 like this.