bulk.308

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by tacticalfun, May 17, 2012.

1. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

I cant seem to find any milsurp or steel case anywhere ._____.

2. tCan

tCan Active Member

Its out there! Wolf or Brown Bear

3. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Aimsurplus.com

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

4. gr8wapiti

gr8wapiti New Member

Hit the gun shows, you can find mil surplus 7.62X51 ammo which is the same as .308 but has lower CAP than commercial ammo. You can get 600 rounds for about $70, don't try to reload them though the primers are crimped and you'll break your pin off. Its good FMJ ammo and cheap for plinking. The ammo i've shot is from Lake City.

5. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

You should check your post for typos. Your math is way off. I doubt there is surplus ammo out there anywhere for .11 per round. In most places, and I have looked, battle packs of 200 are going for more than $100. I haven't even seen any of that ultra-cheap junk ammo from places like India and Pakistan, which I sure wouldn't shoot through any of my guns. I know you are not going to get any ammo from Lake City Arsenal, which is good stuff, for the price you mentioned.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

$.11/rnd sounds like reload price.

7. cottontop

cottontop Guest

308 brass

As long as it is brass and not steel you can reload it. There are tools available to remove the primer crimp, so crimped in primers are not a problem.
    cottontop

8. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

This ammo is listed as $7.50 for a 20-round box, which is .37 per round. I would like someone to find a sight where .308/7.62 x 51 is .11 per round. I am not trying to be a smart a$$. I just think the original post I was referring to had a typo.

9. tri70

tri70 New Member

10. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I've been checking their prices for a while now. Haven't purchased yet, but I'm going to get some of their blaster ammo one of these days to try out.

11. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I would strongly suggest that anyone who is concerned about ammo availability get set up to start reloading. In addition to being able to have it available, one can make ammo that works very well in a particular gun. I know many of you will join me in saying this. I was fortunate to have bought lots of the good surplus ammo while it was available at affordable prices, but I also loaded up on reloads. I am a little concerned about ammo market manipulation during the election season.

12. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

13. gr8wapiti

gr8wapiti New Member

Sorry guys my fingers can't see what their typing sometimes, I meant $270 for 600 rnds. The boxes are stamped Lake City and they shoot good, I have no reason to doubt thats where they came from. Also Cottontop thanks I need to look into that tool, i've broken 3 pins on that damn brass.

14. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I broke two pins and bent the stem on my Redding competition die trying to size this brass.

15. RiverRat68

RiverRat68 RiverRat68 Supporter

Try BrassManBrass.com, I know they have just about everything you might want, and it's usually shipped the same day as ordered. ;)Prices are hard to beat, also!!

16. Sport45

Sport45 New Member

I'd like to see that too.

Then I'd have to buy a M1a. I don't have anything that shoots .308 now. :)

17. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I actually did buy some good surplus ammo for this price, but it was back in 2003 or 2004. I bought a bunch of the Australian and Portuguese stuff and still have most of it. The Portuguese ammo was $22.00 for a 200-round battle pack. I also bought some of the South African stuff at a decent price. Those days are over. What surplus ammo that is available is real pricey, and a lot of it is not of good quality. Reloading is not cheap but at least we can have real good ammo by doing it.

18. barneygoogle

barneygoogle New Member

The last lake city ammo I got was two 50 rd belts used in the Vietnam M60 and half the primers were corroded pretty bad. I still have them hanging on the wall but will not shoot them.