Build questions?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by AznZOhAn, Dec 24, 2011.

1. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Friend wants to do his first 1911 build and he worried about prices. Approximately how much is build plus labor.

2. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

This is also his 1st 1911. I've never built one so I figure I would ask for guidance from experienced and wiser people than me. I advised him that it wouldn't be as expensive as he thinks.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have "slapped" together a couple of 1911's for less than $300 (not counting labor).

I have assembled some with over 40 hours of labor invested with over $1000 in parts.

The assembling of a 1911 can be inexpensive, if you get inexpensive or used parts.
    But if that special tool is required, or machining / fitting of parts is required, the price goes up.

And as a first time builder, I would recommend that the firearm be checked over by a competent gunsmith upon completion and before firing.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

IMHO you gave him incorrect advice :confused:
    By the time you buy 100% of the good parts needed you could have bought a good 1911 & had money left over for ammo :eek:

5. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Just pick up a nice used Rock Island(or other cheap 1911) and do what you want to it after you get to know about 1911's.

6. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

I agree with the above.
    I was given a complete slide assembly, and thought I would build the rest. Well my frame, I was able to buy at wholesale and it is an STI forged frame, still cost $300 with shipping. The parts kit is a Wilson Combat stainless, it cost $350 with shipping and is still back ordered. I have contacted a gunsmith about coating the frame and fitting the slide to the frame, and thats going to be another $300. So I will be into this build at least $950, probably more, and it is going to take months before it is complete.
    I would have been better off just buying a new one and selling the slide assembly I was given. But since I am so far into this now, I will trudge ahead and see how it turns out.