Bullet Setback?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by GlockRenegade, Jun 11, 2012.

1. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Ok so I have heard rumors that continually chambering a round can cause bullet setback. Meaning the bullet has moved in the casing and could case damage when fired. I was told just compare the round to others I have not chambered and make sure the bullet has not moved. Typically when I un-chamber a round I put it at the end of the mag. Thoughts?

2. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I am by no means an expert but if your shooting even half decent ammo that should not be a problem.

3. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Thx for reply. Generally these are Hornady crit def and Winchester supreme elite HPs. I like to keep one in the chamber but I also dry fire every day, even if its just 5-10 shots. So this means every day i would chamber the round.

4. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Ok the only thing i could see happening is shaving a little metal off the bullet every time you chamber it.

5. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I've heard of it happening but in almost 30 years of owning guns have not experienced it with factory or hand loads.

6. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Awesome, thanks for feedback

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

It does happen and it depends on how the gun design in question chambers a round. If it hits the top of the chamber hard it can loosen the crimp over time then the bullet can move forward into the lands by inertia. At that point it can create over pressure and kaboom.

Its not common but it can when a round is chambered over and over. This is often seen with prison guards, police, military, security etc as those individuals tend to chamber the same round day after day for years and never use the ammo.

I had it happen with some high end 380acp sd ammo. Bullet was very loose in the case from chambering repeatedly.

8. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I guess it can happen with a lot of re-chambering then. One thing I have seen with my 450 Bushmaster is the opposite. The AR really slams the action closed and if the bullet is not crimped tightly it will actually move forward after only one or 2 chamberings to the point that the round will no longer fit into the magazine. Guns can be funny critters.

9. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Ok I currently am using a Glock 19. If i do unchamber it that round goes to the back of the mag. Probably never chamber the same round more than 10 times. So im thinking i should be fine. Just wanted the experts opinion and experience. Thank you!

10. EagleSix

EagleSix New Member

In this case the rumors are correct. Rotating to the bottom of the mag will help avoid this condition, then rotating carry mags will extend it further and rotating with the rest of your defense ammo supply will extend and help avoid it even further. Once the bullet moves back, it's best to discard it. Although I know of folks who just shoot them off, unless you have a gauge to determine a few thousands from a lot of thousands, it's best when detected by the human eye, just to discards them, or recycle them.

Although the usual cause, repeated chambering, you can get bullet setback by recoil, or just one chambering. This would be unusual and is mostly associated with reloads, but it's something to consider and observe.

11. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I have experienced it, but only with pistols that also have feed problems where the round is jammed into the feed ramp, barrel throat, etc. It can happen with as little as 2 or 3 attempts to chamber it.

If the pistol functions as it should, you may never experience it unless you do an exceptional amount of unloading & reloading.

12. oli700

oli700 New Member

If the OAL gets longer that’s ok because pressure goes down the more empty space is created in the case between the powder and projectile.

When the OAL gets shorter is when you get pressure spikes from compressing the powder or making less space between the powder and projectile......just for clarity.

If the bullet is against the lands you might it may or may not affect the accuracy but that’s it.

13. oli700

oli700 New Member

Worth a check though because auto loading pistol bullets generaly don’t use a roll crimp so it is easier to dislodge the projectile. A very slight taper crimp is used , reason being is that the casing moth shoulder is what comes to a rest in the chamber creating the head space spec so there needs to be a pronounced shoulder and a roll crimp would take that away

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  14. texasman55

texasman55 New Member

WOW!!! So glad that I read this thread, I have rotated my personal protection rounds in the house pistol a few times just to mess with it most days, took all 7 rounds out and here is the result!!! Blows my mind, thanks to you guys and the grace of God, it didn't blow my gun/hand!!! Thanks for all of y'all's useful knowledge!!!

Attached Files:

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well, I'm glad you found/read this thread too! Drop them in the dud bucket next time you hit the range.

16. texasman55

texasman55 New Member

No doubt! That will be tomorrow thankfully, gonna get some range time with my mother's new XDm to be sure that its what I want before buying mine, probably tomorrow as well. I will be sure to ditch the duds and invest in a new box of carry ammo...

17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I seldom see the need to remove a round from the chamber. Store your weapon in such a manner that unauthorized access is virtually impossible, and leave it fully loaded.

18. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

For me it's store it on my nightstand where I'll pick it up in the morning. But I do agree that the idea of chambering and re-chambering is pretty much a wasted step in my opinion. Unless you just don't have a way to keep to form curious hands anyway.