Firearms Talk banner

Building an AR

3K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Jake86 
#1 ·
So I was putzing around gun broker when I came across a deal on a Noveske stripped lower. I jumped on it, picked it up.

My plans are as follows.
Noveske 14.5" barrel with switchblock
Noveske MUR Vltor upper receiver
Noveske 9" NSR rail
BCM gunfighter charging handle
BCM mod.0 extended flash hider to be welded and pinned.
Young Mfg bolt carrier group
Chip McCormick duty trigger
Troy folding battle sights

I have ordered some of the items, such as a CMMG LPK, The charging handle, and flash hider. I haven't given thought much about want to run for furniture or an optic...

#2 · (Edited)
Jake,

That sounds like a fantastic build! You will have to send us some Pictures when you get it done followed by a Range Report. The Pistol picured below has some other parts you may want to condider and I would highly recomment the KNS Anti Rotate Trigger and Hammer Pins. They will smooth out any trigger. But it also has quick teardown Pivot and Take Down Pins
Noveske makes some good stuff! It is very sad that John was recently killed in that auto crash. I sure hope his wife and he associates keep the business and the good quality parts coming! May he RIP!
Thought I would throw in one of my weapons that has his Flaming Pig on it! Looks BA!

Attachments

#3 ·
Pics will be soon to follow once I get back from my work trip. Along with some of my parts that I purchased hopefully...

That pistol is a thing of beauty and I do appreciate that advice. Any tips or advice from anyone is always welcomed. That's one of the reasons I joined. To learn what I didn't know, from those that did...

#5 ·
Nice parts list, just wondering why you chose a switchblock. Are you planning on running a can (suppressor) on it? If so, why not get a surefire mb556/aac brakeout or blackout/yhm phantom so you can qd a can onto it before pinning and welding a MD on your barrel. Just a thought.

If you aren't gonna run a can, ditch the switchblock for a plain gas block.

#7 · (Edited)
Nice parts list, just wondering why you chose a switchblock. Are you planning on running a can (suppressor) on it? If so, why not get a surefire mb556/aac brakeout or blackout/yhm phantom so you can qd a can onto it before pinning and welding a MD on your barrel. Just a thought.

If you aren't gonna run a can, ditch the switchblock for a plain gas block.
You know, in the beginning I was thinking about running a can. I may opt for 16" barrel instead of the 14.5" I just want that option to be there. What do you guts think?

#11 ·
You know, in the beginning I was thinking about running a can. I may opt for 16" barrel instead of the 14.5" I just want that option to be there. What do you guts think?
A 16" with a can on it, will be really long and front heavy. If you can get a SBR like a 12.5" and put a can on it.

The switch block is nice, but only if you plan on using a can. Otherwise its an unnecessary expense and weight.

Nice parts list. I'm anticipating seeing some good pron!

#12 ·
A 16" with a can on it, will be really long and front heavy. If you can get a SBR like a 12.5" and put a can on it.

The switch block is nice, but only if you plan on using a can. Otherwise its an unnecessary expense and weight.

Nice parts list. I'm anticipating seeing some good pron!
I probably will ditch the switch block and can thought for now. I have started accumulating my parts. I have my vltor stock, cmmg lpk, Noveske stripped lower, Hogue grip, Magpul trigger guard, and the b.a.d. lever.

#13 ·
Barrel and bolt are the most important! But that's an AWESOME start!

>>cue 70s pron music<<

#17 ·
Alright guys, so I changed my direction a bit.

I ordered a 16" BFM barrel from BCM. Although I have a Vltor Imod, I also ordered a Magpul ACS-L after hearing stories about it pulling out facial hair. I am still without an upper and a bcg.

Not sure about a gas block either. Looking for recommendations. Is it worth going adjustable if I will never run a can?

#18 ·
I paid $325 for the lower (that includes my ffl fee), and $85 for the CMMG lpk..
Wow that was a good deal! I've had the Noveske gen 2 lower on back order for $250 since dec of 2012 but sad to say I will Prob never see it, at that price at least
I paid $180 for Gen2 billet chainsaw lower. Okay, that was last summer...which seems a world away. But I have a feeling the Gen1's will be under $200 soon enough. I just built on a Gen1 a couple weeks ago. Trying to get more. I'm 60 miles from their HQ, and they're tough to get ahold of.

#19 ·
sweeper22 said:
I paid $180 for Gen2 billet chainsaw lower. Okay, that was last summer...which seems a world away. But I have a feeling the Gen1's will be under $200 soon enough. I just built on a Gen1 a couple weeks ago. Trying to get more. I'm 60 miles from their HQ, and they're tough to get ahold of.
I could have bought a gen 2 lower for $225 back in oct of last yr but thought it was expensive then and boy do I regret it now! Hopefully ill get a good deal on one at some point

#20 · (Edited)
If you frequent this board often enough, you will notice a steady stream of members who will espouse the merits of a Daniel Defense complete rifle and builds through BCM and PSA. It's for good reason. We use them and own them, in some cases many times over. That's not to say that they're the only good chit out there, but they're awful tough to beat at their respective price points.

There are a lot of good companies out there. You can spend $600-$6000 on an AR15. I own several ARs at the moment. I believe in the quality of each of them. All of my guns are worth north of $1K, but cost way less than $2K. And that's where you will get the best 'tough as nails', eats any ammo, performs like a champ AR...in the $1000-1600 range. One is a (mostly) factory Daniel Defense, the rest are personal builds to my liking. All have at least some PSA kits/parts. All have some Magpul furniture. One has a PSA barreled upper, the rest have BCM barreled uppers. Most have BCM bolt carrier groups and charging handles. I'd also recommend the parts and DD barreled uppers from AIM Surplus (if you can buy one in the 9 seconds before they sell out and their server seizes) as well as JoeBobOutfitters. But both sell out quick.

I have now offered too many hints to building a truly great AR15 at a fair price, and must now go back into hiding.

#21 ·
sweeper22 said:
If you frequent this board often enough, you will notice a steady stream of members who will espouse the merits of a Daniel Defense complete rifle and builds through BCM and PSA. It's for good reason. We use them and own them, in some cases many times over. That's not to say that they're the only good chit out there, but they're awful tough to beat at their respective price points.

There are a lot of good companies out there. You can spend $600-$6000 on an AR15. I own several ARs at the moment. I believe in the quality of each of them. All of my guns are worth north of $1K, but cost way less than $2K. And that's where you will get the best 'tough as nails', eats any ammo, performs like a champ AR...in the $1000-1600 range. One is a (mostly) factory Daniel Defense, the rest are personal builds to my liking. All have at least some PSA kits/parts. All have some Magpul furniture. One has a PSA barreled upper, the rest have BCM barreled uppers. Most have BCM bolt carrier groups and charging handles. I'd also recommend the parts and DD barreled uppers from AIM Surplus (if you can buy one in the 9 seconds before they sell out and their server seizes) as well as JoeBobOutfitters. But both sell out quick.

I have now offered too many hints to building a truly great AR15 at a fair price, and must now go back into hiding.
I have a new BCM (my first bcm!) that is getting cerakoted right now. Its kind of a Jack clone but with my own personal preferences. Can't wait to get it in 1-2 weeks. Will post pics when I do. I've been wanting a bcm for some time now. Daniel defense is next! Lol

#22 ·
I could have bought a gen 2 lower for $225 back in oct of last yr but thought it was expensive then and boy do I regret it now! Hopefully ill get a good deal on one at some point
I will admit, I pretty much panic bought the lower. I seen it on GB, locked it up. I was planning a build, and sold off my other rifles to help fund the build. Then all this talk about the ban. I just didn't want to be without another AR. Imagine how stupid that would have been.

Now I am planning my second build while wait for parts to complete my first. LoL!

#24 ·
Wood Publication Table Font Hardwood

Eyewear Font Material property Auto part Rectangle

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Material property Revolver

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

Just doing a little mock up to test fit everything. My 16" barrel arrived from BCM today. Still awaiting on the the vltor upper, the BCG, and I am an still jot sure if I want the Noveske NSR or another rail cover. I am uncertain on which optic too, but leaning towards an aimpoint

Attachments

#25 ·
I have finally got back to working on my build. Between starting my own business, spending as much time with my terminally ill grandfather as I can, wedding season, and the recent loss of an employee. I put this on the back burner. I have just ordered most of the parts that I needed to complete the build. The only I have yet to order are sights, hand guard, and and gas block. The lower has been assembled.

Just figured that I would update, but I am sure that this thread has long been forgotten.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.