Buffer, Tube and Stock?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by monteros, Dec 13, 2012.

1. monteros

monteros New Member

Hey folks,

My build is progressing, and I am getting ready to purchase my buffer, buffer tube and stock. I have read a bunch, watched a bunch etc, and basically from what I have seen, the jury is still out on "if" one needs to get a mil-spec tube and buffer... I am inclined to just get it to have the peace of mind regarding quality etc.

That being said, I am open to your thoughts and opinions.

What I am looking for are recommendations for me to either research or buy for the tail end of this lower build.

Keep in mind, it's my first build, the intended uses for this rifle are as follows:
    1. SHTF & Home Defense
    2. Plinking and Range time with the family and friends
    3. Tactical training and our course work
    4. maybe more? ... hehe

Thank you as always for any thoughts and pointers! This is clearly part of my advancing severe case of BRD... just say'in.

2. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

I just researched to the point of analysis paralysis and finally ordered from Bravo Company. I think others will back me up here that going with Bravo Company will guarantee you the very best in quality, fast shipping and standard pricing (hey two out of three ain't bad). Without looking it up, I think your looking at about $130 for a complete kit with a CTR stock with shipping, price may go up depending on buffer weight. You could shop around and save $10 and possibly get lower quality or much slower shipping, I vote for top rate quality and getting it this year for the extra $10, but it's your call.

3. monteros

monteros New Member

I hear yah. Totally understand the "analysis paralysis" amen to that. I also am on board with the pay a bit more for faster better :) What buffer weight did you go with?

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Go milspec. Commercial is the same price and inherently weaker. Its a win win, no downside.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

There's a local guy selling a complete A2 butt stock set up for 50 bucks, CMMG. I will hook you up if you want. At cost plus shipping. Stock, buffer, spring, tube.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The jury isn't out, in fact it came in long ago, sometime around 1995, with a unanimous decision for the milspec receiver extension. The commercial versions crawled out of the sewer after that and we've been trying to swat them down like cockroaches ever since. There is absolutely no reason to buy the commercial diameter when the milspec version is stronger, more compatible and roughly the same price. PSA has a kit on sale for $80 with the stock, tube/end plate/castle nut, buffer, spring and LPK though it's out of stock at the moment. BCM has a fine M4 receiver extension kit too.

I'd recommend the H buffer if you can upgrade.

8. X-mark

X-mark New Member

Go mil-spec. My first recommendation for receiver extensions is LMT for the simple fact that they are the only ones with a "cutout" that better retains the buffer retainer pin over all other receiver extensions. For second choice, take your pick from everyone else...BCM, DD, Vltor, Spike's, etc.

9. monteros

monteros New Member

I'm on board with mil-spec. I would never mount anything to this weapon system that "craweled out of the sewer." :) hehe, well Said Quentin. Going to do some more reading, want to understand the H buffer and I know I have seen H2, H2. This is what I love about building my AR, even when I thought I was totally ready to finish this thing off, I realize there is more and more and more roflmao. Good stuff though.

10. monteros

monteros New Member

Ok, I like the sound of the LMT, then I read this...

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=577090

I was trying to find pictures of the LMT to understand what you were refering to. Looks nice, but basically the below article talks about problems with the mil-spec buffers needing filing to make them work properly. I am sure this could be caused by many things, one potential cause could be the lower, he said it was a Rock River Lower, which if I recall when I bought mine, it had good reviews but isn't mil-spec... anyway, now its got me wondering if I am going to run into this exact issue roflmao. Doesn't look like it's hard to fix should I.

Question about the above article for those that might have time to scan it: is this a common issue? How often does something like this occur? From the build reads and video builds I have watched etc, the first tube looks like it was fine - everything I have seen basicaly indicates that all you want is the turn that just barely covers the retention detent. I thought it didn't take much to hold that dentent and spring down.

Thanks in advance, fun fun fun :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

In my experience it's not a common issue to get a buffer tube that doesn't fit, though no doubt the cheaper you go, the more likely to find a sewer rat. I've used two each of BCM and PSA with no problem. The LMT should be fine too. I've helped buddies with DTI and Bushamster commercials and they fit as well though I could never recommend them.

The guy that had trouble with the upper to lower receiver extension contact may have screwed it in one too many turns.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  12. monteros

monteros New Member

Decided to do some research tonight on buffers, what, why etc on them. Found this video:

[ame]http://youtu.be/pRn68HwZf34[/ame]

Found it while reading this article:

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2010/07/28/ar15function/

Really awesome, connected the dots on why it can make a big difference over the life of the weapon system :)

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Bolt bounce is more of an issue with full auto weapons.

Just ask the guys with race guns running lw bcgs and buffers.

14. monteros

monteros New Member

Possible Parts List

So, I am planning my buffer and tail end buy for my build, and here is what I am thinking. Would you mind having a look and giving me your thoughts?

Thanks!

Buffer Spring:
    Spike's Mil-Spec 17-7 Buffer Spring
    Cost: $9.95
    http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-parts-spikes-milspec-177-buffer-spring-p-414.html

This is the same high quality carbine buffer spring that’s found in our complete rifles, complete lowers, and in our various stock kits that we have on the site. It’s a Mil-Spec 17-7 stainless steel buffer spring that features an electro polish finish to give it a smoother quality look and feel. If you need a replacement buffer spring or just need one to finish a build, look no further. Get one today!

------

Buffer:
    Lower Parts - Spike's ST-T2 Heavy Buffer
    Cost: $32.95
    http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-parts-spikes-stt2-heavy-buffer-p-201.html

Each ST-T2 buffer is filled with HDTP which is short for "High Density Tungsten Powder" and topped off with a Mil-Spec bumper.

------

Castle Nut:
    Lower Parts - Mil-Spec Castle Nut
    Cost: $6.95
    http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-parts-milspec-castle-nut-p-412.html

The Spike’s Tactical Mil-Spec Castle Nut is machined from high carbon Chromoly steel for extra strength, it’s properly heat treated, and topped off with a Mil-Spec phosphate finish for durability. Our Castle Nut has been machined so that the notches are cut to accept a properly staked latch plate to make sure it doesn’t work its way loose under fire.

------

Buffer Tube: (Note: was looking at LMT, but couldn't locate sites with inventory)
    BCM Milspec Receiver Extension (Buffer Tube) 6 Position
    Cost: $36.95
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Mils...fer-Tube-p/bcm milspec receiver extension.htm

For your AR15, M16, M4. Carbine receiver extension (buffer tube) machined from 7075T6 and manufactured to Mil-Spec dimensions and specifications. Mil-Spec receiver extentions have a slightly smaller dimension where the stock slides on. Hard Coat Anodized per Mil-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2

------

Latch Plate:
    Receiver Latch Plate
    Cost: $3.95
    http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-parts-milspec-receiver-latch-plate-p-413.html

The Spike’s Tactical Mil-Spec Latch Plate is cut to the proper thickness from high carbon Chromoly steel for extra strength and to allow proper staking of the latch plate to keep the castle nut from working its way loose while under fire. Our Mil-Spec Latch Plate is also properly heat treated and is finished off with a Mil-Spec phosphate finish for durability.

--------------------------
    TOTAL COST: $90.75

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'd skip Spikes, and go all BCM for about the same money. With the H buffer ($12 upgrade over standard weight) the price is about the same as what you listed plus you get an M4 stock to put in your parts box. I'm not a fan of Spikes powder weight buffer and buying from two places will double the shipping costs.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/M4-Stock-Milspec-p/stock m4 milspec black - gen2.htm

Or see if PSA has their kits in stock. I like theirs too and you'll save money.

16. monteros

monteros New Member

Good stuff man, Thanks Quentin! I was thinking of going with the auto BCG and 16" Barrel, would you go with H2 knowing that? I am doing some more research atm, and looks like what Im finding is the "H" should be great... So much info out there roflmao. Going back to my original question, I haven't found info regarding full auto BCG. Back to reading...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Which upper are you going with? I suggested H since I assumed 16" midlength. H2 probably would work with 16" mid and certainly would with carbine length gas.

And of course it depends on the loads you're normally going to use. Light loads might be trouble with 16" mid and H2.

18. monteros

monteros New Member

Well, I am going to scratch build it, and right now planning 16", lower profile gas block. I haven't settled on who's stripped upper yet or barrel... by the way, thanks man. And thanks everyone, I really appreciate the time you take answering questions.

19. monteros

monteros New Member

I updated my build doc with the buffer and tail end of my AR lower. I ended up taking your advice Quentin, I picked a bunch of BCM parts. I am still going to piece it out as I can afford to buy etc, will be fun :)

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Hard to go wrong with BCM! High quality and excellent customer service. The problem lately is finding what you want in stock.