Building my first AK

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by reb, Oct 10, 2011.

1. reb

reb New Member

Just finished an AR-15 build, now looking to go ahead and build an AK. I have my stamped receiver bent and ready to go. My reciever is from akbuilder.com.

My question is can I use any parts kit with my receiver or do I need a specific kit? I like the underfold kits but I'm not sure if it will work?

2. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

I have this same question. Please help us fellas. :)

3. reb

reb New Member

Anyone????

4. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

I've been doin more research and if its a milled gun or stamped gun I believe its just a different drill pattern on some things. This site has milled receivers for 250.00. They use century kits I beleive. And they can tell you what kit to get I'm sure. WWW.arizonaresponsesystems.com

5. bigtex52

bigtex52 New Member

It sort of depends on what flat you got from Curtis at AK-Builder. A lot of the AK-47s and AK-74s use the same type receivers but the holes for riveting in the trunnions are different patterns and spacings. Also the flats come in different gauge metals, so that can be a little sticky too. Most of the trunnions are machined to fit inside of a 1mm or .040 thick receiver.

6. bigtex52

bigtex52 New Member

For a first build, I would pick a readily available and common kit like a Romanian G or similar. The underfolders need a specific receiver with holes for the folder mechanism. There are about three different sellers of AK parts kits that would I highly recommend, and you can PM me if you want my opinion. LOL. ;)

7. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

Thanx guys. Do you know if the galil receiver is the same as an AK? I know its the same platform... I was maybe builbing 1 of those instead of an AK.

8. bigtex52

bigtex52 New Member

Galil receiver is different than your run of the mill AK-47. Do a google search for Galil receiver.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  9. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

I have found flats. Does that just have to be bent?

10. bigtex52

bigtex52 New Member

Typically, yes. Some flats have bent top rails, some don't. After bending the flat, you still will need to weld in your lower rails and heat treat your axis pin holes and ejector. You might have to drill your trunnion rivet holes as well. It just depends on your flat and who manufactured it. Hope that helps.

11. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

Sure does. Thanx.

12. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

For a good source of building info check out these videos.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/BuildyourownAK?blend=2&ob=1#g/u]BuildyourownAK's Channel - YouTube[/ame]