Buckshot Question

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by hereford, Jul 15, 2010.

1. hereford

hereford New Member

I've got a Remington 870 Express with a rifled barrel for slugs. Is it ok to shoot buckshot out of this barrel as well?

THANKS!!!!!:)

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

rifled barrels are for slugs. the manual will detail what can be shot through your particular gun

3. orangello

orangello New Member

4. user4

user4 New Member

I've always heard NO. You will damage your barrel.

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

It won't cause any damage to your barrel BUT you won't get acceptable patterns due to the rifling in your barrel. I'd suggest you get a plain barrel with or without choke tubes if you want a good pattern any further than 10 yards.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Most likely patterns will not be as good as with a smooth bore. Shot, even buck shot does not like to have any spin. How much worse depends. I do not believe you will damage the barrel. You may get additional fouling that will degrade the slug accuracy. Keep it clean.

7. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I tried it with a Mossberg 500, using a rifled barrel. The patterns were about four times wider than what you would expect from a smoothbore barrel.

Using OO buckshot, the pellets formed a pretty good circle around the center of the target, with no hits in the center.

Using #4 buck, the "doughnut" pattern was less pronounced, with a few hits near the center. Might be a good choice for home defense (ie, indoor distances).

8. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

You have a slug gun, probably has a 26" barrel. Keep it that way. If you want to use shotshells get yourself a smoothbore barrel. There available everywhere for the 870 series.

9. RMc

RMc Member

This buckshot will pattern tight from a rifled barrel.

The biggest buckshot loads on the market are the 12 gauge Dixie Tri-Ball 3" and 3.5" rounds by Dixie Slugs ammunition company.

www.dixieslugs.com

The three .60 caliber hard cast 325 grain pellets are nestled inside a steel shot type wad and will pattern tight in a rifled barrel slug gun or a full/xfull smoothbore. How tight, try 3 to 5 inches at 40 yards.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Y'all have piqued my interest. This sounds like an interesting handloading project. I have found Dixie's receipe for these rounds. I am considering getting a mold for these and loading some of my own.

I will post my results.

11. RMc

RMc Member

8pt Buck taken with Dixie Tri-Ball 3" at 40 yards. This ain't your grandaddy's buckshot!

The first shot was low on this running buck, the second shot pattern ... see the picture:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  12. RMc

RMc Member

Ok for small buckshot:

Flite Control buckshot by Federal is among the best of the conventional small buckshot loads. However, the little .325" 52 grain pellets are lacking in the penetration department given the growing numbers of large wild hogs in many areas of the country.

12 Gauge Tri-Ball 3" Buckshot by Dixie Slugs ammo company, has three .602" hard cast 325 grain (3/4th ounce) hard cast pellets and patterns tighter than any other buckshot load.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  13. RMc

RMc Member

14. RMc

RMc Member

Question:

Are the swaged lead balls contained in a shot cup or do these lead your barrel?

15. RMc

RMc Member

Looking closer:

The picture appears to show one ball in a shot cup and the other open to bore contact with the Nobel double ball load.

16. RMc

RMc Member

Have you tried them in a rifled barrel - since that was the original question posed in this thread?

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

One note on the VERY large "buckshot"- we useta call these punkin balls- before using these for hunting, DO check your state game regs. Here in VA, legal firearms vary from one region to another (well, the TERRAIN varies, so it does make sense) Some areas you can use anything that is not belt fed. (exaggeration, but you get the idea) In other others, no rifles, shotguns only, But in other areas, shotguns only, with buckshot (no slugs) Be careful that what you are using is not classed as a slug if slugs are verbotten. The fish cops have a tough job, but getting a BIG ticket for the wrong ammo may mess up a good hunting trip. 000 buck may be the largest shot NOT considered a slug.

18. RMc

RMc Member

The so called "Punkin Ball" was a "slug" load with a single round ball for a slug.

Buckshot by definition is a multiple ball load. Certainly the technology of buckshot ammo has improved just as shotgun slug ammo has. Some modern sabot slug ammo has a greater maximum danger range than a .44 magnum or 45-70 rifle loaded with common hunting ammo. Yet, we do not question the use of modern slug ammo unless it is specifically prohibited. The same is true of modern buckshot ammo. Unless there is a written restriction on buckshot size in the game regulations, I would not worry about it. After all these are Factory Loaded Buckshot Rounds!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  19. RMc

RMc Member

Compare:

Dixie Tri-Ball to an equal weight of 00B

Attached Files: