Building AR15 Brand Suggestions?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Armchair_Commando, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Armchair_Commando

Armchair_Commando New Member

I recently decided I was going to try and build an AR15 rather than buying one from a manufacturer. When I was previously looking to buy a complete riffle I was told good things about colt, BCM, daniel defense and a few other but I'm a little lost when it comes to individual pieces. I've just started researching but so far some brands I have checked out are DPMS, RRA, Doublestar, Spikes and others. I'm wondering which of these brands (or other brands) would be your value brand, which is the bang for the buck, and which is the cadillac? and any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Of the ones you have mentioned the Cadillacs of the group are Daniels Defense and Rock River. Followed closely by Spikes. But with that said Double Star makes a good reasonable priced lower receiver. I would not at all be afraid of building a rifle on one of their lowers. If you are going to build one I think you have the idea. Buy good parts! And from a reputable company. At least that way if anything is not right they will make them right by you! And unlikely you will have any parts issues to begin with!
    Let us know if we can assist with your build. There are those of us here that are in the industry and also those that have a vast amount of experience and expertise with the AR Rifle System.;)

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Palmetto State Armory has decent prices on most parts, lower & upper receivers, barrels, lower parts kits, etc.

I purchased a stripped upper (did include the forward assist) and one of PSA's cold hammer forged mid length barrels as the basis of my upper build.

4. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I went PSA for the lower and then the LPK, ordered a Bravo Company Upper with a 1:7 twist and Magpul BUIS. It really comes down to your budget. I would recommend, unless you're in a mechanical field, buying a completed upper and assembling the lower as a 'hello' to the AR world. Lowers aren't that finicky, and if you can put together a childrens toy, you can assemble one. The upper can be a bit trickier.

5. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

I'm about to do a similar build. I keep wanting to diff things" undecided" but i have decided on BCM 16" Carbine upper w/ a C4 rail and frnt sight... New Frontier Armory Lower, Troy folding Rear sight till I can afford a Nice Trijicon. Any suggestions on trigger group?

6. kewldevil1

kewldevil1 New Member

I just recently built an ar. I went with a pof billet lower, Daniel defense upper, Adams arms piston kit, ar-stoner 18 inch 1-8 twist rate, timney 4 pound trigger, magpul buis. It's a sweet set up. Shot a 3 inch group at 200 yards with iron sights.

Attached Files:

7. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

It really depends on what you're wanting to do with it and how much you want to spend. I have the Palmetto State LPK, which has a nice crisp trigger, but you can get fancy with a Geiselle or such, which can run 250 and up, but have some stunning feels to them. I don't need competition quality, and the wife would have beat me to death with the barrel if I'd dropped that much on just the trigger, so I went cheaper.

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Psssst don't feed the trolls. :p

9. kewldevil1

kewldevil1 New Member

I was looking at the Geiselle trigger but the timney is just at good and not as expensive. Still not cheep tho.

10. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

Yea I hear ya there. The wifey approved around 1500 for the build. I have to buy it piece by piece. Priced at just under 15 for the build I'm wanting to do.

11. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Been following aimsurplus.com for Spike's stripped lower. Managed to received 2 email notifications and grabbed a Spike's pirate stripped lower. Then bought a PSA lpk & buffer assembly. Very impressed with PSA's price, quality & shipping. Now i'm still undecided whether i should build another AR or SBR. I'm taking my time slow for which upper i'll be getting or building.

12. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

I recommend Bravo Company Parts. As many as possible. They have imo the best Upper, and BCG. REDJACKET Di uppers I hear are good to. And they come with a BCG for under 800.

13. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I wish Red Jacket sold stripped lowers.

14. kewldevil1

kewldevil1 New Member

Watched sons of guns last night. Lol. It was a nice lower.

15. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

I wouldn't put rock river in a Cadillac section at all. They are midrange IMHO, based on a collection of reviews and their specs.

Cadillac:
    Daniel Defense
    BCM
    LMT
    KAC
    Noveske
    Colt

Best bang for your buck (same specs as the above manufacturers, but not grouped with them due to things unrelated to the product itself):
    Spikes (hard to find in stock. Great reputation, they are last years PSA. Newer company just getting established, prices are great)
    Palmetto State Armory (this is my upper. They are a smaller company SWAMPED with orders, it may take a while to get parts. They are the new Spikes. High quality, but still new on the big scene and struggling to keep up with demand and It shows if you try to actually get ahold of someone there for CS.)

Bargain: (this will probably piss some people off)
    DPMS
    Olympic Arms
    Most "Bubba guns"

Other manufacturers such as S&W sell a cheap, bargain sport model without the high quality specs, all the way up to very decent rifles.

If you have $1500, there is NO reason not to go with a BCM or Daniel Defense rifle. The other things you have to decide are what type gas system, FSP or Low-Profile gas block with an extended rail, tubular or quad rail (recommend tubular), optics included in the price? If so, scope or red dot sight, any additional furniture. For $1500 you should be able to build a complete rifle of the highest quality parts with a good optic.

16. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

Oh, and to with a DI gas system, not a piston. This is a big debate to begin with, but the pros of having the has escape and not foul the chamber and barrel don't come without other cons, such as carrier tilt and a host of other issues. Eugene Stoner was a genius, and the AR platform was meant to be DI. I'd you want a piston system, buy an AK or a M1A.

17. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I agree with most of your post, but the carrier tilt issue has been resolved by the most well known AR piston mfrs (POF, Adams Arms, Ares-bushmaster, Osprey) by including their own proprietary carrier. And the carbon fouling and other gas issues are only a big problem in the teir 3 and lower teir 2 guns. A lot of misinformation on both systems has been put out by people not knowledgeable or having dealt with the bottom of the barrel too long. Quentin, mjkeat, and I debated this issue a while back http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-15-cycling-operation-discussion-35134/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012