budget rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by WhelanLad, May 30, 2012.

1. WhelanLad

WhelanLad New Member

Best budget rifle out there guys. Which is it?
    marlin . Vangaurd s2. Tc?
    might go a cheap 308 ... Not sure which. WhTs ya thoughts?

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Savage always gets high marks.

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Savage 10, Howa 1500,

Can't go wrong.

4. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

My howa was 1000$ not so budget

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Marlin XS7 in 308 if wanting a sporter type, or the XS7VH in 308 if weight isn't an issue. both are very accurate, good fit and finish, adjustable triggers and priced very decently. i have the XS7VH in 308, and it is very, very accurate! it was my third X7 rifle bought and won't be the last. i have shot a few of the Savage Axis rifles in different calibers, but not in 308, but they too would be a good choice if on a budget. the Mossberg ATR100 in 308 could also be another good choice. i had an ATR100 in 30-06, very accurate with handloads.

6. willfully armed

Sorry about that, but you paid WAY TOO MUCH.

My last one was $399 from CDNN. 24" bull bbl. 223.

7. tacticalfun

Sure didnt. I have a predator .308

ForumRunner_20120530_222650.jpg

8. tacticalfun

Release system? Charging handle? Extractor? Did you field strip it and clean it? Is it a 60?

9. willfully armed

Oh? Where do you live?

10. tacticalfun

Pa was 850 after tax plus addons

11. willfully armed

Is that why you're asking $1300?

OP wasn't asking about an expensive option. I gave him inexpensive options. You just wanted to......?

12. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54mm $119.00 most places. Best combo of price and use out there.

13. tacticalfun

Mausers are good too. I got a beautiful one in shot gun news for 299. Plus transfer

14. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

what's your budget?

savage axis is a great, accurate, "no frills" rifle for it's price.

i haven't shot these, but they are other options in the entry level category:
    mossberg ATR
    ruger american
    marlin xs7

another option would be a used remington 700 or winchester 70. if you look carefully, for the same money as a new budget gun you can have a nice wood stock instead of all that boring plastic. like my savage axis has. :D

15. michael345

michael345 New Member

What?? Nobody says vanguard s2??? You're cracked!! Best rifle in the history of the worlds 500 dollar rifles. 3 position safety amazing stock with rubberized insets very light crisp trigger the gun itself is a little on the heavy side but has a sub-moa accuracy guarantee. Your search is over your welcome.

16. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

I second the recommendation of a Marlin XL/XS rifle. Have a couple of them.....nice rifles, accurate. Gent I shoot with brought a Mossberg rifle to our range to sight in for his son last deer season.....after a couple of sessions shooting the 7mm-08 Mossberg with his reloads, he commented "I may have to get one of these for myself, this cheap rifle shoots pretty darn good. This guy owns Remington's custom shop $$$$$ rifles and his Savage rifles are not the inexpensive ones either. Another rifle on the inexpensive side to consider is the new Ruger American rifle.....not much on the internet about it from its buyers, but general response is good. As for Steven's 200 or a Savage Axis rifle.....own both and prefer the Stevens based on ones I own. While I don't own one, the Howa 1500/weatherly Vanguard is a good affordable rifle too that you shouldn't go wrong wth either.

17. shootitout

shootitout New Member

Mosin 91/30 from aim surplus $90. $50 brass Stacker scout scope mount. 70$ polymer stock. You got a good set up cheep.
    Or get the carbine m44 more expensive but short.

18. willfully armed

Howa 1500... same gun.... less money.