Building a gatling gun

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by droes, Apr 24, 2012.

1. droes

droes New Member

Hey I was wondering what the laws are on machining guns. I am thinking of building a Gatling gun. I have prints for it but I'm not really sure if it's legal. Do I need any special licenses or anything like that?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

its legal to build any gun you want except for full autos sbr destructive devices aow and suppressors (yes suppressors are considered firearms by the batfe without that classification they wouldnt be able to regulate them) without a license as long as you never sell it or give it to someone else. but its one of those grey areas that is best avoided.

gatling guns are legal so long as you dont use a motor of some sort. hand crank only

3. droes

droes New Member

Ok thanks for the info. I have started making a few of the parts. Have you heard or know of anyone building one?

4. kycol

kycol New Member

I built one. Wait oh no I thought you said a rattling gun. Lol

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If you do decide to build one, it would be great if you posted progress reports on here for us.
    Many of us would be interested.

7. droes

droes New Member

Here's my stand

Attached Files:

8. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

Looks good so far! You've got a LOT of parts to go, though.

A few years ago I thought of making a non-working scale model of a Gatling & did quite a bit of research. There are many different versions/revisions, with several old pictures and/or drawings of each, but very few parts drawings.

I did find one place that would sell actual blueprints. They also had kits & complete guns. I don't remember the site any more, but you might try searching for 'Gatling gun blueprints' or 'Gatling gun kits'. They were asking several $K for the complete guns, IIRC... :eek:

9. droes

droes New Member

I'm building the rgg gun. I made my own stand that I engineered. Here's the whole gun

Attached Files:

10. whitelightning

whitelightning New Member

That is awesome, nice work