bulk ammo

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Boyerracing343, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Where do you all shop when purchasing bulk ammo for .22 lr ammo? i own about 5 .22's and always find my self shooting tons of rounds. Any good sites for purchasing ammo from with really good deals. Ive gone through cheaper than dirt but does anyone else know of any nice places to buy ammo from for a great price? Thank you.

2. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Try the Walmart at exit 14 on 64 highway;)

3. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Agreed, Walmart 550-555 round boxes for around $14.00 locally.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

All my 22 needs are met by Walmart as well. Unless you need the high end match grade stuff you won't find it cheaper then at walmart.

5. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Thanks for the advice, but i wasn't clear in my post. I have been buying 500 round boxes for a while now, I was looking to buy more quantity, such as i have found some 3330 round packages and even a 5550 round packages. Is that about the same that everyone else finds when searching for bulk ammo or anyone have any other luck? Thank you.

6. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I've found that they usually dont have the bulk prices online for midway usa.....I call them, and tell them what I am looking for and they are very helpful.

7. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

When was the last time you checked Midway online? The bulk ammo prices are there now, but It doesn't look like any discount is given for buying the 5000, 5550 or 5250, 3250 and it looks like it mostly on backorder right now. I didn't see any 3330 bulk to purchase.

Cabela's will sell in bulk quantity as well, but still not really a huge savings over the regular price you can find elsewhere unless you factor in the $14.99 dry storage box.

Federal 2100 rounds, four boxes of 525.

I found this at Dunn's, 4000 of American Eagle.

There are some places that will give you a discount if you order 10 or more boxes of any ammo, just search the web for the particular brand and type you're looking for then add 10 or 20 to your cart and see if there is a reduction in price. I doubt you'll save a lot compared to Wal-Mart prices considering you'll be paying for shipping too.

8. SodFarmer

SodFarmer New Member

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Like most everybody else, I grab a brick from Walmart nearly every time I visit. I'm quite fond of the Winchester 333 as well as the Federal bulk packs...

10. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Check Natchez shooters supply, widners reloading, Bruno Shooters supply and CSS Champion Shooters Supply Official Website
    These are mail order places, they will have most any ammo you are looking for.

The best of the big box is the Federal Auto Match, about $17.00 for a box of 325. They shoot far better than the other big box stuff and have fewer duds.
    Buy a few boxes of wolf MT @ $4.50 a box if you want to see the accuracy of your gun, the Wolf is the best shooting Match ammo for the price, you can spend 4 times as much and gain very little.

Try the Auto Match, cost just a little more than some of the big box ammo, but shoots far better. Worth every penny. The wolf shoots 2/3 smaller groups in my Savage on average than the Auto match, but everything else big box wise shoots far bigger groups than the auto match.
    I have shot .1" groups using the Wolf, but my Savage has been accurized by a really good smith, made a big difference.

John K

11. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Avoid Remington Golden Bullets bulk packs (aka Golden Bullsquish) unless you enjoy...
    FTF
    short powder rounds
    no powder rounds (squibs)
    spotty primer placement
    no primer placement
    out-of spec bullets
    failed crimps
    out-of-spec cases

That's all I can think of for problem's I've had with 'em.

I have a couple Calico carbines & pistols with extra 100-round mags...
    I burn thru more ammo in a day than most folks use in a year.
    Remington .22lr's are the WORST I've ever run across.

12. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Best bulk ammo, Federal Auto Match. 325 rounds for about $17.00.
    A little more expensive but worth it, much better groups than the lousy Remington an almost no duds.

John K

13. remington7mm

remington7mm New Member

i just picked up 500 remington thunderbolts for 12.99 onsale form dicks sporting goods yesterday for my dads marlin witch will eat them like no tomarrow! no to bad for something that will last longer than anything!

14. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I go to Sportsman's Warehouse - Blazer CCI .22LR runs $16.99 a 500 brick.

15. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Do take the time to try ammo such as the Federal Auto Match.
    Just geting 500 rounds for a low price does not mean you ae getting a deal because you get more rounds for less.

Try some different big box ammo and see what your gun shoots the most accurate. I've tried several different big box ammo's and they range from shotgun groups to smaller groups.

I don't know of any big box ammo that will shoot tight groups, but if your hunting small game, at least give yourself a chance by using an ammo that at least groups decent.

Spray and pray, buy the cheapest, but if you care about hitting what you are aiming at, take the time to find what shoots the best, even if it's a little more expensive.

Just my 2 cents, John K

John K

16. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

NEVER had troubles with Remington Golden Bullets, my Sig Mosquito LOVES them..................they're almost (if not equal to) as hot as CCI Mini-Mags.

Wal-Mart $18.96 per 550.

17. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Your darn lucky, I wish my rifles liked them, neither my Savage or 10-22 shoots them well, they pattern like a shotgun at 50 yards, and bot guns are very good shooters, lots of duds also.

If you target shoot, do try one box of Auto Match.
    They may be hot, but do they group???

John K

18. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

Agree 100%! By far the best big box store ammo out there. I have not seen an autoloader that doesn't like them. At least 10 different guns I know of, all different in make and age, have done well with this stuff. The ability to not have to buy ammo X for this gun and ammo Y for this one, easily makes up for a few extra pennies. It shoots more accurate that most bulk packs. I don;t believe it is 'hot', not much over standard velocity.

19. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

I've shot a lot of the Golden Bullets through my Marlin 60 without much trouble, I'll get an occasional misfire or weak round but it's only 4 or 5 out each 525/550 bulk pack. For cheap, target ammo that can group 1" at 100-yards, it's hard to complain about it. If and when I need something to fire 100% I load up with the CCI Mini-Mag and Blazer.

20. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I hate them too,I would shoot one handed handgun and get one that was weak then the next one kicked me like a 9,I like the Federal copper plated bulk packs the best.