Bullet in the chamber? Your home defense semi-automatic rifle.

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by JosephMD, Aug 10, 2013.

1. JosephMD

JosephMD New Member

Ok, so, the handgun forum has a thread like this but it is more about carrying. How about your home defense rifle? Do you keep a round chambered in your AR or AK?

I don't currently, I don't even keep a loaded magazine in it. Always two loaded mags ready to go. I guess it is because I have the handgun for quick access and the rifle is more of a secondary.

JMd

2. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I don't have kids in the house, so I keep a round in the chamber.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

How do you store your fire extinguisher? Fully charged in case you need it!

4. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I don't have a fire extinguisher. The fire department is only minutes away. </sarcasm>

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

Lets just say any SD or HD gun I have is ready to fire. I don't see the point of a a SD/HD being unloaded, but to each his (or her) own.

6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I don't use a rifle for HD but my shotguns and pistols are fully loaded and chambered. They're worthless if they're not.

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I don't use a rifle for HD. I have a loaded mag for my AR ( more for critters) and I do have a 12 ga that is chambered.

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I have a 308 'assault' rifle leaning against my wall with 20 rounds of hand-made Nosler Partitions set at Defcon-2 level.

9. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

What's an assault rifle and defcon 2 ?

Having a loaded gun at any time is a bad idea you could hurt someone.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

That is the intention! :D

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

one in the chamber safety on. 60+1 bcm midlength carbine

12. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I only keep my EDC chambered. Our rifles are in the safe. Why would you need an SD rifle? We have our pistols next to us at all times. I do keep 3 mags loaded for the AR if that counts.;)

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

If a handgun without a chambered round is "an expensive club," does that mean a rifle without a round chambered is... An expensive battering ram?

14. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

Yep. :D We need the gubment to legislate battering rams. :eek:

15. PappaJim

PappaJim New Member

I don't even own a Tactical style rifle. Heck the only semi-auto rifles I own are .22lr's. So my " Home Defense Rifle" would have to be my Winchester 94 AE .44 mag. and no I don't generally keep it loaded. A matched pair of Beretta 96 .40's pretty much do duty for all my Home defense needs. 7 full mags of .40 with 800 rounds in the closet as back up, pretty much dissuades any evil bumps in the night. But I live in a real small house in town now and anything longer than the Winchester or maybe a Carcano carbine would be more of a hindrance than a help. When I lived on the farm and we had four legged critters at fair distances to deal with I kept the Winchester Mod. 70 .30-06 loaded.

16. JW357

JW357 New Member

I have two bolt actions, a lever action, and a Ruger 10-22. And the Ruger is the only one I have ammo for... So no HD rifle for me, yet. :(

17. JW357

JW357 New Member

Shhh! Not too loud! They'll hear you!

18. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

I figure a middle aged man in his drawers, pointing a Mosin Nagant with bayonet attached will scare the bad guys faster than racking the slide on a Remington 870... :D

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

LOL, you don't want to know about the Mauser.... ;)

20. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

Just use a spork Axxe.... :D