Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Jpohl, Dec 30, 2012.
What's a good starting point for a bug out bag? What's in yours?
OTR Truck driver here so I live in a bug out situation 90% of the time. Contents of truck:
3 guns (22lr, 45acp and 556 nato)
2 weeks food supply
water for 1 week
toiletrys and medicines
2 weeks clothing
Hunting hatchet/ knife combo
Keep the tanks full and I'm mobile and self sufficent....
Google "bug out bags" and you will find a lot of info including quite a few lists of what people think you should have in a BOB.
Say what you will about Recoil magazine, but the latest issue has a really good bug out bag section this month.
Think about the things you cannot live without very long, Water, food, whats it take to get safe, clean water to drink ? Whats it going to take to get food later ? what are you going to use for shelter if you have to bug out ? how are you going to keep dry? start a fire? spare clothes if you need them, first aid supplies ? Do you take medicines / daily pills ? . There a million things you could put in the BOB but keep it simple , keep it basic,
Alot of people slam Recoil Mag for their recent BS adjenda but I do like it . There are some good articles , its a nice mag, it is expensive but usually full of info worth the $8 . Always a target in the back that we do put to use
Bug out bag
I put one together as my exchange gift input for Christmas this year... BOTH my brothers wanted it, but ultimately it went to my Stepfather (after being snarfed twice, then retired & off limits to all). I bought an Everest brand backpack and loaded it with the following;
- ONE TUBE TENT SHELTER
- FOUR MYLAR REFLECTIVE EMERGENCY BLANKETS & FOUR HAND WARMERS
- ONE 100 PIECE FIRST AID KIT
- ONE 9 BULB LED MINI FLASHLIGHT
- ONE 10 BULB LED HEADLAMP
- EXTRA AAA BATTERIES
- ONE FOLDING CAMP STOVE W/ 24 FUEL TABS
- POCKET KNIFE AND FOLDING MULTI-TOOL SET
- ONE CAMP TOOL (SHOVEL/AXE/SAW)
- TWO EMERGENCY RATION MRE BARS (24OO TOTAL CALORIES EA)
- SIX 4oz EMERGENCY WATER POUCHES
- ONE 32oz WATER BOTTLE
- ONE FRONTIER STRAW WATER FILTER (GOOD FOR 20 GALLONS)
- THREE PAIRS OF WORK GLOVES (SM, MED, LG)
- ELECTRICAL & DUCT TAPE ONE ROLL EACH
- TEN FACE MASKS
- FIVE GLOW STICKS/BRACKLETS
- ONE CANTEEN CUP W/ EATING MULTI-TOOL
- PERSONALS KIT CONTAINING; VASALINE, HAND SANITIZER, 4 WISPS TEETH CLEANERS, TISSUES. WET WIPES, INSECT REPELLENT & SUNSCREEN, INSECT BITE STICK
- 50 FEET OF REFLECTIVE POLYCORD
- WIRE SAW/SNARE
- MULTI-TOOL WHISTLE, THERMOMETER, COMPASS, SIGNAL REFLECTOR, MAGNIFYER & LIGHT
- HAND WIND-UP CHARGER W/ ADAPTOR SET CELL PHONES, PDA’S, GPS’S
- SEWING KIT
- WATERPROOF MATCHES W/ MAGNESIUM FIRE STARTER
Oh and if you're wondering about the "exchange gift" Christmas rules (also known as a "Yankee Swap"... but being in the South we don't use that term); http://mullenclan.com/misc/YankeeSwapRules.htm
P.S. - Had to add, most of my bug out supplies come from either surplus or : http://beprepared.com/Default.asp? .... Had to share that site w/ you all!! Stay safe & Happy 2013!!!
For more info on bobs, check out the survival and sustenance living section in the forum. A few threads already started there