Building a Custom Pistol

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by showtime393, Sep 21, 2011.

1. showtime393

showtime393 New Member

Hi all,
    Have been doing research on building a custom pistol. Just thought I would start a thread to get more info from you guys in the know.
    First of all, I have been mainly reading custom builds that I have found on google, But most of them are based around the 1911. This seems like a commonly used model and parts would be easier to get, But are you restricted to what caliber you can make? Like If I wanted to build a 22mag pistol (cheap ammo, easy to get), then would I be able to use the 1911 frame? After looking at the parts available it seems that most of them are .45cal. I understand anything can be done with enough work, but are there simple frames that are easily available and cost affective that can be used with such a 22mag calibre?

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

The 1911 platform does have a .22lr conversion kit tht is pretty common but im not sure if there is one in .22mag.. brownells is a good place to look for ideas

And welcome to the forum

3. showtime393

showtime393 New Member

Thanks, Yeah getting the info off brownwells isn't simple for a beginner though, How will I know what barrels work with what frame and so on.
    Is there a better model to start with?

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I don't believe the magazine well is deep enough to hold the long .22 mag shells. Take any 45 auto and pop out the mag and check if a 22 magnum would fit where the magazine came out.

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

The 2 common 1911 frame sizes are the government model 5" barrel and the commander which has a 4.25" barrel. Brownells has a conversion kit made by tactical solutions tht fits both govt and commander frames. #100-003-848DH

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Unless you have an experienced gunsmith or pistolsmith to assist you, I wouldn't recommend trying to build a custom 1911 if you are not totally familiar with them. Building a 1911 isn't like building LEGOS or AR-15s. There is a lot of handfitting, filing, polishing, mating, etc that goes into building a 1911.

My recommendation is buy a complete gun and then "customize" it to your liking. This will save a lot of headache....not to mention money!

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

very good advise. the 1911 platform is varied in it's offerings. you can build one from the ground up, a piece here, a piece there. buy one first, shoot it, get to know it well. then buy as many bboks as you can find on the 1911 platform and study them, then study them some more. find some who has a lot of experiance in building the 1911 and learn from them. then you might be ready to build one of your own. the 1911 is not for rookie gun builder, it's a fine pistol, but can be very finicky at times. i have owned several over the years, can field strip it, but if it needed serious attention, i will find a good gunsmith.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I've assembled a few in my time. I have a library area dedicated to the 1911. I have special tools for the 1911 that I needed for one during a build and never had to use it again.
    I agree with the above statements.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

thanks danf_fl. i always wanted to build my own 1911 from the ground up, but realized that there was a lot more to it than just buying a bunch of parts and putting together a gun. lot easier to just buy one the way you want and shoot it.

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

There you go. With almost all the major companies making countless varieties of 1911s, you're sure to find one that fits your needs and you'll be money ahead in the long run when compared to building from scratch.

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I own a High Standard 1911A1 GI .45acp, some people look down on it because its made in the phillipines.. Thts a huge mistake in my opinion.. Im not a newB to firearms and ive been in the professional capacity where ur firearm is your lifeline.. Ive shot about 300 rounds through mine without one single malfunction. It is "milspec" which is extremely important because a non milspec 1911 will not accept drop in part "or any part" for tht fact without alot of gunsmith fitting.. I have just recently had my HS customized with Ed Brown parts and everything went right in with no fitting "other than normal" it costs $400-$500 new and is very well made.i couldnt b more happy with it, i highly recommend it