Bug out bag gear

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by fin24000, Jul 15, 2008.

1. fin24000

fin24000 New Member

Well I know most of the posters hear have a bog out bag and I was wondering what you pack (basics) and how big? Mine is left part way packed with some food and stuff but main items would be packed on the fly..... You?

2. bkt

bkt New Member

See this thread for some ideas. This comes up every now and then.

3. laynejc

laynejc New Member

a few zip ties, and a 2 way radio.

4. bkt

bkt New Member

Zip ties are an excellent idea, thanks. I'll add some to my BoB.

Regarding 2-way radios...what do you guys recommend? We have some inexpensive Motorola walkie-walkie type things that are good line-of-sight to maybe a couple miles. But in the woods or hilly areas, the range stinks. What's out there that has a decent range?

5. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

When it's my wife's special time of the month and I need to bug out, I usually grab a fishing pole, my tackle box and a case of beer. Anything more than that just slows me down.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You know, I would be curious to see what guys are using as well. Any of the serious comms that I have seen are REALLY expensive, not to mention they are pretty bulky. We bought probably the same ones you have bkt - the Motorola with the rubber "armor" and semi weather resistant models....

Anyone have a good, multiple obstruction not a problem, 2 way radio that doesn't rely on cellular towers and isn't a sat service?

Thanks,

JD

7. matt g

What good are radios? Anything that would break your small party up would probably preclude the use of radios. Anything available on the civilian market is easily intercepted and jammed by military SIGINT goodies. Any other situation, like hunting, could be easily handled by whistling back and forth.

Zip ties on the other hand are the duct tape of the 21st century.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That's an interesting point. However better to have one and not need it then to need it and, well, you know....

JD

9. matt g

Like I alluded to in my first post, extra weight just slows you down. A few FRS radios in a small bag is room that could be used for medicine, food, water or ammunition. All of those are far more important than some cheesy little radios.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

While true & accurate points - I am not convinced that NOT having a radio is the best possible option, for me personally.

But, I also wouldn't mind having a spectrum analyzer of my very own, so to each his own list of toys. :D

JD

11. bkt

bkt New Member

Radios can be useful for meeting up to form a group.

12. matt g

I'm interested to find what you'd do with a spectrum analyzer whilst on the run.

If you just want one for kicks, PM me. My brother might still have all kinds of hookups with HP equipment.

Is there a group in your area that has already coordinated what to do in a SHTF sort of deal? Do you really want the extra baggage in a survival situation?

Think about it, if it is something that is bad enough to cause you to flee your home, rather than shelter in place, do you really want to let other keep tabs on you? Do you really want to be tied to a larger group that is more mouths to feed, that are inevitably less prepared than you? Do you really want to become the welfare program?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I never said I wanted it for my BOB, I just said I would like to have one. There is a lot of neat things I have learned to be able to do with my old 8591C, and a couple of models for "other" purpose builds, like a waveform monitor and O-Scope. :D

It's not real high on my list, it would just be nice to have at times when I am working on stuff. More of a crutch than anything else... LOL

You bring up an interesting point about the welfare program though. Always good to have other input...

JD

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  14. matt g

Check edited message...

15. bkt

bkt New Member

My intent is to use radios to meet up with others should other forms of communication get disrupted. They're all within 10 miles, but that's an awful long way for an inexpensive hand-held radio not taking advantage of a repeater.

16. matt g

I could see using mobile HAM bases with field expedient antennae, but those little walkie-talkies aren't of much use. They have a really limited range once you get out in the woods. Even most of the higher end Motorola commercial and government band walkie-talkies are useless without multiple repeater stations.

Just for kicks, I may do a write up on jungle antennas and field expedient directional antennas.

17. DuckA

DuckA New Member

Trust me when I tell you that you don't want a lot of range on those things. I was on a interceptor/ jammer team and some of the best intel we got during training was from using our Motorola radios as intercept devices. The best part was that it was all in the clear.

18. matt g

What unit were you with? I spent 3 years with B/313 MI.

19. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

Bug-out Bag or " Go bag " Contents List :
    Sealed water packs
    Large collapsable water container
    Nalgene bottle of water
    Water purification chemicals and filtration device
    MREs
    Freeze Dried Food packs
    Nutrition Bars, candy bars
    2 Contractor Grade Trash Bags
    Fleece Jacket or Shirt, sun hat, Long underwear
    Emergency rain poncho
    Space Blanket
    Leatherman Tool or Victorinox Swiss Army Knife
    Tanto, Bowie or other Defensive knife
    Gun
    Tiny FM Radio from Dollar Store and batteries
    Photon Micro Light Flashlight
    First Aid Kit
    Batteries ( spare )
    Cell Phone Charger or Crank Radio with Cell Phone charger
    FRS Radios and batteries
    Weather Radio and batteries
    Coins and cash
    Special Medicines, copies of eyeglass prescription and others
    Phone list
    Inventory list of contents
    Parachute cord or dental floss, wire ties, sewing kit, bungee cord
    Chemical hand warmers
    Aluminum foil for cooking and bowl making
    Titanium camping cook pot or canteen cup
    Tea bags / Boulion cubes
    Matches in Zip-lock bag, tinder, Trioxane tab, Sterno, Piece of Rubber Inner Tube
    Pencil and paper in small Zip-Loc bag .
    Hand sanitizer
    Disposable sun glasses from eye exam
    map
    spare underwear and socks if you have room

In separate bag you can abandon or cashe if necessary :
    Sleeping bag and mattress pad
    Toiletries
    Sturdy Boots
    Winter coat
    Head Light and Batteries

Two people could share the load and supplies. Visit www.Nitropak.com and other survival suppliers for more info .

20. DuckA

DuckA New Member

D Co 104th MI Bn at Fort Hood.