Featured Bullet Decision

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by David_Ray, Nov 13, 2017.

1. David_Ray

David_Ray Member

I got a H&R Break 26" Heavy Barrel. I shot 2 different factory bullets and it liked them both. A Remington Core Loot 100 grain and the Hornady 117 grain American Whitetail. My question is which one you think is gonna do best on a deer? 1112170958.jpg

2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

either one! i doubt the deer would know the difference. both are deer killers.

3. David_Ray

David_Ray Member

I haven't shot these bullets. I've always used a ballistic tip. But the gun didn't like those. So the core lokt and Hornady Whitetail is good? That's what I'm asking

Dallas53 likes this.
  4. Dallas53

either one would be excellent for deer hunting. the Hornady would give you a little more in down range energy, but the Remington would give you a little more velocity. the Hornady has a little higher BC and would give you a little flatter trajectory as well.

if i had to choose between the two, i'd go with the Hornady. but the Remington in your rifle, giving the groups you got, would work just as well too.

stalkingbear and David_Ray like this.
  5. David_Ray

David_Ray Member

I think I'm gonna go with the Hornady then. Because I will be hunting bean fields with it also

Dallas53 likes this.
  6. Dallas53

i'll be honest. i do a lot of reloading, and don't shoot very much factory ammo anymore, and i use a lot, by a vast majority of Hornady bullets in my handloads. so in some ways, i am a bit biased!

but i have used the Remington Core-Lokt factory ammo in the past, in various calibers and dropped deer right in their tracks.

David_Ray likes this.
  7. David_Ray

David_Ray Member

Well I was looking at prices. The Hornady is cheaper and the bullet drop is better on the Hornady also. What's really gonna make my mind up is when I shoot a deer and see how it performs on it, that's gonna be the final decision

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. Dallas53

the Hornady American Whitetail line of ammo is only a few years old, and one of their newer lines of ammo, but the bullet they are using, the Interlock has been around for a few decades now. they have increased it's BC to some degree, making it more accurate at longer ranges, but the performance on putting deer down should be the same as in years past using the same type of bullet. it has an excellent reputation of performing in hunting applications. in a way i'm surprised. i would have thought the Remington Core-Loct's would have been cheaper. they use to be some of the lesser expensive hunting ammo that worked really good. been a shile since i bought any factory ammo though.

9. David_Ray

David_Ray Member

I was shocked myself to see they were cheaper than the Core Lokts. But that's ok, that's even better. I'm fixing to stock up on them suckers

Dallas53 likes this.
  10. Danoobie

Danoobie Active Member

Hornady is real good. It's also a good idea to stock up. You'll
    probably find your accuracy improves a little, once you commit to
    one particular load. I always get extra, for re-sighting scopes, and to
    avoid running out during hunting season.

David_Ray likes this.
  11. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Personal preference, Sierra bullets.

Dallas53 likes this.
  12. Dallas53

i use Sierra bullets as well. they make some good bullets.

but i will venture a guess, any of the major bullet manufacturers that have been in business for very long, will make pretty decent bullets.

SRK97 likes this.
  13. Greg_r

Greg_r Active Member

I am going to side with the 117 grain as well. The 117 grain will give you a flatter trajectory over range, which is something you need in the beanfield rifle. The 100 grain will likely give a bit more expansion. Either is a good bullet.

I used the 87 grain bullets for groundhogs and the 117 grain bullets. I guess I just like bullets that end in 7. .257/87/117. I don't know. ;) really just poking fun at myself, But they are traditional weights for the caliber.

The 6 and 6.5 mm are all the rage today, but compare the BC of the. 257 and a comparable .244 or .264 bullet. I think you will be surprised!

Dallas53 and locutus like this.
  14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I prefer the Speer 100 grain boat tail JSP.

Dallas53 likes this.
  15. David_Ray

David_Ray Member

I like the Winchester silver Ballistic tips, but my gun likes the Core Lokts and Hornadys

Dallas53 likes this.
  16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I like the core-lokt also. Darned good bullet.

David_Ray and Dallas53 like this.
  17. David_Ray

David_Ray Member

Well my gun likes those too