Bug-out .22

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Tyrsgodi, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Tyrsgodi

Tyrsgodi Member

I have a pocket belt, with survival essentials like fish hooks, line, nails, mylar blanket, etc. Also, a ziplock baggy with 150 .22 LR cartridges. I used to keep a small Auto Nine Sherry in the belt, but want to replace it with a revolver. More than a NAA mini, but less than a Ruger. Any suggestions?

2. jozimoto

jozimoto New Member

Heritage 22LR/22Mag 3.5 inch barrel and birds head grip.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Ruger Bearcat

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The LCR and the SP101 are now available in 22lr.
    http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5410.html
    http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5765.html
    Taurus makes several 22lr DA revolvers.
    http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=387&category=Revolver
    Charter Arms makes a small 22lr revolver.
    http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Pathfinder_72224.asp
    S&W used to make a nice little Kit Gun called the model 34. You would have to find one used and check it carefully.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  5. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Smith & wesson 317 kit gun

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

+1 Probably the best.

7. Tyrsgodi

Tyrsgodi Member

Small .22

Thanks, guys. Since I already have Charters in .44 and .38, I lean that way, and the Heritage sounds good. Since it may never get used, except for annual maintenance, I'll go that way. Unless I trip over the Smith, of course!

8. jsr5

jsr5 New Member

Well you pretty well killed my suggestions right there at the end. Is there a budget in mind? perhaps the ruger sr22 or the look alike walther can't remember model lil ish 22. Some of the Bigger NAA's have 4 inch barrels and are still small so I wouldn't discount em I like my Beretta 21 but it really isn't hunting accurate so thats out. There were some Berettas with a bit longer barrels that are no longer in production but you see em on the auction sights. Some of them were match accurate and had sights that could use the accuracy. thers the HP 22 you can get it in a kit with a 5 inch barrel and a 3 (i think) barrel for em heard they are actually pretty good stuff. Can't hardly beat the AIRWEIGHT S&W for lightness feels like a toy but the light weight can affect accuracy negatively. there are some ideas for you to check at least

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

How about something like this ?.............

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a NAA revolver that shoots both 22lr and 22mag. If it was all I had, I could probably shoot a squirrel it at pretty close range. But only with 22lr. 22mag is a serious handful. It is only for up close and personal on a man sized target. I also have a Heritage Rough Rider and a Ruger 22/45. Of the three I would choose the Rough Rider. The Ruger is a great pistol. But I would not want to have to maintain it in the field. Ruger revolvers are awesome guns. But all of mine are center fire calibers. So I can't speak to that personally.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Keep in mind the Heritage is a heavy gun at 33+ oz according to their specs. The Charter Arms Pathfinder weighs 19 oz. The LCR weighs 15 oz.

12. Tyrsgodi

Tyrsgodi Member

H&R

I like and trust H&R, or NEF. Got a 686 with an 8" barrel years ago. A small one in a ziplock with desiccant could fit the belt, too! Thanks! Looks like Uberti makes a single action twelve-shooter that looks good, too.