BuckShots vs Slugs

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Uptown_General_Roc, May 31, 2012.

1. Uptown_General_Roc

Uptown_General_Roc New Member

Do y'all suggest BuckShot or Slugs?

2. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

For what? Need some details.

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Depends on what you plan on using it for.

4. Jkl-28

Jkl-28 New Member

Need to know what u are using them for!?!?
    They both have they're purpose,

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The beauty of a shotgun is the versatility that it provides by being able to select types of ammo for the task. Buckshot for inside 25 yds, and slugs for jobs beyond that, if you are looking at larger game or defensive tasks.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

really depends on the purpose intended. need more information to be able to make any type of informed suggestions.

7. Uptown_General_Roc

Well to be honest just addicted to shooting so I will say target practice ...But I know home Defense I would go with 00BuckShot

8. Axxe55

personally, you will find both expensive to practice with and for HD loads i recommend #4 birdshot, and is much cheaper to shoot. don't anyone take my word for my recommendation, try out #4 birdshot at a distance of 20-30 feet and see how much damage it does before you say it's not enough to get the job done. i have done some informal test with it, and it will penetrate 3/8" plywood and seriously dent and penetrate the quater panel of a car. so IMO, it will do very serious damage to a BG! i found that of the maximum distances in my home, that #4 birdshot will do what i need it to do.

9. Uptown_General_Roc

Yeah I let to just test out on my own anyway to but I get me some birdshot and some 000Buckshot

10. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I use slugs for brown bears and buck shot for all of God's other creatures, four legged or two legged.

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

+1, #4 is what i use too. 00buck will still go through your walls, no slugs for damn sure. Now slugs and buck will be good for outdoor SHTF, just too many variables for indoors

12. Eddy_J

Eddy_J New Member

Since I'm wondering about the same thing, for HD, I got my Mossberg 500 12 GA. #4 Birdshot is less prone to go through walls in a regular house? How's the spread though? Got some very narrow hallways in my house. I like 00 Buck but it just seems to me that I'd rather not have anything go through walls in case I have a loved one behind that wall see..... I also haven't shot #4 but 7 1/2 and slugs yes.

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Today i shot a metal burn barrel with #4 at 10ft with my 12 guage with 18.5" barrel. The pattern was a tight basketball shape pattern. Would be a bad day for a bad guy.

14. Axxe55

pretty much my reasoning also. my shotgun carries 5 rounds of #4 birdshot in the tube and 5 rounds of OO buckshot in the buttstock carrier. like i said, i have done some informal testing and found that at 20-30 feet it the pattern is about 6-8 inches in diameter. with the penetration i get from these loads, i am very confident it will in the very least, take the fight out of the BG, if it doesn't kill him first.

personally, i don't just go and buy a firearm and some ammo and assume that it will do a job. i do my own informal testing and want to see with my own eyes, how much damage it can or can't do before i have confidence in it doing what i need it to do. for years, i also used OO buckshot for HD loads, but have found over the years, it just wasn't truly needed. even #6 or #7 birdshot at extremely close range can kill someone. my question to anyone is this, for HD loads, if #4 birdshot will work, why use OO buckshot?

15. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Same way i think, how long is the barrel on your shotty axxe?

16. Axxe55

18.5 inches. Winchester SXP Defender.

Attached Files:

17. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Ya,buddy.. That'll do :)

18. Uptown_General_Roc

Nice Firearm! ;-)

19. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I was shooting the Remington #4 today, felt like i was shooting slugs. They are pretty potent

20. Axxe55

this is the go to HD shotgun as the wife likes to shoot this one the best of all the shotguns i own, and she is even a pretty decent shot with it. i would not want to be a BG with her on the other end of that shotgun! it would and will end badly for them.

i use the Estate brand #4 birdshot and have to buy them from my LGS as WalMart only carries the Winchester and Federal brands of shells and usually only #6, #7.5 and #8 shot. i will buy the bulk packs of Winchester for just shooting for fun and practice as they are cheap.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012