Bullet drop conpensator ar scopes

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by assualtready070, Dec 20, 2013.

1. assualtready070

assualtready070 New Member

I have the Bushnell 1x4 pcl (power change lever) scope that has the BTR-1 reticle that has bullet drop holdover points from 100 to 500 yards. It says to sight in at 100 yards and you SHOULD be on to 500 yards. i sighted it in at 100 and i know that the holdover points aren't exact, but when i try at 300 yards i wasn't even on target has anyone ever had any expirence with this scope and can give me there opinion on it and or some advice?

2. sandog

sandog Member

Not familiar with the Bushnell BDC, but the Leupold Mark AR fire dot SPR reticle I have is right on with the load it is calibrated to, the 62 gr. M855 load. It has hold over tics to 800, I have shot it out to 500 and the elevation was right on. But I had to do some windage correction at that range. Any BDC should be shot at various ranges with the ammo you will be carrying in your rifle. Your line for example, 400 yards, might actually be on for only 350, depending on the load you are shooting, how high your scope is above the bore, your elevation above sea level, etc. Also, I have sighted in for 100, then find out at 400 or 500, that my bullets are hitting 9 inches to the right, almost missing the target. You need to sight in for the longer ranges, and not worry so much about where you are hitting at 100, it will still be close enough to hit, unless you are picking off flies at that distance. So get a big piece of cardboard for a target, and find out why you aren't hitting the target when holding at the 300 yard mark, and adjust accordingly. I would rather be hitting an inch ( or even two) to the side at 100, than missing the target completely at 300. Sight in so you are, say for example, hitting dead center at 300 with your 300 BDC mark, and don't worry if it's off a tad at 100.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Depends on what power level the bdc is set for. If the bdc is set for 1x and your at 2,3,or4 its going to be way off same for any other combination.

You also need to use the bullet weight the bdc works with. If the bdc is set with a 55grain fmj and your using a 75 grain bthp your also going to get radically different results.

4. sandog

sandog Member

A good point, Jon. Most of the BDC's I know of are meant to be used at the highest power.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Another issue you run into is without a quality rangefinder it's difficult to estimate your distance. I can take exactly one yard steps for 35 or 40 yards. But 500 one yard steps is impossible. I am a tall fellow. I have to stretch my legs to take a one yard step. I am not sure I can take a full one yard step in rough terrain or a loose dirt. Even if you have a fence post that you are moving to a mark, you will gain or lose a couple inches each time you move it. Inches add up to yards in a hurry.