Budget AR optics options

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Jedi940, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Jedi940

Jedi940 New Member

I am close to purchasing my first AR-15. I have already ordered a stripped lower and am just waiting for more money to come around for the rifle kit. In the meantime, I am trying to decide which scope would work best for my rifle. I am trying to keep the price under $200. Additionally, I would like the low magnification to be 2x. Not quite a red dot but still adequate for CQB.

The two I have been considering are the Redfield Revolution 2-7 riflescope for $140
    AND
    Weaver V-10 2-10 for $180

Anyone have experience with either of these or any other options I should consider?

Also, I will need mounts. I would like to cram a scope and a buis all on a flat top AR. It will not have a railed handguard so space is limited.

2. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

3. Jedi940

Jedi940 New Member

I like the Millet DMS-1. That looks like a good option with an illuminated reticle. I know I want something that has magnification because I will be using the AR to shoot from 100 to 200 yards at times. I'm just now sure if 4x will be enough. Targets may include ground hogs :) What is the quality like on the Millet? Is the dot nice and precise? I know it says 1 MOA but is the dot crisp or are the edges messy?

4. lkd

lkd New Member

I'd say it's "Good for a $200 scope".

For 100-200 yards, it will be decent, but if you're really needing accuracy, you should look at a good 4-10x scope -- just remember that a scope doesn't improve the quality of the barrel :)

5. Jedi940

Jedi940 New Member

Very True. I'm just hoping that my Del-Ton upper provides decent accuracy at 200 yards. Haven't yet found any range reports from those uppers.