BUIS drop test, Troy vs. Diamondhead vs. MBUS

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Quentin, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Quentin

Quentin New Member

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I have a back up set of backup MBUS - is that like a double negative, meaning i have no MBUS at all :confused: - anyhow, I didn't think much of them either and just keep them in a drawer.

Might be the results are due to the rigidity of the aluminum sights not absorbing the impact as well as the plastic would? :confused:

nice find Q

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I plan on outfitting my first AR with a rear MBUS, glad to see this.

4. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I can't say I'm surprised by the results. I've been using MBUS for a while now. The Troys are nice and look cool but the MBUS are less expensive and have sat atop my ARs for years just fine. There's a reason Magpul and Troy sell so many sights. Good gear is good gear.

5. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Thank you and i'm glad reading this thread. I only use MBUS on my 3 ARs and been eyeing on the Troys lately. Now i'm ease and proud of them, eventhough they are cheap.
    Getting Troys in the future? Sure why not?.. when i have extra funds ;)

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ive currently got a matech on mine but its protected by an acog which was dropped from shoulder height bounced on the concrete floor of my basement simply cuz im a clumsy dummy, no poi shift. Properly protect your buis and it wont get damaged.

Armor up!!

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah I wonder how a Matech would do with its long skinny aperture arm. It doesn't lock so could harmlessly fold back on impact. And they do hold up for the military.

Anyway I have three rear MBUS sights and now feel more confident in their toughness. Two 5' drops on concrete with no real damage and little need for rezeroing is more than reassuring.

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

16 moa! OW! gonna have to be more careful with my Diamonds....

9. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Glad I went with Magpul front and rear. Sweet

10. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

Wow, I'm impressed. I went with the MBUS for cost reasons, this is a nice little bonus!

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have magpul and troy sights and I like my magpul best. I think the magpul takes the blows better because they can fold back and pop back up where the other 2 are locked in the up position and cannot fold down upon a impact . This is one reason I don't care for my troys. And this is good news for people looking for a cheaper option. Remember more expensive isn't always better.

12. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Doesn't Yankee Hill rank anymore? I have a set on one of my AR's and thought they were one of the better makers. Didn't even get a look for this test, though.

13. pantherBDC

pantherBDC New Member

I may be way out in left field--but I'm a bit dubious about this test and it's conclusions--and BTW I have the magpul BUIS mounted on my SASS, so I'm not prejudiced.

This was based presumably on a drop test only--and it doesn't say whether or not the sights were repeatedly tested up and down.

Metal being more rigid than plastic in general--I wonder if the other sights didn't possibly transfer the impact forces to attachments and rails--they too should have been measured. Plastic has it's issues with heat. I would have like to see a milspec fixed ironsight setup tested as well just out of curiousity and base for comparison.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well panther and fireguy, you can get your wish. 5' on concrete. Your rifle, your sights. Let us know how it goes! :p

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

reality check.

back up iron sights are typically mounted with an optic. the optic will protect the buis from most damage until the optic is broken or removed. if you then keep dropping your rifle you probably have more issues going on than a bent rear sight.

16. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I can practice the French infantry drill with it.
    Pee pants
    Drop gun
    Run

I'll need to devise a contro procedure to ensure it lands on the sight on concrete instead of a pile of poo if I mistakenly run the French infantry drill level II.

17. 10P8TRIOT

10P8TRIOT New Member

Glad to hear this. I've been thinking about upgrading my MBUS to Troy. I'll spend the $120 elsewhere.

18. pantherBDC

pantherBDC New Member

Personally, I would base my decision on what shoots best and most consistently at the greatest range of distances--not which is the better basketball. I don't have that info myself.

19. okdonk

okdonk New Member

What shoots best and most consistently at the greatest range of distances?... It all depends on how each individual shoots, breath control and etc. Sights are only tools and the person is the brain where the bullet is going to.
    Just saying..

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I would say if anything this test proves the MBUS will hold zero as well as any BUIS. So it stands to reason it will do a fine job as a rear sight if needed.

I agree with Patriot, might as well get the MBUS and have the extra $100 for ammo and other things. The sight is gonna work. I have three and admit I had concerns about its toughness but this test eases my mind.