Buffer spring making noise

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by capnklump, Jan 14, 2014.

1. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Today I had my Colt 6920 socom at the range and every time I fired I could hear the buffer spring making a "boing" noise as it cycled back & forth. Is this normal? I tend to think its not, since none of my other AR's make that sound. I think it could benefit from a little grease on the buffer spring, what do you guys think. Maybe some shooters with a little more experience could chime in? Thanks

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk HD

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

They all do that to some degree. Its totally normal. Its one of the things I love best about it as it makes a very distinctive sound when firing at the enemy...

Some stocks transmit the sound better than others. Spend anytime with an a2 rifle stock and you can tell by the sound and feel if the gun is running right. I like the feedback as its an instant cue if something is wrong.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

3. vincent

vincent New Member

Your Colt goes boing when you shoot it??

I go boing when I shoot my Colt!! ;)

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

It's also instant feedback for when you fire that last round.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree it is normal. You can add a bit of lube to the spring, but be careful you do not over do it as any lube will attract dust/grit/fouling. Take a shotgun swab to the tube when you clean the gun, wipe down the spring and reapply the lube

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

With my limited ar knowledge I think I can say changing bolts from the lighter bolts to a m16 both slows the cycle speed a little and changes the spring sound. Changing to a lighter or heavier buffers will take that one step farther , maybe to the point its not noticeable to most

7. capnklump

capnklump New Member

I already have an M-16 BCG in there. The spring & buffer are standard from Colt. And the buffer tube is only 4 position adjustable. I'm considering upgrading it to Spikes Tactical buffer & spring (I have very good experience with that one in my 1st build.) And I'll get a Magpul STR stock for it.

8. string1946

string1946 New Member

I always hang the action spring up and give it a good spray of lithium grease and that seems to dampen the boing some. Before I put together my 1st lower I read the book "The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee and they said "If you liberally grease (using Tetra Grease or a similar modern hi-tech, hi-temp grease) the buffer spring before you insert it, you will greatly reduce the boing sound caused by the buffer spring on cycling.)

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

9. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

A spikes T2 buffer(or PWS T2) eliminated the sound in my buffer tube. Previously my rifle had a Carbine buffer and the sound was very noticeable. YMMV.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It is curious to the Stoner System. It is like that "Twang" when an M-1 Garand throws away it's empty clip. It is a good thin:)g.

11. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

I like the noise my buffer spring makes. I also like the ideal of feeling the parts working an sliding back an forward.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Vulcan/Hesse tends to boing a lot just before they self destruct! :D

13. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Just got home from the range. I took the buffer & spring out to inspect it & it was indeed bone dry, so I fed it some lithium grease & it is much smoother & quieter now.

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Bingo...

Perfectly normal.

Tack

15. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I thought I had a problem too, at first.

My A2 has the standard fixed stock, and it

boings louder than Tigger bouncing through

the 100 Acre Woods...

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

LOL! :D

I trained on the M14 rifle- wooden stock, heavy, 7.62 NATO. When I went out for transition training to the M16, fired my first shot from this incredibly light rifle- and got a love tap of recoil, and a TWOING! from the buffer spring.

Our cadre started laughing- said M14 shooters always had this puzzled look on the first shot- lack of recoil and the sound.

18. smarquez

smarquez New Member

I boing (M4 clone) and ping(M1 garand). It breaks up the pew, pew, pew monotony of shooting.