bug in food

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by CaseyChadwell, Oct 4, 2013.

1. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I started this thread once but I can't find it so I'm assuming my phone is junk. I'll try again. I work at a plant that makes peanut butter and I can get it free. How good is peanut butter at keeping someone alive. I can get several large jars a week, so s he nutritional value decent?

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

peanut butter has lots of vitamins, and minerals in it, and seems to last forever. In a crisis, you could always barter it for something else. I'd stock up on it for sure if you get it free.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Concentrated source of energy (fats) as well as proteins. Shelf life about a year beyond that "best used by" date. Eating nothing but PB will play hell with your potty habits.

Also look for recipes that use PB as an ingredient.

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blpbutter.htm

4. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Food Value.................

A lot of the charitys today are sending mass amounts of peanut butter to third world countries. It seems to work faster on starving children at puting on weight. If you can't stomach rancid peanut butter you can allways use it for bait...............:)

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You can significantly extend the actual shelf life by storing it in a very dark, cool, dry place (like a root cellar). If you are getting fresh and newly produced PB (rather than stuff that expired so they can't sell it) I would take as much as they would allow. Keep storing it up as you get it and then as the exp. dates come up you can sell it at the flea market, thereby rotating the stock and turning it into cash (or trading it for something else you need).

I had a significant number of long expired MREs that I sold for $5- $10 each with the buyer fully aware of the exp. date.

6. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I think I will start stocking up. Thanks for all the advice and information fellas.

7. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

PB will last a very long time if properly stored. years even.
    it has so much calories and protein I have already made it part of my preps. :)

8. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Say what...................

You can allways have it nuked, and it will never go bad. They did this to milk and it didn't even need refridgeration..............:eek:;)

9. havasu

havasu Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I haven't verified this, but I was told to store peanut butter upside down to give it even a longer shelf life. Can anyone confirm this for me?

10. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Know How.....................

Save your nuts in vacume packed bags, then make your own as needed. The same as Mynaise made with eggs..........My little brother was nick named peanut butter, seems all he ever et was the stuff straight out of the jar cause he didn't like cajun cooking.............He changed his mind once he went on his own and found out that peanut butter and bread was just enough to keep you alive.............:eek:

11. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

At my plant we put nitrogen in the jar when the lid is put on...that keeps the butter fresher longer. So if any of you want your peanut butter to last longer, buy Algood peanut butter :).

12. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Lol...

Nothing last forever, except the atom................Can you say reborn. You will be food for the next generation...........The water the Dinosars drank millions of years ago is the same water you drink today........lol.........filtered down...........:eek:;)

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Havasu- left for a VERY long time, oil rises to the top. Inverting helps defeat that. Really, just mix any standing oil back in to the PB.

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

This is true of any food- Argon is an inert gas and bottling/canning using it to remove oxygen from the contents will extend its shelf life significantly. When racking and bottling wine I have used argon as well and the vintner says it is to reduce oxygenation.

15. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Fact, supposedly: all the peanut butter Americans eat annually would fill the grand canyon. Jelly would overfill it, and bread, ahh nevermind.

16. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Then again... there's always someone with a peanut butter allergy.

Man does not live by bread alone... I'm good. :)

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Think positively. people with peanut allergies will die, thereby eliminating them from those depleting your resources in SHTF!:D

18. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

You guys are forgetting the most important thing.... Peanut Butter works as bait for like 99.9% of things on the planet, from ants to bears, throw some PB in front of that claymore and eat what shows up.

19. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I would hope for the bear more than the ant. :p