Firearms Talk banner

Budget AR

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  harkersislandnc 
#1 ·
#2 ·
The PSA and assemble route gives you a much more custom rifle for the money. PSA has good quality for the price point. You'll still need to add optics and mags/ammo, but its the route I'd suggest. Its a good first rifle that doesn't look like a first rifle...:D

#4 ·
This one was just a few cents over $320. The Anderson receivers came from the local gun shop. The handguard, gas block, gas tube, and sights came from eBay. The butt stock is an old DPMS take off I had laying around as was the charging handle. The barrel, flash suppressor, bolt carrier group and lower parts kit came from Midway USA (bought on sale).

It's my son in laws rifle that I posted about in my thread on his conversion to being a gun owner.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/liberals-firearms-124093/

I don't like the sights, they are adjustable and work well, but the adjustment wheels don't lock into place nor do they lock into the deployed position. But what do you expect for less than $10. I'm sure they will get replaced. And the butt stock and charging handle were no cost to him. Still a decent price for a AR.

Attachments

#5 ·
great time to be in the market for an AR too...or for just about anything firearm related. Prices haven't been this low since before the Obama era and I'd expect them to remain so for the next couple of years as well.

#6 ·
right now there are some incredible deals on factory AR's, if you decide to buy instead of build.

there also seems to be some really good deals on parts as well, and going that route does allow you more input into what parts and features you desire in your AR.

right now and i suspect in the coming months, it's buyers market on AR's and parts to build an AR. now is the time to buy. i also think if anyone is looking to expand their AR collection into calibers other than the usual 223/5.56mm format, this is the time to do so.

even the AR10 platform rifles are becoming a bit more reasonable in price, if a person wants to go that direction instead of the AR15 route. this is the direction i'm sort of leaning in right now.

#7 ·
great time to be in the market for an AR too...or for just about anything firearm related. Prices haven't been this low since before the Obama era and I'd expect them to remain so for the next couple of years as well.
Prices will remain low only as long as the manufacturers can continue to make a profit. Once the margin is gone, they will stop producing, move on to something else, or go out of business completely. Supply will dry up, and prices will normalize, or possibly spike again depending on how many manufacturers are still manufacturing.

#8 ·
Table Plant Blue Interior design Wood

Here's a pic of my recently completed AR, as well as a parts/price list. I was on a tight budget, and many of the parts were sourced from eBay. Best of luck!

Lower: 60 (Anderson)
Upper: 71 (Sota)
Mag: 12 (Hexmag)
Muzzle device: 17 (Shark)
Backup sights: 6 (Magpul)
Trigger guard: 8 (Combat Suppliers)
Lower parts: 42 (Anderson)
Buffer: 24 (M Spec)
stock: 20 (Trinity Force)
Gas tube: 14
Gas block: 11 (Xtreme Tactical)
Charging handle: 14 (Xtreme Tactical)
Forward grip: 10...and guard: 37 (Ruger)
Bipod: 19
Flashlight mount: 7
Barrel: $90 (Palmetto)
BCG: $60 (Sota)
Scope: $36 (CVlife)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.