Bug Out Bags

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Mosin, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

If this has been covered, then my apologies, I didn't see a topic on this.

I know the issue of what to put in a bug out bag has been beaten like a dead horse. But what about the bag itself? Anyone have a specific bag they like? I'm in the market for a bag, I'd like it to hold some ammo, mags, and a decent amount of bug out gear. Because of my current situation, I have two backpacks, but it's cumbersome. I'd like to find a nice bag that can consolidate the stuff I have.

2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Putting this on my topics list.

I'm in the market for an internal frame pack for my son and myself. He is a scout and we're going to need good packs. I don't see why they couldn't also double as BOB bags. I need direction on size for comfortable carry and cost.

3. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Same situation I've Ben looking for a good bag myself

4. 01hugo

01hugo New Member

I'd look into maxpedition bags. It's some seriously rugged and tough gear. I have the pygmy falcon and love it. It is a little small, but it forces me to pack light and do away with things that aren't as important as others.

5. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I ordered two from amazon. Cuscus 75+10 liter for my wife and an 88 liter for myself. We will use them for our 3 week Alaska trip then bob. Both shipped for under 100.00 total. Look of decent quality. A bunch of reviews on them. Very satisfied to this point.

6. bkt

bkt New Member

Mine is similar to this one: http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-rush-12-backpack.html

Attached to the main bag is a small med kit: http://www.lapolicegear.com/mafrpo.html

I have a separate defense bag (range bag).

A bug-out bag or get-home bag is not really something I'd think would carry ammo or firearms, but to each their own.

Be sure to test whatever you end up putting together some weekend in the middle of nowhere. If you're like me, you will remove a lot and add a few things you didn't think of. :)

7. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Thank you for the heads up. Where I live now, I live out in the sticks...like way out. If I bugged out, It'd be with a good rifle and pistol, and deep into the woods (this is of course should I have to abandon home). That's why I have the need for ammo storage. I walk 200 yards into my backyard, and I'm in the middle of nowhere.

8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Im using the same one as these guys...
    Its big, and I like the fact that I can attach my rifle to the side of the pack.. Despite the old design, the pack does balance and distribute the weight very well, even with the rifle attached..

[​IMG]

9. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Do you know what it's called

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I have an old USMC combat pack from the mid 90's. I like it bc its big enough i can get the essentials in it and yet i can still detach the the frame from it and use the frame. I have added some stuff like little pockets and nylon elastic bands for say a rifle. It also has a place where i can hook my quiver on it and hang my bow on the ther side from the quiver. All total wo a gun/bow on it it weighs bout 45 pounds. Its the one i usually use when hunting out west. I paid i think $30 for it at surplus city.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

11. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I definitely won't something I can put my bow or another gun on I'll look around and see if I can find one

12. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

And if your hunting with it I take it its camo or od green something like that

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

OD green w strips of camo burlap sewed onto it. I made my bow hooks and my rifle loops. My quiver i used leather sewn onto the side of the pack w heavy grade industrial magnets inside the leather strips. Then i have two sets of rawhide tether to tie around the quiver shaft

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

14. chewchew

chewchew New Member

See if the Army surplus has any old Vietnam Alicepacks.

15. md1911

md1911 New Member

My bag I use it for camping hicking and its my BOB always loaded and in the truck

ForumRunner_20120319_142107.jpg

16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

There called US Army Mountain Packs... They were used during WWII through Vietnam, when they were replaced by the ALICE packs..

17. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I have a Red Rock pack. Very well made and not much money. They make several different sizes.

18. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Two things I've been thinking about regarding the pack itself is what it look likes and what I need to limit the weight to (which determines the size).

1. I think looks are important because we make judgments about others based on looks, but I'm not really sure what look a BOB should have? I don't want a tactical bag because it says militant to nice people and supplies to bad ones. I'm starting to think the shopping cart and homeless look is the way to go? :D I might be making too much out of this but I really do think the look of the pack is important (first impressions and all that). What type of person would you want to come across while bugging out?

2. Size really does matter. Too big and I'm going to try and carry too much stuff. I know with a large load I'm going to travel slow (with a lot of breaks) and burn way too many calories. I want a smaller pack just so I have to limit my load.

Right now I've got a patrol pack and fanny pack. It works well for lighter loads which I like but I'm rethinking it.

19. frankp0575

frankp0575 New Member

20. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Get one that looks buggy or baggy lol jk. But I do se your point. A shopping cart might be to hard to get some places tho. And in my case it would look kind of strange. (Hey Tom is that a hoe bow with an tactical ar15? Take a pick you don't see that everyday.) I guess I could throw something over my guns. And it would help with the wait problem. D*** now you got me thanking.