Bulk Smokeless Powder for ML

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by RMc, Sep 30, 2010.

1. RMc

RMc Member

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Blackhorn 209 isn't the same as smokeless powder. It's supposed to be very good and clean burning but I haven't tried it yet as I still have a few pounds of Jim Shokey Gold left.

3. RMc

RMc Member

Bulk Smokeless

"...an independent spectrographic and gas chromatograph analysis of Blackhorn 209 conducted by Luke Haag and published by C. Rodney James in 2009 (Single Shot Rifle Journal, Jan/Feb 2009, Vol. 62, NO. 1) revealed that it is a nitrocellulose base powder with potassium nitrate and sulfur added..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~manzanovalph/Blackhorn209.pdf

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Yeah but what I'm saying is it's not conventional smokeless powder due to the burn rate-lest someone out there try it at home with smokeless powder in their muzzleloader.

5. RMc

RMc Member

Understand.

That is probably why BlackHorn 209 is marketed without mention of its nitrocellulose base.

6. Highpower

Highpower New Member

As for the rest of the story....
    http://home.earthlink.net/~manzanovalph/Blackhorn209.pdf

It appears to me that there is a pattern of leaving out specific information about this product from both the manufacturer and reviewers. Things like the fact that is packaged in a standard 1 lb. canister, but only contains 10 ounces of power. Doesn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about the stuff. :cool:

I don't own an in-line muzzle loader so I have no dog in this hunt. But after looking at a few independent reviews on the web about the powder, it appears to be good stuff for some applications, but not so much for others. (Shotgun and small caliber metallic cartridges.) I have also read that the nitrocellulose base is not allowed for use in certain matches or some states for hunting?

Also interesting is the fact that I cannot find a published MSDS sheet for the product. Just some observations from the sideline.

7. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Guess I don't need to worry about it...regular ole blackpowder is all I shoot. ;)

8. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

RMc, thanks for the link. i know a guy who left his Knight rifle uncleaned for a couple of weeks after firing it using BlackHorn. Now the bore is rusted and pitted.

IMO: BlackHorn is too darn expensive and i will stick with Goex Pinnacle and JSG.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  9. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

Quigley you are my kind of guy, nothing but black. 2fdown the tube and 4f in the pan, what else could you ask for?:)

10. RMc

RMc Member