Building from Canebrakes 13 farewells

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by GSpears471, Mar 23, 2013.

1. GSpears471

GSpears471 New Member

Has anyone been on the receiving end of the flag ceremony from the military funeral? I have. Last year my 85 year old father passed away. Watching the ceremony was pretty impressive. I being the oldest son received the flag and the spent casings. One of the honor guards was someone that had worked at the same company that I had. At the meal after the ceremony I went and met the honor guard and thanked them. My father served in the Army at the tail end of WW2 . He told me that he was a guard at pow.camp in Manila. He said that had the prisoners known the only time they had live ammo issued to them was when there was rumors of suspected upcoming problems things probably would have been a lot worse.
    I had mentioned that I am a reloader and that I was going to make the casings into keyholders and pass them out to family members. The family thought that was a great thing to do for a memorial to our dad.,

2. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes , my wife's father , twenty six years of service , both proud and sad..!

3. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Yes... My Grandfather passed 3 years ago. He had served in the Pacific durring WWII as a Marine Grunt.

My uncle made sure I got one of the casings. I now have fun stumping range commandos who think they've seen it all.

None have been able to correctly ID the spent blank...

Guess you had to train with em to recognize the crimped end for what it is.

Tack

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  4. GSpears471

GSpears471 New Member

The crimped end made them wonder, Huh. I carefully worked on them I only lost 1 of 21 to not forming properly. Who has seen casings from blanks before?

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have my Fathers flag. Got all the casings too. None of them where crimped though.

6. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

My parents have my brother's flag.

Having worked funeral details when I was in, typically you aren't receiving the spent blank casings from the actual firing at the funeral. We would have spent live casings that we would polish to place in the folded flag prior to presentation to the family. Keep in mind the presentation of the flag occurs after TAPS is played and the firing team are normally a distance from the flag detail.

Being on those details was a sobering feeling that I'll never forget!

7. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Ive got 3 flags great gramps, gramps,stepdad no casings. when my stepdad died my mom an grams gave me the 3 flags

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Never looked in the flag, never unfolded it. I put it in a flag case and that's it. The cases I have I picked up[ off the ground. I watched them fly out of the rifles (M1 Garand).

9. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I Have My Grandfather the Coronals and my Dads Flags, even fly them on occasion. Unfortunately no casings from either.

10. BK3220

BK3220 Member Lifetime Supporter

My grandfathers flag hangs on the wall in the fieldhouse of Concordia College in Moorhead Mn where he taught after he got back from the pacific in WW2.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Garand blank- no crimp, red paper disk that holds powder in place. M14, kind of a bottle nosed blank. M16, crimped case.

Typically colors are removed from top of coffin by the honor guard, folded, presented to honor guard senior member, who presents to next of kin, with the thanks of a grateful nation. Firing detail is some distance away when they fire the volleys.

In some cases, the fired rounds are recovered, given to the family, In some, polished rounds are presented as symbolic of the rounds fired (NEVER brasso ammo before shooting- it can kill the primers)

12. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Haven't seen the flags from my grandpas funeral, bother were ww2 vets. Casings are always picked up by kids from what I've seen.

13. GSpears471

GSpears471 New Member

One of the honor guards handed the casings to me they were in a special stars and stripes cloth bag.

14. GSpears471

GSpears471 New Member

They were mostly lake city 30-06 casings, some were not crimped. I'm pretty sure the honor guards had 30-06 's . Probably 5 or 6 were not crimped.Maybe it depends on the availability of the ammo.

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My mother has the flag from my grandfather. I am sure she has never unfolded it. Am I to understand the cases may be folded in the flag?

I made my son a necklace out of a case from my SKS. I drilled out the primer cup and put a piece of black para cord through it. The knots are inside the case. Then I seated and crimped a 150 grain fmj. He thinks it is the coolest necklace he has ever seen.

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Only Vets and perhaps some Hollywood Folks. I would think LEOS as well but nope... It stumped one of them as well.

Tack

17. GSpears471

GSpears471 New Member

I have made keychains (keyholders before there really is no chain involved). I have passed them out to friends before. But not the casings from my dad's funeral, those are for family members only.

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

blank 5.56.jpg
    This is the blank for the M16

blank 7.62.jpg
    The cartridge on the right is a blank for the M14

blank 30-06.jpg

These are 30-06 blanks, used in the M1 Garand or the 1903 Springfield.

19. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Thanks for that C3 ive seen the 5.56 but not the others

20. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

I have my Dad's flag and put it in a display case on top of a matching box where his uniform patches are. Many years after his death I found he'd saved them with some pictures and papers I discovered.

He was creamated and I arranged for his remains to be interred(?) in a veterans' cemetary when they finished a planned columbarium -- there was no 21 gun salute and taps was played on a cassette tape through a big speaker, not even one of the make-believe bugles they use today. But we were in a hot war at the time.