Bulged barrel

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by JWagner, Nov 2, 2013.

1. JWagner

JWagner New Member

I recently got a Mexican Mauser rifle dated 1937. I noticed that when cleaning with a brush or a patch, the drag along the length of the barrel is not constant. About 4 inches back from the muzzle, the drag on the brush goes way down. Ahead of that point or behind it the drag feels normal. So I put the calipers on the barrel. The suspected bulge measures .695 inch diameter and the places in front or behind measure .687 inch diameter. Is there a way to correct this or just let it go. I cannot imagine that it is an improvement to the gun.

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Don't fire it. Have it inspected by a gunsmith.

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Some rifles will maintain accuracy with bulge. It depends if it has enough rifling after it passes the "Jump". The only real option is to have the barrel cut and crowned behind the bulge.
    If the little Mauser is nice I would consider a new barrel turned to the original dimensions;).

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

True.................................

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would say if its got enough length to stay legal have it choopped and crowned. a lot of those old war uns perform better with shorter barrels. it stiffens them and can improve accuracy and reduces heat buildup.

if its too far back to stay legal rebarrel it. i personally wouldnt shoot it with a bulge

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Very true. I would scope the bulge. If it has a metal fracture in the expanded area it may not be forgiving. :)

7. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

If the .008 distortion is distributed in the entire circumference it is only about 1% but if is restricted to small portion of the circumference it can be at least 10% distortion. There is no way to know how much stress (pressure) it can withstand. You could shoot it once and have a catastrophic failure, or it may never fail. How much do you value your physical well being? I believe I heard that some of the Mex Mausers had questionable metal.