Bugs, bugs, & more frigging bugs!

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Scratchammo, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

The one thing that makes the woods unbearable is all the bugs. I can't stand walking into the wilderness & walk out bitten all over. I tried some soap that seems to be working pretty well. I ordered this: Natural citronella & marigold soap handmade by Herbaria
    I'm laying on a cot under the stars at the moment & the only things keeping me awake are the dadgum cows.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Actually, besides the cows keeping you awake, it sounds wonderful.

3. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

My grandfather would use straight oil of citronella when we were kids. Worked like a charm and still does.

4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

ThermaCell's work great!:cool:

5. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

Garlic, you could just smell bad after about three days I don't even notice the bugs. Try using oder killing detergent and sprays, when I go hunting I use it and the bugs pretty much leave me alone except for spider webs.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Anybody else use that citronella/marigold soap? Anything but DEET would be great!

7. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

This soap doesn't have DEET, if it did I'd have a melted rifle stock :rolleyes:
    The bar has lasted me for almost two weeks & is only half gone! I've been using this soap for my face & buzzed hair as well. I get the occasional bug buzzing by but they don't stick around long. I also got a sample bar with it, it's called "Tea Tree Green Tea". I haven't used it yet. I will warn you that you will smell like citronella but I haven't had any complaints. I like Dove & Head & Shoulders but so does every flying insect in the woods. I'm about to order more. I'll keep some in my saddlebag under my Hennessy Hammock.

8. Jeff_F

Jeff_F New Member

Vanilla extract works well to keep the mosquito's and no see ems at bay. Splash it on like aftershave.

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

but then you smell like cookies...never know what you'll attract...:eek:

[​IMG]

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yeah. I'm thinking I'm not gonna try that. :rolleyes: