Building shelters

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by CaseyChadwell, May 12, 2014.

1. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I am going camping this weekend with my fiance and am not taking a tent. We are planning on roughing it. I've built plenty of lean to's over the years but after some research I was thinking about a jungle lean to. Seem like they will be much more comfortable and will keep us off the ground. Anyone have any experience building these and if so, do you have any tips? Any help would be appreciated.

2. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

The SAS survival guide by John Wiseman has some awesome examples of nearly evey type of shelter in every climate including jungle. If you can get your hands on that book before you go, I'd check it out. Its a great read and its chock full of awesome info.

3. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Where you at..................

Here in La. we have palmeto. With just a few trees and cross ties you are good to go. And you don't destroy the growth..............Palmeto is becoming allmost extinct due to salt water intrusion..............:(

4. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I was thinking about using larger tarps, 550 cord and some trees and limbs. Seen several pictures online, but nothing really in how to make it all work and go together correctly. I can always figure it out, but thought I'd ask you guys.

5. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Lol..............

Hell I thought you were going in naked.......................;)

6. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Yes Naked and afraid............:D

7. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Well, the fiance will be with me so with any luck.. Well never mind;-)

8. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Ever think about something like this?

Attached Files:

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Tarps work well . I bought a few of these to help keep everything tight as they quick release and retension easily and $3 each . I usually take a 8X10 with me but with 2 people you might go a little bit bigger especially if you think it may rain .

[​IMG]

10. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

I like the nite ize products. They make some solid stuff at really good prices. Never tried those figure 9 rope tighteners though. Might have to pick some up.

11. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A large knife or small hatchet will turn branches with leaves into a lean-to with either bark ties or paracord. However, if you have a few feet of paracord and a tarp, you simply tie paracord between two trees, drape tarp over paracord and stake one or both sides down, a'la Boy Scout pup tent. If a floor is needed, pine needles or leaves and branches can be fashioned into a floor. How much work to put into it is dependent on how long it'll be standing for your use.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  12. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I just picked up a new tarp and a canvas painters drop cloth. I am going to try a few things I see on YouTube and see if I can get my inner mountain man out. If incant he anything to work in the backyard, there's a Walmart up the street and I'll just buy a tent that way my woman will stay dry and happy.

13. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

It didn't turn out too bad.

Attached Files:

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Fiance, huh? Take her to a hotel, and call it "Camping".:)

15. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

She wants to go camping and fishing and wake up early in the morning and go squirrel hunting with me. I picked a good one!! :)

16. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Tie the rope between two tree, center tarp over rope and stake loose ends to the ground. Put another tarp on the ground and dig a trench around the tarp. That way you will stay dry and can scrump.

17. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Lol.............

It's illegal to bait bears in some states...................:eek:;)

18. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

No bear here :). Got some wild boar but I'm hoping the 12 gauge will be enough if a deterrent for them ;-)

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you are camping in a public park I would check the rules and regulations before I started cutting enough saplings to build a lean to.

A jungle lean to would be decent if you have an air mattress.

My idea of camping is getting a motel room close to the area I wanted to hunt and fish. When I go out of town to hunt I get a room at a bed and breakfast. I own property in the area with a nice barn on it. But there is no breakfast waiting on me at 6am in the barn.

20. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I am hunting on private land so cutting things won't be an issue. I love camping. Sleeping on the ground is a good feeling. For some reason it makes my back feel better too.