Bulk storage recommendations

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by DP03, Feb 19, 2014.

1. DP03

DP03 New Member

Let me say first that I don't store NEAR as much ammo as lots of folks on this board. But I do stock various calibers, and up to now I'm using multiple ammo boxes, like the zombie boxes, etc.

I'm looking for ideas for ammo storage in larger containers. Is it necessary to have a waterproof oring seal? I would be putting dehumidifier packs in whatever I use. I do not need storage for the next few decades, but really just for the next year, etc.

I recently bought some of the "dry as a bone containers" advertised on this site, which will be great for the range/field, but I'm looking for larger, home storage. Thanks.

2. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Look at 20mm ammo boxes.

3. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

There is a big problem using larger ammo storage boxes ie: weight. I have about 20 of the old South African cases which when they arrived, had 1240 rounds of .308 ammo in them. I think they weighed just north of 70lbs when full. Talking about weight, A std USGI .30cal ammo can filled with 1200 9mm rounds weighs around 30lbs. A USGI .50cal can filled with about 2500 9mm rounds is close to 60lbs. So unless your weight lifter, I would go with smaller boxes. I do.

:rolleyes:

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

And keep it all in a cool dry place and they will last for decades. (like don't put your ammo cans on cement but on a board or off the floor, and away from sunlight and heat vents, etc)

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Holy cow your back!!!! :D

Welcome back Anna!

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Thank you Texaswoodworker :)

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

.50 cal ammo cans work well. Make sure the seal is stilll good and put 2-3 packs of dessicant in with thee ammo.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Ammo Cans !.................

9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I have a bunch from MTM( 5, 3 ammo cans and two Dry boxes) but if your talking about more storage space and can't fing the 20MM cans, look into MTM's round(cylindrical) watertight cans...
    Also if weight isn't an issue, the storage bins in Wally or Target( the watertight ones) could also be a possibility IF your also going to set up an inner layer of strong plastic bags....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  10. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Have never purchased any ammo cans (blasphemy I know). I store my ammo locked up in Rubbermaid containers with dessicant packs. They are in a conditioned space and I've never had any issues.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

11. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

You can't beat a 50 cal can with a good seal on it. :D

12. rachilders

rachilders New Member

Something for you to consider...

In the 1980's I purchased a stand up style freezer about the size of an average refrigerator. It has three large shelves, storage bins in the bottom and built into the door as well as a heavy duty factory door lock. I used it for many years and own it to this day. About twelve years ago my family moved and we put the freezer in the garage since we weren't going to use it. At first I considered selling it since it still worked just fine and looks like new. However, I had second thoughts and it now has a second life as my ammo storage container. It's virtually weather/water proof and fire resistant - it is an insulated metal freezer after all - and is heavy (especially with umpteen thousands of rounds in it) for those that might want to carry it away. I keep a 25W bulb burning inside to help remove any humidity and unless you look inside it looks like nothing more than what it, a freezer. FWIW, since the door is always locked unless I'm doing something with it, that look isn't likely. I use my old freezer since it was available and already had a lock on it but a used/discarded refrigerator would do the job just as well. Also, while I keep my "ammo storage container" in the garage, any room will do (a basement or spare room) as long as you can fit it inside the space.

While the freezer is doing just fine where it is for now, who knows, if I ever decide to sell all my guns and ammo, I might just plug her back in and fill it up with ice cream! :D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  13. mahall

mahall New Member

I've shot ammo that has been laying around 50 years, belonged to my Father. Just goes to show, that ammo doesn't have to be stored in an airtight flawless environment to last! Keep it in a cool, in a reasonably dry place, and it will out live you and your children! Like most guns will, with reasonable care.

Like guns, love people!!