budget scope for rem 700 .30.06

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by clax, Aug 20, 2011.

1. clax

clax New Member

I bought the rifle for 350 bucks second hand at a gunshow a few years ago. It came with some bsa scope on it. It was improperly mounted and when I first shot I think it borke it. I know very little and didn't know anybetter. And I can't seem to sight it in I am shooting worse than I would open sight. I don't want to buy garbage but I don't need top notch products, it is an old second hand rifle after all. I am looking at spending around two hundred dollars at most.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Take a look at the Nikon Pro-Staff line. They're well priced and excellent quality.

I have a Bushnell Trophy on my Eddystone that cost less than $200. and it's a great scope as well.

4. clax

clax New Member

The nikon looks good, and it is in the right price range for me as well.

What do you think about berska is it a decent scope or would I be better off with the nikon brand wise. Of course comparing comperable scopes. Also looking at a bushnell, are those brands in the bsa catagory or a mid range catagory.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'd suggest the Nikon way over the Barska.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

The Nikon Pro Staff is a great choice. I'd also take a look at Vortex. They have a number of scopes that fit into what you are looking for and IMHO, bang for the buck, they can't be beat.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Cane, I dropped a 4-12x40 on my XL7 and I couldn't be happier. I'm offically a fan of Vortex.

9. clax

clax New Member

How do I find out if any scope can take the recoil of my 30.06, I th
    Code:

ink that is what pushed that cheapo bsa over the eadge

10. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Check the Nitrex TR1 scopes still available at Natchez Shooters Supply....you can get something in about a 3-9 power type for $140 or less plus shipping. These are basically same scope as a Weaver Grand Slam that sells for over $260. Darn good optics in it and its internals are more than capable of a 30-06.

11. JT426

JT426 New Member

What about mounting? A good scope is pointless if you have a cheap base and rings that don't even work with the rifle. What kind of scope came with the rifle, and what kind of mounting hardware? Remember, even after you get a good scope, you'll still have to spend a fair amount of cash on mounting hardware.

12. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 on my Rem 700 300 Win Mag.
    That's the same model rifle as yours, but with more recoil on mine. The Nikon Prostaff works great and is about $150. Several others have already recommended it too in this thread. ;)

13. ron12301

ron12301 New Member

Another vote for Nikon prostaff, have two, very good scope for the money.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i've got the nikon prostaff in 4-12x40 on my 25-06, with the bdc reticle. excellent scope. paid $199 + tax. i'm in agreement that no matter what you spend on the scope, it's worthless without good bases and rings. these two items will make all the difference. plus make sure they are mounted correctly!

15. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I just bought a swift premier mil dot riflescope 4.5-14x44 mm for $230.00 and a set of warne tactical series steel rings high height and matte finish they were originally $83 but I got them for $52. Hope to get to the range this week. I think it will work well on my rem. 700 308cal. With a chote tactical stock and my custom made flash suppressor.

let the bullets do the talking!