Bullet costs?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by xcoreyyyx, Jun 19, 2012.

1. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I do not know if there is such thing out there but does anyone have a bullet cost sheet? Something that tells you generally how much ammo is costing per bullet and what is the cheapest to most expensive bullets to shoot? I figure I will be picking up a few new rifles soon and I want something bigger than a .22lr but I do not want to be spending tons and tons on ammo. Just figured that there may be a chart on this somewhere or general knowledge on it? I know there are plenty of variations of ammo to buy and there is the cheap kind and the higher end kind. If not then oh well.

2. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

When I purchase bullets I usually use a calculator.
    Due to my shooting fetish I shoot a BB pistol and Air rifle a lot.
    It is great practice and aids in trigger control and target acquisition.

.177 BB's at $.002/BB...Crosman
    .22lr at $0.03/rd...Blazer

.380acp at $.26/rd...Tula
    9mm Luger at $0.24/rd...Tula

.40acp at $0.28/rd...Tula
    .45acp at $0.30/rd...Tula

3. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Thanks. This is something that I am generally looking for. I just figure that I want something cheap to shoot but yet fun to shoot. I know I could always switch to reloading if I bought any big calibers. So I was just looking for a nice chart that displayed general price of calibers so I could see how much it would be to shoot whatever rifle I would be getting so that I am not spending tons and tons on ammo and I would eventually get tired of spending it and just hang it on the wall.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

First, let's get the terms right.

You buy BULLETS when you are a reloader. A bullet is the part that comes out of the barel.

OTOH, YOU are looking for CARTRIDGES or AMMO.

In general, the more widespread the use of a caliber, the less it will cost at retail- which is why 12 g shotshells are a lot cheaper than .410s.

In handguns other than 22 rf, least expensive is likely 9mm Parabellum, .45 ACP, and MAYBE .38 Special.

Rifles- 7.62x54R, 8mm Mauser, 7.62x39, 7.62 NATO, 5.56, 5.45x39. Much of the cheap 30-06 is gone. The CHEAP MILSURP 6.5 Carcano, .303 Enfield, M1 Carbine, 6.5 or 7.7 Jap is LONG gone.

You can go to a site like Ammoman or Cheaper than Dirt, check their prices, or go peruse the shelves at WallyWorld.

And if you think any of THAT stuff is pricey, I have a Winchester Mdl 71. Caliber .348 Winchester. About $75/20 rounds. (John 11: verse 35)

5. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Sorry teacher, I keep confusing those layman and technical terms.
    Cartridges vs Bullets...Clip vs Magazine...Gun vs Weapon...
    Girl vs Boy...Pistol vs Revolver...Me vs You...

6. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

So I do shoot bullets out of my gun, so I do need more bullets to shoot then, right??;)

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

you can do simple math when you go to lookat prices too. just divide the total cost by the number of rounds.

ex. $300 for 1000rounds= .30cents a round

now to the chart.. i dont know of one. just general knowledge

8. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

Corey, you need to do some homework. Go to the various online sellers with ammo and compare their prices. That is how you find out. There isnt any chart.

9. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  10. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Thanks Beagle, I forgot where that was at .

11. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I am just headed to an upcoming gun show and some people say that gun shows are a little more pricey than some of the online sites but if I am there I figure that I could save on the shipping costs and possibly it would be the same if not cheaper than ordering a bunch online.

12. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Good answer c3

13. genesis

genesis New Member

I reload my own 38 wad cutters and cast my own bullets. Every couple of years, I sift all the sand and recycle the lead from my sand trap. Get almost every bit of my lead back. I count brass and my initial lead purchase as an investment. I know it takes some electricity to melt the lead, and some cases get splits, but it's such a small fraction that I don't even count those costs. So the only ongoing cost to me is primers and powder. My cost per round is approximately $0.04 per round, or $2.00 per box of 50.

Don <><

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  14. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

15. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

^^

Thanks I will check it out.

16. c3shooter

BTW, while I DO make smartassed comments now and again, those usually have a smiley face.

The distinction between bullets and ammo was made for a reason. We have had new shooters walk into a shop or a gunshow, or buy on-line, and buy a box of 500 .357 Wadcutter BULLETS- and when they open the box, are very upset to find that is exactly what they bought- BULLETS- not loaded ammo.

Unlike the magazine/ clip issue, this actually can make a difference in the prices you will see listed- and you DO need to ask for the correct thing. Did not want you to think I was poking fun atcha.

17. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

No worries c3shooter. You are correct on the issues you have directed me on. It's just I use general terms not "gun shooter" terminology. Maybe one day I will be as smart as you haha. Where are you located in central virginia if you don't mind me asking. Do you own a shop or just do gun work in your spare time? I am looking to off a few of my current guns that I don't have the tools or knowledge to repair and was looking to send them to a nice home or just get them worked on.

18. c3shooter

Corey- Powhatan County. Not, not a smith nor a dealer- Engineer (semi-retired) and gun collector. where R U ?

19. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Well, I am in Maryland, but I am headed to see family in south western Virginia, near Roanoke so I will be driving all through Virginia to get there.