Bullet stuck in G19 barrel. Help!

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mount_Sannine, May 22, 2010.

1. Mount_Sannine

Mount_Sannine New Member

Hy,

Was shooting my G19 at the outdoor range and thought why not shoot those really old amo that I have.

I guess it was a bad decision :-(. first one went out ok, second one didn’t go bang; it “burnt”. I heard the powder burning without the explosion.

Cheking out what happened I found the tip of the bullet showing at the end of the gun’s barrel!

Its 3mm aprox outside the barrel, and I can’t take it out.
    Any ideas?

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

use a small brass punch if you have one or a soft steel punch. Disassemble the gun and from the breech end tap out the stuck bullet. Be careful not to mar up the barrel.

3. Mount_Sannine

Mount_Sannine New Member

Hy doctherock, excuse my weak understanding of terminologies, but which is the "breech end" ? :eek:

I disassembled the gun and tried to knock the end of the barrel where the (bullet is showing) on a wooden surface, the bullet is deforming (the tip of the bullet is becoming flat) and its not moving.

I sprayed the barrel with WD-40 oil, and waited then tried again, still not moving :S

4. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Breech end, the end the shell casing enters. The muzzle end being where the bullet is stuck. Lightly tap the bullet with the small punch and hammer and it will come out. Had this happen before myself.

5. Mount_Sannine

Mount_Sannine New Member

Ok, will try that.
    Thanks

6. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Help the bullet continue its normal "path" through the barrel - out the muzzle. Don't hammer it back through.

Attached Files:

7. Mount_Sannine

Mount_Sannine New Member

Oups, well now I know.

Tried tapping on it from the breech end, and it is not working either, I hope I didn't make things worse by taping it from the wrong side.

I need proper tools to hold the bared while hitting on the bullet. I think only a gunsmith can help now.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

i had that happen with my sig 220 had a reload sans powder. the primer shoved it just far enough to fully lodge in the rifling. i took a punch held the punch and barrel in one hand and smacked witha hammer with the other. took me an hour to get the bullet out one smack reset recenter the punch another smack.

good luck

9. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I'm guessing the toilet plunger/shoe-horn thing didn't work...... Glad you weren't shooting back at a bad guy.

10. General-Logic

General-Logic New Member

Wooden dowel and a small hammer. Insert the wooden<WOODEN dowel in the barrel from the back side where the bullet enters(breech) until it rests on the bullet. Then, using a small hammer, tap the dowel until the bullet falls through. Dont send it back down the barrel.

11. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Clamp it in a vise between a couple of blocks of wood, to prevent damage to the outside of the barrel!:)

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

i only use handloads at the range for that very reason. i triple check hunting rounds by weight when i make loads for hunting.

13. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

At this point you might as well buy a new barrel as yours is more then likely screwed, you can pick up a replacment barrel for pretty cheap, or if you feel froggy i suggest a wolf barrel for it.

14. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

wooden dowel, but no hammer. hold the dowel into the barrel behind the bullet. Simoltaneously move the barrel in a downward motion, causing the dowel to come into contact with the ground. Thus forcing the dowel into the base of the bullet, creating force on the base of the bullet. Should come out with one or two smacks.

Had some squibs in my G20 10mm, this was my solution.

15. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Good advice above. Hopefully you did not fire another round after the one that plugged the barrel. If you had a "double fire", you may be lucky that the second round did not blow the barrel apart and could be working on 2 bullets. And do not, repeat, do not try to fire another round through to clear the barrel.

16. Mount_Sannine

Mount_Sannine New Member

Thank you guys for all the good advise.

After that the bullet got stuck in the barell on the range, I dicided to throw away those old bullets (1970s), while taking them out of the mag I found out that the third round (the one that would have went out after the one that got stuck) had a crack in it :eek:. then came to my mind all the ruined glocks you guys posted pictures of a while back :S.

Somehow I'm glad the second round got stuck or else I would have shot the broken third...

17. Mount_Sannine

Mount_Sannine New Member

Yeah, I took it to the gunsmith and he removed it for 15$ :D

18. Mount_Sannine

Mount_Sannine New Member

Verry annoying thing to happen in a SHTF situation, I must say.
    Better make sure to have 100% reliable amo and/or have another piece ready close by.

I 'm happy thought that the beating it took from me, and from the wrong side, did not damage the barrel.