Built my first ar 15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by patrickkr, Jan 19, 2014.

1. patrickkr

patrickkr New Member

I finally broke down and built one

Anderson manufacturing am-15 lower
    Psa lower build kit
    Ptac 16" 5.56 NATO 1:9 twist heavy barrel upper with 12" Midwest industry hand guard
    Magpul mbus gen 2 flip up sights

I have a couple things that are still being shipped and I will post a pic of it completed when the stuff gets here.

Let me know what you think

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1390155720.305916.jpg

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

first of all nice looking build! very nicely done.

second, welcome to the forum. stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone and tell us a bit about yourself.

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

4. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Very nice. I just got into building myself. Damn if it ain't addictive. Finished my second lower build last night, already planning my third. I will likely go with an Anderson lower. Used Delton on first two.

I've been obsessed with checking PSA's deals everyday. I think that's part of their business strategy!! Also use JoeBob's, their shipping is usually two days as opposed to 2-3 weeks.

5. patrickkr

patrickkr New Member

Thanks, it will look better when the rest if my parts get here. I only shot 1 round through it so far I'm saving ammo to sight it in once my optic gets here.

6. patrickkr

patrickkr New Member

Psa is the only reason I built one I got my lower for $80 lower build kit for $87 and upper for $415.

7. patrickkr

patrickkr New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1390344714.870487.jpg

My magpul pistol grip still has not arrived but it's pretty much done.

8. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

If you think BRD (black rifle disease) is bad try retro BRD;)

It's 100x worse, you plan build 3-4 before #1 is done:eek:

9. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Member

Sputnik. What do you mean BRD? I am on build 14 and have not contacted it!

10. string1946

string1946 New Member

It looks good. I started my 6th lower build yesterday and found out the lower parts kit I had was missing the bolt catch buffer and I had to order one from Brownells. Part 92 cents, shipping $7.95.

11. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Anybody here build with a 80 percent lower?

EZ

12. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Of course!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Firearms Talk mobile app

13. patrickkr

patrickkr New Member

I went to a local gun shop today a wouldn't you know it they had a sale on lowers 2 for $100 of the Anderson mfg. am-15. I just spent $800 to build this one and I just couldn't help myself and got two more.

14. patrickkr

patrickkr New Member

I put about 90 rounds through it today of cheap Tula ammo. It did have a failure to feed a round got stuck between the bolt and feed ramp. I'm hopeing it's because the cheap steel case ammo and it's new and needs breaking in.

15. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Awesome, told you it's addictive!! PSA can be frustrating at times with shipping and such, but the quality and price make up for it IMO.

Building these rifles now while prices are good and most importantly available is like putting $$$ in the bank. I know most of us remember the way things were a year ago.

16. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

A year ago was ridiculous!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Firearms Talk mobile app

17. JW357

JW357 New Member

Nice build. Congrats.

If this is the first time you've read this, up until now you think I typed this out in response to this thread. Well, the jokes on you. This is my signature line. Know it, embrace it, love it.

18. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I have been doing a ton of research and have decided a build is the way to go. Sounds cool because you can do it as your time and budget allows. Damned if I didn't have enough hobbies. Looks like I will have to sell off some of my straight razor collection lol.