Building an AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by PlaysWithZombies, Mar 23, 2012.

1. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Hi everyone, i've finally decided to get myself an AR, i figured i'd buy a complete rifle and then upgrade a little at a time. I'd like to get either a mid or carbine length rifle but don't really know a good AR from a bad. Any advice on what make or model might be best for someone on a budget?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Palmetto State Armory sells a quality product at a good price.

The resisdent AR geeks endorse Daniel Defense, Bravo Company (BCM), Lewis Machine & Tool (LMT).

I have yet to encounter a dissatisfied Rock River Arms owner.

You are doing the right thing about asking before you buy.

NEVER go on a forum and ask folks what they think of an AR you have already purchased.

3. cakesterkiller

cakesterkiller New Member

i would recommend a DPMS if you're gonna buy a complete rifle i have had the AP4 for six years and over 10000 rounds through it without a malfunction of anykind. it is a solid carbine that I am confident packing into any situation i could encounter.

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Ynot link a particular make and model and ask for feeedback. Do your due diligence and research, look around.

5. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

6. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

7. jasonlarue1013

jasonlarue1013 New Member

I agree check it put..I'm trying to make it a habit to re-read it b4 I ask any questions. Good luck.

8. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Still waiting on Tikki to publish 'AR's for dummies'. It would be a success.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

:D

Thx fer the kind words! OP let me know what you think!

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

It really depends on what you want it for. There are definitely different levels of ARs and sometimes you'll see different quality ARs sell for similar prices. For that reason I agree that research is key.

On a budget Palmetto State is nice.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

As usual, please tell us what you plan to use the AR for and how much your budget is. I'll go along with PSA for a tight budget as for about the same price it will give you a better rifle than a bargain basement DPMS.

12. PlaysWithZombies

Thanks to everyone for responding, i appreciate the input. Primarily this is gonna be my SHTF rifle but it'll definitely get a good bit of range time so reliability is my biggest concern.
    I'd like to keep the tab under $1000 and don't have any problem assembling my own lower and just buying a complete upper. Like i said i just don't know what brands are good, and which to stay away from.

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

1k isn't necessarily a budget build. At that price I'd recommend BCM.

14. PlaysWithZombies

lol my bad, my budget originally included some decent optics but i just stumbled onto an EOTech 552 for pretty much nothing and forgot to recalculate. I'll definitely check out BCM though, they seem to be very popular in this forum

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Every forum really. One of the best in most aspects.

16. PlaysWithZombies

That definitely seems to be the case. I checked out their website a little but couldn't find prices on anything. Would it be better, cost vs. quality wise, to buy a complete rifle or just an upper and assemble my own lower? Opinions on this subject seem to be pretty well split down the middle.

17. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Building mine completely. I think a lot of it depends on your mechanical aptitude. The lower seems fairly basic, and I think the uppers...by the time people get ready to order it, they simply are so eager to shoot it makes more sense to just order the entire upper.
    I like to tinker, and really don't have any fear of doing the work (as well as there being a snotload of youtube videos out there showing step by step instructions, and we always have Tikki and the other AR gods on here to question.)

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I think a lot of home builds have corners cut. Things like properly torquing castle nuts barrel nuts and staking get skipped more than you might think. These things take time and tools. I personally would rather let the pros do it for me but I have done it myself so the cool factor has worn off. Everyone should do it at least once.

That said I would get a pre- assembled upper and do what you want w/ the lower.

19. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Good point. I have torque wrenches and an assembly of tools, being a former millwright. With this being my first, I feel I want to know it's nuts and bolts.

20. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Then by all means Mr. Cool tools guy :)