Building an AR 15???

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by wiley_32, Oct 19, 2011.

1. wiley_32

wiley_32 New Member

OK, I kinda jumped the gun on wanting to build an AR15 7.62x39 and after doin the research decided that the .223 would be a better fit as far as convenience ... I'm still looking at the 20 to 24" model 1 uppers... seems to be a good deal with the 24" barrel w/ bolt carrier group and std charging handle w/ standard A3 upper for $450... any opinions???

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Research is king. I'd keep the research ball rolling.

What were your reasons behind the 24" barrel?

3. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

24" barrels are great for getting the velocity up, only real use is for hitting a long range target just a lil harder. They really shine with the heavier bullets.

The 24" model "1" barrel is chromed lined, and will hurt accuracy, kinda defeats the point of a 24" barrel.

If u do not want a bull barrel but still want a 24" barrel, do like I did and try to find a bushmaster varminter barrel.

Bushmaster 24" Fluted, Non-Chrome Lined Barrel based on DCM Competition design - button rifled 1/9 twist. Features a hybrid SAAMI Spec chamber with longer throat or "Leade" to accommodate 5.56mm ammunition. It is 1" in diameter out to the gas block with an 11 degree competition muzzle crown
    PK Firearms | Online Store

[​IMG]

4. wiley_32

wiley_32 New Member

update on AR 15 build!

I think i'm going to chose the 20" barrel though haven't quit decided which one yet.. i've narrowed the choices down to Del-ton, YHM, Model 1 and Spikes... so still deciding... I have made progress on buying a lower receiver with parts.. Its a new company called Zombie-Defense(2009). I'll be using Magpul's stock, pistol grip and rail covers, as well as other accessories including ambi sling attatchment, sling and mags...I'll also be using full rifle FF quad rail by YHM... This build will take a while due to finances and slow delivery by zombie-defense(according to site 4-6week delivery), which is ok since i'll have to save up for the upper anyway...

5. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

I assume you know you won't be doing a lot of running around and shoulder firing with a 24" barrel...I've got a Colt with a 24" stainless and its long and heavy. It dwarfs my "built" AR. So Harris bipods and sandbags are your new friends. :) The major upside is shooting long. I can blow the balls off a beetle at great distances. Don't get me wrong ...I love my Colt, but I quickly realized I needed a zombie killer.

6. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

well said, i has the same issue, so i built two
    [​IMG]

the barrel in this pic i just sold to replace with the 24" varminter barrel, this stainless barrel was a whole pound heavier than the complete rifle at the bottom of the pic, yes just that barrel alone weight more than a whole rifle

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011