Budget Semi auto defense rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by KHickam, May 29, 2014.

1. KHickam

KHickam Member

I am a Vet with a couple disabilities - and I am looking for recommendations on a Budget semi auto defense rifle - somewhere in the $500 range - I have a Mosin Nagant - but it is long and a bolt action - currently my home defense rifle is a 10/22 with a BX 25 magazine shooting CCI Stingers

Any thoughts on guns - I had thought a M1 Carbine would be nice but wow have they gone WAY up in price - :confused:

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

You can build an AR for close to that price. Have you looked around at some of the kits?

3. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Buy the set; auction the shotgun; and you'll probably come real close to $500.

5. Mercator

Mercator New Member

For self defense I'd go with a large pistol caliber. If you don't mind a 45 ACP, the Beretta Storm carbine is as good as they get. Reliable, easy to shoot accurately, and simple inside. It used to be $900, in this market $500. If I didn't have it already, I'd grab one today.

6. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I've seen S&W M&P 15 Sport (AR based 5.56x45) in my area for $569.00. They were being sold at the Great Eastern Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, PA, back in Feb. for $549.00.

I just checked www.atlantictactical.com and they have the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport listed for $555.00

7. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I've seen the older Ruger Mini's go for under $500.

If that's all you can afford then go for one.

Very similar to the M-1 Carbine.

8. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

I'd say AR based with 5.56 capability also. Many options in the .223 and a few specialized ones for self defense. Low recoil and get a laser mounted and sighted in and you won't even have to aim. Just point and pull the trigger where the dot is.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would just keep the 10/22 before I bought another 22. You might want to save for a few more months for a vepr or something bigger than a 22. Right now, you can get a vepr for $880. By the time you save $880 the vepr will be $500 the way prices are dropping on guns. If you can stand a 223 the S&W 15 sport is a bargain. It is better than bits and pieces from different suppliers. You have to add $100 to the price of all the kits because none of them have sights. The gun is optics ready.

Here is a handy tool for finding bargain guns. http://gunwatcher.com/
    Just enter the model of gun that you want in the text box and click search it will find the best deal;

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/rifles/dpms-sportical.html

Here is a good deal. It only takes 10 round magazines but you get 12 magazines with the rifle.
    http://www.classicfirearms.com/paprifle-2

Planet of the apes ugly. cheap ammo and a lifetime warranty

http://www.gilbertsguns.com/Rifles/Hi+Point/Hi+Point+4095TS+40+S+W+Carbine

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  10. bbertram

bbertram New Member

Why not an SKS ? Cheap ammo, and hits hard and accurate.
    Brent

11. targa

targa New Member

Good suggestion. I have never shot one but I would certainly like the opportunity to put a few rounds through one and there kind of cool looking as well.

12. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

keltec is in the price range, people say AR....but there are only a few budget AR's near that price, and not many have a great rep overall.

Attached Files:

13. hawkguy

i have one! they are great!

but i've never seen them below $600 at a retail store though, and they are normally closer to 650-700.....seen some online at the prices you advertise, but once you add FFL and ship and you are well into 600 again.

14. hawkguy

i also second this....the keltec sub 2000 w/ 30 rounds of 40 wouldn't be a joy for a BG to face.....:eek:

well within price range. or a pistol caliber lever.

15. ams556

ams556 New Member

I'll be that guy that says it and gets lambasted...

Hi point carbines - 9mm, 40 or 45 all less than $350 out the door. If you already have a pistol pick the matching caliber if you don't you might be able to pick up a Hipoint pistol and share mags and still be around $500.

I will be the first to admit there are prettier guns out there but my experience says they are just as reliable.

16. hawkguy

but last i tme i saw....the keltec sub 2000 was going for 299....have they gone up? damn cool little gun that accepts glock mags, got a decent rep.....unlike hi-point....lol! :p

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Right now the sub 2000 are all over $400, that is the best price I have seen on them. After my experiences with kel tec I will rake a hi point for $275 any day. When did kel tec get a good reputation?

18. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

you could go sks and keep some stripper clips loaded or theres always the wasr 10 in that price range

19. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I know its not a semi auto, but look into the leverguns. My 357 lever holds 10 rounds, cycles fast and can have a red dot mounted on it...my Rossi is very accurate and very reliable. Plus, a 357 traveling close to 1800 fps would be hell for any two legged critter. Next to that, my vote goes to hi point.

20. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I can believe it, because the root cause of spotty KT reliability is the inconsistent locked breech operation in a small handgun. Their pistol carbines are straight blowback and don't have that problem (so are the HiPoint carbines).