bullet seat .223

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by moneymaker17, Aug 19, 2011.

1. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

How far should I seat the bullet.I feel as if its too far in the shell.
    Any help?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

max coal for most bullets is 2.250inches. i know this is the length for 68-75grain bullets cant remember what 40-68 range is

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You need AT LEAST two reloading manuals....(1) The ABCs of Reloading; and (2) the manual for the brand of bullet you are seating. Look for their COAL (overall length) recommendation, and then measure with a caliper. DO NOT exceed that, unless you're an experienced handloader, and it appears that you are not.

That's the ONLY way to do it safely....and safety is the only option.

If you're going on guesswork, like your post suggests, then you're looking at a potential disaster!!!

How experienced ARE you with reloading?

4. wooleybooger

wooleybooger New Member

i would tell you but it appears you need to do more reading.

5. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

2.217 for 55gr. then I make sure it feeds from the mag.

6. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

Set your dies up with an already loaded cartridge. Loosen the seater plug up with a few turns counter clockwise. Put the loaded cartridge into the shell holder and pull down the press ram until it is fully extended. Screw down the seating die body until it contacts the case mouth and a tiny bit more. Srcew the bullet seating plug down until it makes contact with the bullet nose. Tighten the die body ring and the seating plug ring, and you are good to go. Measure the loaded round for over all length, and measure the your first completed load for over all length. The two should be the same. Remember if you go beyond max AOL, chances are they will not fit in your magazine.

7. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

bacailly asking whats the common OAL for .223 thanks though:D

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Okay, that's not what you asked. Go buy a book.

9. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

Put your glasses on then
    I have a book, I have read it.
    My once fired cases are below max quite abit, ship normal?
    Meaning I don't need to trim them

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Absolutely, whatever that means.

SAAMI OAL max is 2.26.

Happy reading!

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Depending on the bullet weight and style of bullet (ogive),will have alot to do with the OAL of a given cartridge.
    Most are 2.250",but they can be shorter or longer depending on the bullet used,and what the mfg specs it for.

If your reloading,you can do it by the book,or get an OAL gauge and measure your chamber depth.This will tell you just how far out that a bullet can be seated to the lands of the barrel rifling.
    I do this for each bullet size/type that I reload for.Now,you will find out that on some guns,the OAL will be a lot longer than your magazine length,so if you load the bullets long you will have a single shot rifle,and only be able to load 1 shell at a time into your gun.
    For target rounds this isn't a problem,but if you are planning on having more than 1 round in your rifle,you will have to seat the bullets in atleast to the length of the magazine.

For example,My RRA AR15-The longest that I can stretch the length of any cartridge to fit into any magazine is 2.260",but if I want to shoot my 77gr Sierra Matchking bullets they're too long and won't fit into the magazine,so I have to load each bullet into the chamber by hand.
    But with my Savage 12FVLSS,I can load them into the magazine because I modified the length of the magazine.

12. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

whatcha think...???

Attached Files:

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I'll take a guess and say that's a flat based 55gr bullet with a cannelure groove.

14. browning625

browning625 New Member

You are short but you can shoot those it won't hurt. For a ar you want in the 2.235 to 2.240 range. For a bolt you want your bullet to seat in the lands I have a bolt that I load to 2.267. A book is just a starting point the beauty of reloading is you get to play till you like it