Build numma 2

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by kytowboater, Jan 13, 2014.

1. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Hiro.

Okay ladies and gents, I got the itch and decided to delay a pistol and build another AR15.

Thinking of keeping this one 5.56. Really digging on a spiral fluted barrel. However that's to be decided.

Barrel will be 1/8 16", no front sight post, mid length gas port. what's a good brand that won't break the bank, I.e. $250 and under? I saw some Wilson barrels that looked ok and were inexpensive. Also some Rainer Arms? I know the great names, just can't spend $300 and up on a barrel.

Also, looking for an upper parts build kit. Has all the hoo hoo ha ha I'll need, who and where is a good place to order those?

I picked up a yankee hill
    Stripped upper today, and walked away on two lowers, a Anderson and an AR FIFTEEN. Never heard of either.

Think I'll follow Tikki on getting an Alg? Trigger and a good lpk. I have a doublestar lpk in my other rifle and it's nice.

Also a question gents, is a delta ring needed for a free float hand guard? I have no idea how those go on!

Please feel free to add suggestions as long as they are feasible.

Sadly I go back to work tomorrow, but I should have some goodies awaiting my arrival at home!
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389669680.738538.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389669695.386853.jpg

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

No delta ring for a free float , some handguards will use the factory barrel nut some are proprietary . The anderson lowers are nice , never used a AR fifteen lower . Barrels , ??? Thays a choice you will habe to make based on your budget

3. kytowboater

Damnit man. Should got it. $99.

I think a budget on the barrel should be $150-$200 would it.

4. SkilletFan24

SkilletFan24 New Member

I bought an Anderson AR-15 lower for my build. It was $55 before shipping/ffl. Fit my ar fine. But there's a tiny little bit of wiggle, although that didn't start until my rifle decided to fall over and hit the ground.

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Psa sells the andersons for $49 .

Take a look here for barrels , they have some of the best prices here lately and free shipping over $99. Spend $200 and get a free t shirt , just make sure you put the t shirt in your cart or you wont get it

http://www.JoeBobOutfitters.com/Barrels_s/3005.htm

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  6. kytowboater

Thanks pure, I'll look at her. I got the upper for a steal! I hope, $80 out the door.

Anderson's are ky made too.

7. kytowboater

Spikes are decent lowers are they not? Saw another RRA lower, that's on my first build. Asking price was $325 IIRC.

Oh yes. I must get.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389675138.497708.jpg

8. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

Tow boat, Check out my thread on Red X fluted Stainless barrel from Brownells $160. Anderson is GTG and the PSA lowers are excellent and priced right especially if you get a blem which I have yet to find any irregularities in them.

9. kytowboater

Pew, pew pew pew. That's awesome. lol.

I actually read your thread and looked at them. Let me know how you like it. I'll be out for at least a month, so I'll have a little time to order se stuff.

10. kytowboater

Maybe I'm looking wrong, does Red X have a 16" middy barrel?

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

When it comes to statistics, that's the ideal setup in my opinion. A 1:8 twist 16" barrel with midlength gas is sort of the perfect storm of top end schematics that will perform like a champ and shoot almost every bullet really well. Versatile length, ideal gas system, perfect twist rate. The remaining issue is of course the quality of the barrel.

To have (or not) a front sight post is simply a matter of your own personal needs and tastes. Much of this decision will be determined by the direction of your optics and handguard. I like front sight posts because they tend to be simple, durable, and true. But a low-profile gas block makes perfect sense with magnified optics or even a red dot (add MBUS F/R with the RDS for maximum versatility) if it's set up with a handguard that will benefit you.

12. kytowboater

I have a 16 inch barrel carbine length of the front side post already I do want 1/8
    Middy on this build. I like the look of no front sight post. Flip up irons and an optic are the plan.

Still searching for a barrel. It'll be a few weeks before I can order one anyway.

13. kytowboater

You have reenforced all my reasons for that upper build.

14. kytowboater

I tried to order a lower from PSA and screwed it up lol. Soooo waiting for the funds to get back into my gun account. Then will be ordering a spikes "calico jack" lower. Those are mil spec right?

Anyone done any business with DOA arms?

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Yes spikes are mil spec , never even heard of DOA arms

16. kytowboater

17. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  18. kytowboater

I've been looking hard at that company. Thank you sir!

19. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

They also make an 18" if you want to stretch your range out a little, without a full rifle length. DMR carbine anyone! ;)